“Should be 5 but.....”

Grand Hotel Holiday Resort
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed October 7, 2012

....little things let it down. First of all I would stay there again myself and would recommend it to my friends. The staff, bar one, are all very friendly and most have a decent grasp of English which is good for a barbarian monoglot like me. The house maids have a wonderful way of singing 'Calimara' to you in the morning which I never got tired of. The restaurant staff seem to be able to greet guests in most languages and one in particular seems to speak Esperanto like a native. The restaurant was always clean and well laid out with good, appetising food at breakfast and dinner. I was on half board so cannot comment on lunch. Not sure of the hot dog sauseges for breakfast though. Some minors - the desserts are a cold buffet and the plate warmers are on. Not good for the ice cream. Nae stodge and custard for a thick blooded Scot - forgiveable I suppose. Empty salt cellars and the outside ones having the salt so damp it won't pour. Remember the old trick with some rice grains? The soup was either packet or stock but the selection of breads to go with it was much more exciting than the soup!

The main pool has music with it from the entertainment team on most days so being a BOB I avoided it except for the one day the team had their day off. Very nice pool with a bar. There is also a quiet pool without a bar. Again very nice. The main bar is open in the evening with a good selection of drinks. Nae malt whiskies although plenty de-lux blends. The Mythos lager is pretty tasty for a thirst quencher.

My room was large, well appointed, clean and it strikes me that all have a balconey or small patio area. Two high backed chairs were in the room but a lounger would have been appreciated. Most of all I liked the quiet of being end of season in a comfortable hotel.

Now - remember 'the staff, bar one, are friendly'. I was on the Samaria Gorge trip with a 5 AM start and a 11 PM finish for wich I asked for early and late cold meals. No problem. Got back at 11 PM after a great but hard day totally knackered. There was disco on which I really wanted to just have nothing to do with so asked if I could take my plated meal to my room. Notwithstanding language and accent problems it seemed fine. Having taken my cold platter back tomy room I was just about to go to the bar to get some wine to wash it down when the hotel heavy (Security) is at my door agressively demanding to know why I had taken my meal to my room? According to him it 'upsets the guests.' All news to me. Anyway - I kept the meal but in a fit of pique stormed out of the hotel and bought my wine for 5 EUs at Gorty,s sopermarket instead of 17 EUs at the bar. I really feel that this was an unneccesary incident blown out of all context by the heavy and probably now being blown out of context by me. I looked in the hotel literature for any prohibition on meals in the rooms and could not find any, and if there is this is the first hotel I have ever been in with one.

But yes I would go back - but the meals in rooms policy needs sorting out.

Room Tip: There is a steep hill so if you have mobility problems make sure you ask gor a ground floor room at...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank DM41Scotland
Write a ReviewReviews (1,121)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week all inclusive at the Grand and could not have wished for a better holiday. After reading a couple of below par reviews I had to write in.

Arrival : our flight was delayed by one hour, so we arrived quite late at 12.30 in the morning, after we were swiftly checked in , having our photo taken for our all inclusive pass card by very polite reception staff, we were taken to the restaurant were we were given a meal and drink of our choice. We were then taken by car to our room by a cheerful porter.

Room : we had a brilliant room with a sea view and Looking out onto the quiet pool. All beech furniture, large comfortable bed, plenty of storage, and a nice balcony. Power shower and bath with wall mounted hair dryer. Free air conditioning. The towels were changed everyday and the room kept spotless ! There is no kettle, but this was not a problem as we took a travel kettle and some tea bags, all we needed to do was buy a bottle of milk. There is a fridge and Tv. The TV only has English news channels but we didn't go on holiday to sit in a room and watch TV, so it was there to just to keep in touch with what was happening back home.

Restaurant: Plenty of choice, we could not think of anything else they could have put out on the buffet. There is something for everyone. The maitre di, George was great fun but hardworking and the restaurant manager had very high standards and ran the restaurants and bars efficiently. We had a meal booked for one night each week at the pizzeria, this could easily be changed at reception to whatever night you wanted. Very nice and very filling! a choice of pizzas and pasta's with a starter of salad and a choice of desserts and drinks. You also have one night a week at the al a carte restaurant, you get meze , small tasters to start, then a choice of salad, a choice of main and then desserts, and drinks of corse.
We also had a barbecue night on the second week with traditional Greek dancing and music, this cost 8 euros for all inclusive and 18euros for half board guests. It was well worth the pennies as it was delicious food and great entertainment.
There is an additional restaurant by the main pool which also caters for half board guests during the day and lunch time.
So anybody who says there is not much choice or it is repetitive must be very fussy eaters.!

Location: The hotel is situated between Hersonissos and Stalis. It's about a fifteen minute walk into Stalis or a 1.75 euro bus ride. The bus stops directly outside the hotel and from there you can also travel to Hersonissos. Just up from the hotel is a supermarket and car hire places. We hired a car from the hotel car hire company for one day for 55 euros which is a good way to explore the island if you want to go that little bit further. For getting about locally the busses are great or you could hire a quad bike as we did, with crash helmets of corse! To explore the gorgeous coves along the coast. There is a beach just across the road at the front of the hotel where you can hire sun beds and brollies for 5 euros each.
The hotel is built on a hill, but they seem to put the younger generation to the top end. Here they have a children's pool and kids club.
We were on the second level near the quiet pool which was no problem , they also have drivers and cars situated around the hotel if anybody needed a lift. There is a small shop and jewellery shop in the hotel and a doctor on site every day.

Theatre: The animation group is made up of about 6 people and do a very good job, lead by Luca they put on a show every night except Wednesdays which is their day off. They also run the activities around the main pool during the day.very entertaining !

Pool & beach towels : a deposit of 5 euros per towel per week, this can be changed for clean ones each day at the wellness centre and your deposit is returned at the end of your stay. There were a couple of people who reserved sun beds with their towels but this was not a problem as there was always plenty available.

Safe key: the safe is in your room and is advisable to use wherever you go. A not returnable deposit of 20 euros.

All inclusive : once they got to recognise you we only used the ID card once or twice. The all inclusive does finish at 10.30pm but we did not find this a problem as by that time after a day in the hot sun and out exploring we were ready to retire to our room. Water for your room is 40 cense for a litre at the pool bar which is cheap enough but we also used to order two free small bottles with our lunch and use those as a top up.

Tour rep: We travelled with Thomas Cook and Stu the travel rep was at the hotel every morning and evening except Monday which is his day off.

All in all a brilliant holiday and a great hotel, I have been to a few Greek hotels and usually their 4 stars are on par with our 3 stars but this is definitely a 4.

Room Tip: Quiet pool room overlooking the sea, 1020 to 1035
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Shopaholic700
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our fourth stay and received a friendly welcome as always and, despite arriving late into the evening (and after a full evening shift for the restaurant staff), had a cold buffet meal before we went to our room.
We opted for a room upgrade this time and our room was modern, well decorated and had the usual mod-cons (other than tea/coffee making facilities). Our room was conveniently located for all the hotel attractions - other reviews have noted the steep slopes so do ask when booking or booking in.
Being a regular gym user (I know even on holiday !!) the one disappointment continues to be the lack of cv equipment despite having the room in the facility for lots more - a couple more cycles and a couple of rowing machines wouldn't go amiss.
The other only gripe is the relaxation (probably against the better judgement of the hotel staff) of the dress code in the dining room in the evening. Football shirts and cut-off jeans (together with some appalling table manners) diminishes the 4 star quality of the hotel.
That said we had a fantastic time, great weather and fully recharged our batteries.
We'd recommend the Grand Hotel to others.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the higher part of the hotel if you don't want a walk up (and down) the sloping h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hullbeekeeper
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Lovely staff, very willing to help whenever needed. Definitely worth asking for lower room, we were in block 9, easy to get to reception from there, really steep hill if you are further up, not much fun in summer! All inclusive great value, only problem was that food became a bit repetitive, lack of sunbeds caused by ignorant people, one group had towels on from 11 am to 3 pm while they weren't even there!! That was the only problem that we had while there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in either block 9 or below as it is quite a steep climb otherwise, although car was a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank GailMaidstone
Reviewed September 20, 2012

we have stayed in crete many times but never at this hotel so was a bit worried having seen some of the reviews on tripadviser i needent have worried it was one of the best holidays we have had in crete it is a fantastic hotel made all the better by the wonderfull staff nothing is to much trouble for them and they are all so freindly the hotel is spotless clean and the food is great the grand chidren had a fab time and want to go back next year come to think of it so do i . are room was cleaned every day with fresh sheets on the bed and fresh towels in the bathroom

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank josephine r
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Havin dropped off numerous other guests during the airport transfer we were sat in worry waitin for our hotel as the others looked 'average'.

When we did arrive the first thing you saw was the outstanding front o the hotel and also a cleaner mopping the front step which was a good sign straight away.

This carried on throughout the hotel as it was spotless, modern and clean cut.

Having been to Mauritius for our honeymoon last year it was hard work finding somewhere in Europe at a similar footing but at a third of he price but I can tell you that this hotel is spot on. The rooms are modern, clean and spacious. The pools, mainly the adult one as that's were we rated every day, is chilled out and again clean.

The bar area by the pool is complete with comfortable seating and an excellent view of the mountains behind. The drinks are reasonably priced, about 12p for 1.5l of water! And more importantly about £2 a beer. Being a red wine drinker, didn't find the Greek wine to nice but that might be down to me.

The restaurant is spot on, plenty of choice and constantly refilled with fresh food both during breakfast and dinner, as we were half board.

We visited Stalis, 15 minute walk away and ate at the romantic corner taverna, as soon as you teach the beach road to Stalis...lovely place with an lovely view of the bay. Cheap as well. We went twice. About €35- 40 for a good meal with drinks for 2 people.

Besides the buffet meals you are booked into the hotel pizzeria and a la carte restaurant as well. The pizzeria is ok, filling! but the a la carte is quality. Lovely food and the waiters work off their feet to make it a special night.

Didn't see much of the entertainment, but there is some going on every night.

Had a lovely time with my wife and we can't fault it in any way.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Mitchellliverpool
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel and resort delivered everything that we hoped for - a relaxing holiday where we could re-charge our batteries. We booked an all-inclusive package since we were banking on spending most of our time at the hotel. Our holiday started badly due to a flight delay of 8 hours and so we arrived at the hotel between midnight and 1am. The welcome we got when we arrived was first class. After a quick check-in they prepared a table and a meal for us and then we were swiftly taken to our room. This set the standard for the whole holiday and really the level of service from all areas of the resort was first class. The layout of the resort is great and all areas are very well maintained. In particular the pools and surrounding areas are very well looked after and probably the highest standard we have come across. The hotel does have a slight problem with rules that don't seem to be enforced 100% but nothing that affected our enjoyment and nothing that would make us think twice about returning. The standard of food and drinks was pretty much what we expected from a 4 star hotel. I think with a buffet you always want a bit more choice but we always found something tasty to eat and decent wine and beers to accompany it. The entertainment staff tried hard but without Luca who is their main man then I think they would struggle. They provided a few giggles in the evening entertainment shows and as I said they were enthusiastic. Our room (in block 400 - ideally placed for both the relaxing and main pool) was basic but all of the things you really want from the room were there - comfortable and large double bed, air-con, nice powerful shower and all cleaned to high standard. We would definitely return to this great hotel and rate it very highly.

I can't agree at all with one of the recent reviews of the hotel where they describe people acting like scavengers and all-inclusives being the target for this. None of things rings true with me and gives a very false impression of the hotel and it's environment.

Room Tip: Block 400 had easy access to the relaxing pool as well as the main pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple