“A fantastic Hotel!”

Ranked #15 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Wirral, United Kingdom
“A fantastic Hotel!”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week from the 12th august and we had the best time. When we arrived in crete we were 2 hours late and by the time we got to the hotel at was about 00:30 and we were both shattered, once we had checked in the staff on reception told us they had plated up a small dinner for us if we were hungry, in the main restaurant, it was only a salad with some pork but it was beautiful, wasn't expecting it at all. Once we had finished our dinner we went back into reception where there was a hotel taxi waiting for us to take us to our room. Our room was a standard room but it was pristine and the air conditioning was excellent. We went all inclusive so we weren't sure what the food would be like all week but we didn't have a single problem with it, there was something different everyday but there was something to fit everyone's taste if you are a fussy eater and this was consistent for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We booked to eat at the Italian restaurant on our last night and it was fantastic! I would recommend not eating lunch before going as there was so much food but the quality and the service was brilliant. There were only a few little things that bothered us whilst we were at this hotel for the week, one being the reserving of sun loungers. It clearly says not to but that didn't stop some people getting up at 5:15 to reserve them. My boyfriend would go and reserve two at about 7:30 because otherwise we would not have got any but we would go and have breakfast and be back at the sun loungers for about 8:30/9:00 whereas some people who reserved large numbers of sun loungers wouldn't come back to them until about 3pm! This was very annoying. Another thing was there were two families who had about 5/6 members in each and they would place there towels on the sun loungers so that there were 3/4 empty sun loungers dotted between their ones. My boyfriend and I stayed at the quiet pool as we didn't enjoy the main pool as it was too loud for us as we just wanted to relax, but this sometimes didn't happen because there were some families who thought that they were an exception to the rules of no children under 16 allowed and even though I did not have an issue with children being in that pool if they were behaving, the majority of them were shouting, splashing bombing into the pool and running around and their parents did nothing to stop them. There was also a very small sign on one side of the pool that said no games at the quiet pool and that included no Lilo's but if you hadn't seen it you wouldn't have known. There was a lad lying on one at the side of the pool not in anyone's way not bothering anyone and one of the animation team told him he couldn't do that but didn't say a word to the children under 16 shouting and bombing into the pool at the same time he said to the lad with the Lilo. Another girl told me this happend to her but it was one of the mothers from one of the families with the noisy children who told her she couldn't lie on the Lilo at the side of the pool. We didn't let this ruin our holiday but they were annoyances that shouldn't have happened really. I think there should be monitoring of the sun loungers and the quiet pool to make sure that the beds aren't being reserved and that if some families choose to take their children to the quiet pool that they aren't being noisy and disrupting everyone else around the pool as this was really unfair. Other than that we had an amazing holiday and the staff in the hotel were fantastic and couldn't have done enough for you, they work very very hard, particularly Maria and Giannis in the main restaurant and Ioanna in the bar in the evening. we would definitely recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Rachael2489

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from one of the best hotels I have ever stayed In . I went for a week away with my husband and 2 girls aged 14 and 10 . The hotel was immaculate and the pools some of the cleanest I have ever seen. The accommodation was perfect . We had a family room which meant that the girls had a separate room with proper beds . The air conditioning was just right and adjustable .
The staff were friendly and helpful. The animation team worked extremely hard and provided activities throughout the day . Aqua Zumba and Zumba included .
The choice of pools meant that it never seemed over crowded , the small water park attached was an extra bonus .
Food - always a great variety , and staff were very attentive . During your stay you can also eat once at each of their special restaurants . We tried both the Italian and the Greek . They were brilliant and it was good to try a variety of appetisers .
Entertainment - varied , the acts that came in were of a good standard especially the variety act .
Location - beach a short walk across the road ( use the underpass to access it ) quite a small bay and fairly rocky but still nice .
Caught a bus into the local town of Stalis . Surprisingly easy , timetable on bus stop , and relatively cheap; 6 euros for 4 people . Lots of great gift shops :)
A variety of drinks available , water is always mineral water as is the ice so fine to drink . Girls loved the milkshakes an I loved the frappes .
No real negatives , people have moaned about sunbeds, but I think that is a problem everywhere you go . All inclusive cards not a problem for us . Drinks finishing at 10:30 not an issue .
Overall a fantastic place , and I would definitely recommend this to families with children over 5 .

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Nic0la_J16
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late on the 15th of August to find our room, and three other couples rooms, had been 'cancelled' and we were spending the night in the hotel over the road. We were told we would be upgraded to all including (from half board) and to a superior room for the inconvenience. The hotel over the road wasn't very nice (not the 5 star, the 2 star (guessing) next door)...but it was only for one night so can't really complain. Our rep (Thomas Cook) wasn't happy he hadn't been informed about this by the hotel so I'm not sure if it's a regular thing.
The Grand itself made for a lovely stay-nice variety of food, even with me being a very fussy eater, and the Italian and Greek restaurants on site were gorgeous. Most of the staff were very friendly, the whole place was clean and in a great location for visiting other resorts. There are pools for everyone on site too-family, young children, no children (quiet pool no under 16s allowed) and an indoor spa pool.
Other reviews are right about the wifi, it doesn't work well at all...thankfully we didn't want to be online on holiday so this didn't bother us.
Would definitely stay again, but hopefully in our own room from the start.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny M
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2014

This was our first trip to Crete. Not far from the airport (approximately 20mins). Lovely beach just across the road. The hotel is exceptionally clean and the facilities are great, with four different pools for everyone's needs. Even though the hotel was fully booked when there it did not feel busy. Lots of restaurant's, snack bars to eat at, good selection of food every day. The animation (entertainment) team work very hard day and night with lots of activities to do, including shows in the evening. We booked all inclusive which made it easier for getting food/drinks. The hotel is built on very hilly land but there is a vehicle driving round the complex all day to take you to the top end apartments/pool. The sunbeds do have towels on them from about 8am, but this is no different to any other holiday, we had no problem getting a sunbed during the afternoon. We travelled with two children who loved the pools, activities and evening shows. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are 16 blocks of rooms/apartments. Blocks 1200 - 1600 are higher up the hill. Depends on ind...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Takethatmkfan
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

This was my husband and I's 1st time to Crete and to the Grand Hotel, having read most reviews I sort of new what to expect with the claiming of sun loungers by all nationalities and it is true, they are mostly gone by 7.30am, but eventually you will get them as people come and go, except for the very selfish few who put out there towels from early morning and don't come back ALL day....The hotel and grounds are very well kept and absolutely spotless in every area, the cleaners do a wonderful job. We arrived at 10.30 pm and after check-in we were sent to the dining room for something to eat which I thought was a really nice touch.. I emailed before we went to ask for a room lower than 1000 as those high rooms do have great views but a killer to go up and down especially in near 40 degree heat, but the hotel does have a car that sits at the relaxing pool to take you up and down if needed...We were given room 508 which is between the activity pool and the relaxing pool on the ground floor and it was fine...The room was quite large with twin beds, a large wardrobe and enough drawers to put your clothes in...The only moan I have there is every time you showered the floor was flooded...there is shows on every night but we just went to see two, one was the Light show which was brilliant and the other was Mamma Mia...Think most people where All Inclusive but we were Half Board and the price of food and drink wasn't too bad...there is a bus stop at the end of the driveway and across the very busy road to get to Hersonissis and Stalis...We didn't do any trips but got the bus into those resorts plus Malia....the food in the hotel was of excellent standard and there was always something you would like..We went to the Ala Carte restaurant called the Aegian and it was very good, thank you Maria for explaining all the dishes, and thank you Vasalas for the fun aspect you are great...This hotel is just outside of Stalis and we did also walk to it most nights, its a good 10 minute walk to the start of Stalis and then to walk to the bars and shops another good 10-15 min dander...The relaxing pool is for over 16's only as kids have there own pools with slides and games but they do go into the relaxing pool anyway..We had a lovely holiday here so go open minded bout Sunbeds as the saying goes ( you snooze you lose ) and kids in the adult pool and you will have a great time....

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Tillytara
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2014

August 2014 was our first ever trip to Crete and we chose the Grand Hotel. Couldnt have been more perfect. Spotlessly clean, very friendly (especially George) but all staff were great. We chose all inclusive for this trip which was also our first time doing so and we werent disappointed, the food was amazing no complaints what so ever there, loads of variety. We used buses to get about but Stalis is short walk down the road with a great beach and restaurants and shops. Hotel also has a small super market, fantastic jewellers on site as well. 2 amazing restaurants on site as well which you are entitled to use once each week with all inclusive, recommend the BBQ on a thursday evening. We also hired quads from stalis for 2 days to get about, went to Crete aquarium and Labyrinth theme park. Did the Spinalonga excursion which was ok, cheaper if you book in Stalis rather than with rep. Hotel also has Spa and Gym, didnt use the Spa and the gym is very small with only a few machines. The pools where great but get up early to reserve beds,hotel doesnt seem to mind this. Waterpark on site is great fun, pool side bars and food outlets also available. The whole area is kept immaculately clean at all times, transport up and down the hill for the lazy people available. Evening entertainment everynight. You need to pay for wifi 3euro a day which we didnt bother with. To be honest we had a blast, so much so we are booking for next year at the end of the month again. We went first 2 weeks in august and the weather was brilliant the whole time 35 degrees most days going into 39 a few days. There is a beach across the road, ATM's in Stalis or Hersonnissos.
We did get the bus to Ikerlion for the flea market but ended up in market street instead but still a good place to shop.

Room Tip: we had room 515 which is close to main area and main pool, we also had a superior room which was spo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Brian C
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed in this hotel at the end of July and it was the best holiday I've ever had. It was a large hotel complex with a main pool with animation team and games etc, a quiet pool for aged 16 years plus, a fun pool and a 'water park' with views of the Nana beach across the road. I did request a room below 1000 as I had read about the steep trek to rooms and my room which was room 814 had a nice view of the quiet pool from the balcony. If you have mobility issues, you would need a room nearer the main pool on ground floor as there was still quite a steep walk to my room. Although you can get a ride up to your room, sometimes you want to nip back to your room if you've forgotten something. Higher numbered rooms would be a very steep trek.
Sunbeds are an issue at this hotel. I did have to reserve mine as if I hadn't, there would be none left. At 7:30 am, there were only about a third left at the quiet pool and I did notice that somebody reserved one by the main pool at 12:30 am! Completely ridiculous! People also reserved their sunbeds and went out for the day. Some didn't even return to them.

The location of the hotel isn't that close to anything. The road is pretty busy and there are a lot of quad bikes in 'pedestrianised' areas. This did prove dangerous on a couple of occasions so I ended up taking a taxi to Stalis which was about 8 euros. I would also recommend visiting the old town of Hersonissos. We went to a traditional Greek evening with Greek dancers and a singer in the street. An amazing atmosphere and you can't help but join in with the dancing. It's about 15 euros each way by taxi so not too cheap but well worth it. Also, took the trip to Spinalonga which we booked through Thomas Cook. I loved San Nicholas. There is a bus that goes there from outside the hotel and it's only about 4 euros - a 45 min bus ride.

The hotel room was fairly basic but a fridge facility is good especially for water. The balcony was also pleasant.

Food was okay but it is a buffet style and the hotel is catering for a massive amount of people. The A La Carte restaurant was lovely and one visit to this as well as the Pizzeria is included in your one week stay.

I wished that I had been all inclusive as drinks were expensive. A coke or even a water was 1 euro 80. Cocktails were 6 euros. However, the all inclusive end time of 10.30 pm is a con as that's when the music and disco begins. I think it should continue until at least midnight. It was also a nuisance having to carry money on me for drinks. Next time, I would definitely go all inclusive.

I really enjoyed this hotel and my daughter had an amazing time. The only downside is its location although the bus service is ok and it's possible to hire a car. I loved this part of Greece and would like to return sometime in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms below 850 are within walking distance to the hotel/restaurant. A room overlooking the quiet po...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family