“Amazing Hotel, Mostly Flawless” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Holiday Resort

Grand Hotel Holiday Resort
Ranked #17 of 178 Hotels in Hersonissos
London, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing Hotel, Mostly Flawless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Grand Hotel in Crete is an outstanding hotel with many amenities suitable for any age!

The accommodation is brilliant, with comfortable beds, lots of storage space, a perfect shower and a fridge; well, at least the hotel I stayed in, anyway. My family had trouble with the rooms as our room was double-booked, therefore we had to stay in another room for one night, which was, to say the least, not as good. Hard beds, a small balcony (our main one had a front garden) and little to no storage space was in it. This, however, was not a family room so did not need as many, yet it was still rather plain and boring.

Grand Hotel is right in the middle of 2 wonderful tourist attractions: to the left is the town of Hersanossos and to the right is the town of Stalis. Both are home to beaches and shops, including many tavernas and cocktail bars. They aren't too far out and a decent beach is right in front of Grand Hotel, so you have many choices if you are one for venturing! Many of the reviews here say that the hotel itself is on the side of a hill, so it is a slight steep journey. THIS IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT. I was lucky enough to have a room that was quite down low, but at the very top of the hotel, where the fun pool, games room and church are, you have to journey, and journey good. They do offer free transfers if you are incapable of reaching these heights, but waiting for a 'taxi driver' every time you need to get back to your room is something of an inconvenience. I appreciate Grand Hotel cant do much to fix this, but it is a problem nevertheless.

Ah, the food. The sweet, sweet food. Meats, pastas, fish, stews, burgers, pizzas, breads, fruits, an amazing array of dessert, it's all here! The quality and variety of the food is incredible and you know the food must be good when you don't like mushrooms yet the mushroom tart is one of your favourite foods. That's just the buffet, though. Of course, there is the other side to the food: the a la carte side! I went to the 'Aegean Restaurant' (which I tried caviar in, bucket list almost complete!) which gave us a salad of our choice, fish or meat and dessert, as well as a selection of starters like cheese platters, stuffed courgettes and many other international cuisines. This is Michelin star quality, we're talking about. Definitely the most flawless part of the hotel, and kudos to the staff who showed us to our seats and took our orders of drinks and a la carte food in rapid succession.

Finally, Grand Hotel has so many, so so many things to do and look around. 4 themed pools, a free internet room, water slides (which are absolutely 10/10 and a great surprise), a games room, a church, an amphitheatre, a mini supermarket, daily activities with the animation team, who offered you once and then left you alone, which was good and many pool bars scattered around the complex. All of these are great and gave no inconvenience to me or my family: except for one thing. The net lines in the games room provide 20 minutes of internet and a wide range of video games for 1 euro. Me and my sister used 1 each, neither of which worked. The internet did not connect to Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer; every game I played lagged to the point where it took minutes for the screen to move. This was 2 euros down the drain, 2 euros we could have used in a village buying souvenirs for this otherwise wonderful place.

Certain rooms, the hill and the net lines are the only problems I encountered; on the other hand,
this is a fantastic hotel and the best one I have ever been to! 5/5 stars!

Room Tip: Family rooms/ the '800 block' are the best rooms I found; my neighbours were quiet, it is ri...
1 Thank Benjamin D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This hotel is a very deserving 4 Star. We are staying in this hotel during the peak weeks of early August and despite the fact that the hotel is at full capacity, we are amazed by the staff of this hotel. Without exception, the restaurant,bar and reception staff are welcoming and good humoured. For a significant birthday, Reception ordered a beautiful birthday cake and I was presented with it after buffet dinner. I have no idea how or why but it was a very thoughtful surprise.
The hotel is immaculate throughout, food is excellent and the facilities are great. Getting a sunned isn't a problem and the pool surroundings are very spacious so you don't feel hemmed in as is often the case when you are poolside anywhere in early August. This is a hotel that I would love to come back to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Henry186609
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Grounds of the hotel are very nice, clean, colourful. We were on a half board plan thus only our breakfast and dinner were included. The food was good but more international than Greek which was ok although we would rather have more local food. However we did find it quite annoying that we were charged for towels, wifi and the use of the in-room safety deposit box. Other hotels in our trip did not charge extra for such amenities. A bonus though was having the car rental company right in the hotel for easy pick up and drop off.

1 Thank floshel
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I had a great holiday time here,with my wife,between 7th and 14th of July !Nice architecture,really pleasant gardens,well mentained and rich in plants and flowers,clean swiming pools,very clean public area and rooms ! The food selection is really good,a lot of items,fresk,nicely coocked,always ready for us ! I would like to highligt some member of the staff : Nicky-the receptionist,Nicolas-the waiter,Vasilis-Aegean restaurant Head Waiter ! There is only major problem : every single day a noticed most of the sunbeds around the pools are "booked" with towels,althought is write "no reservation".I believe the pool staff should take away these towels,to let all the clients to enjoy the sunbeds and the pool.In the night is empty,at 8 a.m is full of towels but no people around .So,remove the towels !

2 Thank SteffStelian
Lutterworth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Have just got back from this wonderful hotel where I stayed for 1 week (19th-26th July)with my two teenage daughters. I was rather nervous at first as we have never been abroad, from the minute we got there until the day we left it was excellent service all the way. We were greeted by a wonderful porter and the receptionist booked us in at 8:45pm, got us checked in really quickly and told us that the restaurant was open for us to eat. The porter drove us up to our room as the hotel is built on a hill, fortunately our room was near the bottom!! If however you are at the top there is a car on standby all day until late by the main pool, that will take you wherever you want on the complex. The room was quite plain but had everything we needed, lovely balcony, hot shower, daily maid service, air conditioning and a comfy bed.
The pools were all excellent. The main pool has an animation team that keep everyone entertained for most of the day, zumba and aqua aerobics were a must, they also kept us entertained in the outside ampitheatre with their shows in the evening.The animation team work really hard and thoroughly deserve their Thursday off. We didn't venture out much. We had a day in Stalida which is a 10 minute walk and hired 2 beach chairs and an umbrella for 4 euros. There is a bus that goes between Heraklion and Malia every 20 mins until late, the stop was right outside the hotel.
The restaurant, waiters and staff were excellent. They could not do enough for you. The shop at the bottom of the hotel was excellent and open until 11pm. This was a great place to buy our pool floats. They were cheaper than the shop down the road and they inflated them for us and re-topped up with air whenever we wanted.
We had an absolutely fantastic holiday from start to finish. I would highly recommend this hotel and cant wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the bottom of the complex and if you cant get one make full use of the porter in hi...
1 Thank Helen L
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have just returned from a really great holiday in Crete, staying for 7 nights, all inclusive at the Grand Hotel. What a lovely, well laid, out clean hotel, with a great variety of activities for everyone. The staff worked very hard , from the kids club to the cleaners, the waiters and waitresses to the entertainment staff. What really made my holiday was my discovery of Zumba, which we did every day at the pool to great music and with an amazing instructor called Lynsey! She had some great routines and has inspired me to carry on at home, although I know I will never find an instructor like her. Really recommend this hotel, mainly because of the excellent service from the Animation team and the waiting staff.

Room Tip: If you have young children or you just need to pop into your room during the day, I would recommend...
3 Thank Vicky J
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

The hotel is located in a very quiet area between two little towns. Both places are walking distance from the hotel. Area is not very busy but unless you are looking for some wild parties, it's a very nice place to spend your holiday. The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable. If you have luck to get one of the rooms in the first levels (the hotel goes very high up the hill which might not be very comfortable) you will really like the place. The staff service is excellent (except from the animations, which I am not sure is more the case of animators or not very cooperative tourists themselves).

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the lower levels.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family