“Brilliant location”

Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed here for 11 nights in September. Stayed half board as not keen on all inclusive option Couldn't fault anything about the hotel. From the time we arrived everyone was so friendly. Our room was lovely, on the ground floor looking out to sea. We had a nice little patio area and we used it several times during our stay. Room itself was large and spotlessly clean. The amenites there too were great. Food although buffet service was nice although I did prefer the a la carte restuarant but that is my personal preference
The location was brilliant and only a ten minute walk from Stalis which we preferred rather than Hersonnis. If you like walking, go up to the mountain villages. It is uphill some of the way but we are nearly sixty and found it perfectly okay, worth it when you get there. The bus service is straight outside the hotel and places are easy to get to.

Room Tip: Our room was just around the corner from the theatre but it did not affect sleep or anything as show...
1 Thank Pamela A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bishopton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I won't bore you you with a long winded review of this hotel. Just look at all the good ones and I can assure you they are spot on! We stayed all inclusive and it was great value. Hire a car for a few days, go to Spinalonga, swim in a beautiful bay off the back of a boat, visit the mountain villages, visit Agios Nicolas, Heraklion, Rethymno. Walk into Stalis and Hersonisos. Forget about lying around the pools and enjoy Crete and it's lovely hardworking people. A great value holiday in a terrific location, we'll be back! Remember just live life!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Richard H
Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I (young mid 60’s) have just returned from a lovely 2 week Half Board stay (23rd September to 7th October) at the Grand Hotel, Hersonissos/Stalis, Crete arranged through Thompson Holidays. We would thoroughly recommend the hotel and Crete. As mentioned in reviews the hotel stands on a hillside (as do others in the area). It is not one single building but a number of independent units. My first impression of the hotel was very smart but a little isolated. Lookily this turned out not to be the case thanks to an excellent bus service with stops (number 25) just outside the hotel and Hersonissos/Stalis being walkable. The hotel does not have a beach front, but does have 3 pools with plenty of free sun loungers. We used the sea front facilities of the Nana Beach (All Inclusive) Hotel across the road which has a lovely landscaped sea front and beach. Unfortunately because we were not guests we had to pay 15 euros per day for 2 sun loungers and a parasol. There are small beach areas near by but they just back onto scrub land.

The temperature while we were their was daily around 27C/28C with bright sunshine and only odd wisps of cloud.

All the staff at the Grand Hotel regardless of role were excellent. Everywhere was very clean. Rooms were fine, although like most of the hotels in this area the balconies are North facing so get very little sun. Some of the rooms have been refurbished and are very smart, others including our room were a little knocked around the edges, this is not the hotels fault but that of not very careful guests. The room included a refrigerator that is free to use and a safe for which the hotel charge 17 euros per week. I do not know if there is a charge for the "air conditioning" as we did not use it. Towels were changed daily and were soft (which makes a snugly change).

The breakfast and dinner were very good with always something to take your fancy. The fruit being especially good, but not as good as the desserts (according to my wife).

We used the bus to Agios Nickolas one Wednesday and Heraklion/Irakion one Saturday to coincide with their bazaars. I personally would not go out of my way visit them as they are both geared for locals with copious fruit and vegetable stalls. The one at Agios Nickolas does have a few clothes stalls as does the one at Heraklion, but here it is just a jumble of tatty clothing oddments heaped on tables to rummage through. Agios Nickolas and Heraklion are worth a bus trip to walk around. Agios Nickolas is particularly attractive around its harbour. The Grand Hotel reception desk had some Eastern Crete bus timetables.

We did intend to visit other places and explore the countryside in Crete by bus but underestimated how large Crete was and how difficult it was to connect more than one bus together. So, if you plan to explore it is either by organised excursion or hire a car. In the Grand Hotel reception was a car hire desk. The price list showed (if I remember correctly) a Toyota Aygo could be hired for 40 euros per day, 100 euros for 3 days. All the hire cars were in excellent condition (like new).

We went on one trip booked through Thompsons to walk through the Samaria Gorge (11.5 miles). This was run by TUI (which seems to be Thompsons German operation). Because of distance we had to travel to the gorge, the coach pick was 05.10am, finally dropping us off back at the hotel 11.00pm. The coach journey awesome on the minor roads. Brilliant scenery. The gorge was spectacular (not to be missed), but because of the distance you had to walk, the rocky terrain underfoot and a deadline to meet a ferry at the other end to transport you back to your coach you could not fully appreciate the scenery and dramatic splendour of the gorge. Unfortunately for us this was compounded. Although we are keen walkers my wife fell while walking in Heraklion and badly bruised her left knee the day before our gorge walk and could not walk fast. This meant we were against the clock all the way, with no time to stop for food and only making the ferry with 10mins to spare. There are toilets at some of the picnic areas on route but be aware these are a Turkish style (holes in the floor) which seem to attract an abundance of wasps and mosquitoes.

The highlight of the holiday for my wife were visits to the Aqua World in Hersonissos. You catch the bus to stop 20, turn up the side road by Spar and just round the first bend it is on your left hand side. It costs 6 euros each initially, but you can then return as many times as you like for free. It is not big but you can get close to lizards and handle snakes (all non poisonous). John and his wife are so enthusiastic about their reptiles and the work they do rescuing reptiles and fish that you cannot help but be enraptured yourself. What better way to broaden yours and your children’s appreciation of nature. Definitely worth a visit.

And finally (phew)! When the Thompson flight arrived at Heraklion we disembarked at the same time as a Polish flight that had just arrived. Needless to say passport control was like a rugby scrum with people pushing and shoving. There was a young airport girl there I suppose to bring some sort of order but she was out of her depth. When I decided I had had enough of being jostled I walked over to see her only to be told if I was off the Thompsons flight I could just walk by the side of passport control where an airport official just checked I had a Red Passport and nodded my wife and I through. It appears Eastern Europeans may have a different "Entry Process" so if you arrive in the same situation do not get mixed up with their queue.

Room Tip: If you are not a fit person request a room lower down the hill. Our room 1117 was about midway. Th...
3 Thank TerryfromCheshire
Bolton
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We have just returned from staying at this hotel between 27/9 and 7/10 and can honestly say that we were not able to find fault with any aspect of the hotel, the staff, the service, the food or the location.

The hotel is stunning, with fantastic views of the sea and mountains which surround it. The whole of the complex is extremely well looked after with all areas immaculately clean and well presented, especially the pool areas which are gorgeous The restaurant is lovely, particularly the outside seating area and the food most definitely 4*.

What really makes this hotel special is the staff - every mealtime we were greeted by the restaurant manager (George) and shown to our table. The waiters and waitresses, particularly George (another one!) were welcoming and could not do enough for us. It is lovely to be able to get to know the people looking after you and we appreciated the time taken to talk to us. The animation team worked tirelessly, day and night, to provide activities and entertainment. Despite the long hours, the team were always chatty and friendly and took time to have a conversation both during the day and in the evenings. The staff at the pool bar were very friendly and helpful, even going out of their way to help us to plan routes for driving around the island. The waiters and waitresses in the lobby bar were also fantastic.

Other reviewers have commented on the location so I won't go into too much detail, other than to say that the hotel is perfectly placed for visits to Hersonissos, Stalis and Malia, as well as further afield.

We had a fantastic holiday at the Grand Hotel, and will definitely be looking to return next year!

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I arrived Sunday afternoon to be greeted by a lady receptionist who had difficulty in explaining in English arrival procedures and directions to our accommodation,she then became increasingly irritated as I asked for clarity, no porterage was available as apparently the porter was on her break, the lifts were not functioning and we had to carry our luggage up stairs and across the swimming pool area stepping around sunbathers along the way to our allotted room, how awful was that. The room was clean and a good size however the bath shower screen allowed water to leak out and onto the floor which meant continually mopping up for some time after use, the sink plug allowed the water to escape and in the end the solution was to leave the tap running slowly, after a man arrived to fix these problems the situation remained the same although he did change the loose tap on the sink.Instructions on how to operate the air conditioning would have been useful and their noise might be a problem for some. The Head Waiter in the A La Carte Restaurant having trouble explaining the menu to my wife decided that raising his voice and being over bearing would solve the situation, how awful was that. These things aside we found the staff to be very efficient and pleasant both in the Restaurant and Bars although the food on offer was somewhat unimaginative and plain for a four star Hotel. The Greek themed entertainment on two nights was excellent and the children were having a whale of a time most nights.Tea and Coffee making facilities in the room would have been nice and an after dinner coffee service in the Restaurant would have been even better. Apart from these niggles which were important at the time we enjoyed our stay at the Grand although four stars seem to be optimistic. Beware of the steep slopes to the apartments and also that all accommodation is divorced from the main building and rises from the bottom swimming pool. Take care if you want to go to the beach or catch a bus to Hersonisssou as crossing the busy main road below the Hotel entrance takes great vigilance.

Room Tip: The apartments rise quite steeply at the resort so if you are not particularly fit choose have one l...
4 Thank AlanGeorgeHay
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Returned home on 05/10/12 from 2 weeks at the Grand Hotel. Enjoyed every minute. Everyone will tell you the same the Hotels clean and tidy, foods good and staff friendly and talkative, all this is very true but the real value of the hotel is the big picture. Its a great location ( With the exception to be honest for those that want to get around but can't easily manage if you get my drift, but if they are happy with not travelling too far then its still good for them too) for the rest of us transport to and from the hotel is good. main bus route right outside the hotel and buses are cheap, its easy to walk into local resort 15 minutes. it's ideally situated for exploring coastal area from Hersonisos (3.2 Euro's)to Agios-nickolos(about 7 Euro's and 40 minutes away) so your not stuck for somewhere to go and you don't need to pay for excursions when its so easy to do it yourself. Taxi's always seem to cost 7 Euro's whereever you are going locally for instance up to the villages of pisco-piano or Kutalafari (Sorry if my spellings incorrect) what a nice Island what nice people everywhere we went people were polite and genuinely friendly. Weather was brilliant 14 days of temp in the 30+ and not a drop of rain.
The hotel is smart and modern yet influenced by an art deco design which made it very atractive. the layout took a lot of thought and hide the size and gave everyone a feeling of space and intamacy. On our first week there were 3 restaurants open but the Pizza restaurant closed for end of season during our second week. The Agean restaurant was very nice A la carte and the main self service restaurant served a good variety of interesting and tasty food and always had a carvery.

We did like the atmosphere around the pool bar and think that the hotel missed a trick by not keeping this open in the evening, The lounge bar was nice especially on the terrace but at times it was a bit quiet. entertainment was simple but enjoyable and the animation team worked incredibly hard to keep everyone happy as did the whole hotel staff. I think the all inclusive drinks finishing at 10:30 needs reviewing but that didn't break the bank because by then I probably only had a few drinks after that. Sports during the day was good with water polo and volley ball,also aquasize and Zumba.

This was our first trip to Greece, let alone Crete, we absolutely loved it, had a brilliant time, loved the Hotel, the resort, the people, the food we could go on but you get the message!

Room Tip: Our room was great we were near the large pool
2 Thank Alan P
Scotland
Reviewed October 7, 2012

....little things let it down. First of all I would stay there again myself and would recommend it to my friends. The staff, bar one, are all very friendly and most have a decent grasp of English which is good for a barbarian monoglot like me. The house maids have a wonderful way of singing 'Calimara' to you in the morning which I never got tired of. The restaurant staff seem to be able to greet guests in most languages and one in particular seems to speak Esperanto like a native. The restaurant was always clean and well laid out with good, appetising food at breakfast and dinner. I was on half board so cannot comment on lunch. Not sure of the hot dog sauseges for breakfast though. Some minors - the desserts are a cold buffet and the plate warmers are on. Not good for the ice cream. Nae stodge and custard for a thick blooded Scot - forgiveable I suppose. Empty salt cellars and the outside ones having the salt so damp it won't pour. Remember the old trick with some rice grains? The soup was either packet or stock but the selection of breads to go with it was much more exciting than the soup!

The main pool has music with it from the entertainment team on most days so being a BOB I avoided it except for the one day the team had their day off. Very nice pool with a bar. There is also a quiet pool without a bar. Again very nice. The main bar is open in the evening with a good selection of drinks. Nae malt whiskies although plenty de-lux blends. The Mythos lager is pretty tasty for a thirst quencher.

My room was large, well appointed, clean and it strikes me that all have a balconey or small patio area. Two high backed chairs were in the room but a lounger would have been appreciated. Most of all I liked the quiet of being end of season in a comfortable hotel.

Now - remember 'the staff, bar one, are friendly'. I was on the Samaria Gorge trip with a 5 AM start and a 11 PM finish for wich I asked for early and late cold meals. No problem. Got back at 11 PM after a great but hard day totally knackered. There was disco on which I really wanted to just have nothing to do with so asked if I could take my plated meal to my room. Notwithstanding language and accent problems it seemed fine. Having taken my cold platter back tomy room I was just about to go to the bar to get some wine to wash it down when the hotel heavy (Security) is at my door agressively demanding to know why I had taken my meal to my room? According to him it 'upsets the guests.' All news to me. Anyway - I kept the meal but in a fit of pique stormed out of the hotel and bought my wine for 5 EUs at Gorty,s sopermarket instead of 17 EUs at the bar. I really feel that this was an unneccesary incident blown out of all context by the heavy and probably now being blown out of context by me. I looked in the hotel literature for any prohibition on meals in the rooms and could not find any, and if there is this is the first hotel I have ever been in with one.

But yes I would go back - but the meals in rooms policy needs sorting out.

Room Tip: There is a steep hill so if you have mobility problems make sure you ask gor a ground floor room at...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo