“Helpful staff and friendly guests made this a great Holiday”

Grand Hotel Holiday Resort
Ranked #20 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My Husband, 4 year old son and I stayed at the Grand Hotel at the end of June / beginning of July on an All Inclusive basis and had a fantastic time.
We were greeted by the receptionist and told that we had been upgraded, thus spending 2 weeks staying in room 104 which was large with modern facilities. What the room lacked in privacy, it made up for in location as we were close to the amenities, most importantly being the pool bar !!
The hotel is set on a hillside with great views of the resort. We shared our time between the Fun Pool and the Main Pool which were both non stop fun and getting busy as we entered into peak season.
We really enjoyed the food in the buffet restaurant which was high standard and a good choice. Also tried the Aegean and Pizza restaurant which made a pleasant change. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they just couldn't do enough for you. My son took a particular shine to George the restaurant supervisor who must have had a sore hand after 2 weeks of " High Fives ". Whilst the majority of guests were Eastern European I found no favouritism towards them from the staff and every nationality was respectful of each other
The animation team worked hard and I enjoyed the daytime activities but the evening shows were quite corny. It would have been nice to see more variety and maybe some acts from outside of the hotel.
I was disappointed that most of the children in the Kids Club were Polish as were 2 members of staff which made communication difficult for my son. We still took him there each day but sat with him whilst he painted.
Being a keep fit fan, the Gym facilities were limited and could have done with some mats and free weights. No big deal though as made a good reason for me not to exercise and get a cocktail instead.
We were only 10 minutes walk from Stalis which is a pleasant resort, nice beach with plenty of bars and restaurants. If you fancy a change from the hotel, try Marias for a typical greek meal.
We also hired a car venturing to Spinalonga, Knossos and several resorts.
A wonderful holiday made so special by the staff and all of the friends that we made.

Room Tip: If you don't fancy the walk up and down the hill then request a room under 1000
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Such a lovely hotel! Food was fab, best all-in food we've had years. There was a great choice of Greek food and some English dishes. Normally we would go out 2-3 times a week when staying all-in fpr a change but staying in this hotel we didn't feel the need to. The Greek restaurant on site was also very tasty. Nice touches included bottled water and half wine bottles with lunch and dinner.

Staff were very friendly and if you learn a few Greek phrases this will help.

Hotel grounds and rooms were well maintained and yes hotel is built on a hill but it's not as bad as some reviews make out.

Location is okay, within walking distance to Stallis which we ventured to a couple of times for drinks. You can easily get a taxi to Hersonissos which had better nightlife. Beach was 10-15 minute walk.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank sallyann254
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited the Grand Hotel during the last two weeks of June 2012, half board. We had a fantastic stay, felt this hotel catered for all ages and holiday types (couples, families and groups) and would certainly recommend this resort. The staff we very welcoming, friendly and helpful, always going the extra mile to meet our needs. We particularly found the restaurant staff very friendly, despite working long hours and serving many people! There was a brilliant choice of food in the main restaurant and was very well managed, with food being replaced as soon as it had run out, throughout the whole service.

The room was fantastic, very clean and well equipped. The air con was particularly good and was included in the cost of the room. There is a safe in the room and could be used for an additional cost of 3 euros per day. The room was cleaned every day to a very high standard.

The Animation Team did a fantastic job at keeping everyone entertained throughout daytimes and evenings, with sports activities during the day and shows at night. The team encouraged us to take part in sports during the days but we did not feel pressured to do so, which we liked.

The resort is based outside of Hersonisos. This was not a problem for us as there was a bus stop outside of the hotel and a regular bus service. We also know that there were many places to hire a car and quad bikes from.

All in all, a fantastic stay and would love to return!

Room Tip: Request for a sea view, ours was lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NicJSheffield
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The hotel/complex as many have already said built on a steep hill; the hotel provide a car to get to the highest points, but this does reduce accessibility. The communal parts of the hotel are very clean, well maintained and reflect a highly presentable environment. The pools are salt water, but very clean and well maintained. There are three pools, the main and largest, where there is regular daytime entertainment. A relax pool which is generally as described, it's adult only, despite this my first minor complaint would be very limited monitoring of this on most days at some point children used the pool on several occasions guests asked them to leave on others staff asked them, they were not all a problem. There is also a children's pool right at the top of the resort, which had a slide and appeared lively. Our room was a standard room, friends stayed in a superior room......they essentially paid for a view, which was nice but in my view not worth the extra money. The rooms were very clean, towels and bleeding were changed as needed, they provided in my view just about 4 star accommodation, they were more than basic well maintained, clean and spacious and had a balcony anpd air conditioning. There was more than enough wardrobe space with hangers, bathroom was clean and adequate, complimentary toiletries provided and haridryer, but it was not adequate for regular use. I would hAve liked to have been provided with a kettle in the room.

We stayed on an all include basis which operates from 10.00am - 10.30pm. There is a bar at the children's pool with snack bar and one at the main pool. There is a snack Barr at the main pool, but it does not offer all inclusive service. The all inclusive menus is restricted, and provides a range of local drinks. I felt that I should have been able to get small bottles of water from the bars as an all inclusive guest, but was only able to get glasses of water. The main pool bar did sell 1.5 litres of water for €0.40 which is very reasonable. We were able to get small bottles of water at lunch and dinner. The food was provided on a buffet basis, but was of a very good standard, with a wide variety, I had few complaints about the food. We were also able to dine al la carte in The Agean restaurant once a week (which is the same for half board guests) this was a very pleasant addition to our stay, we could also have dined in the pizza restaurant, we decided not to so I cannot comment on it.

The staff were exceptional, many spoke several languages, all in my experience were polite chatty and accommodating. I have no complaints at all about the staff, they really were a credit to the hotel.

Overall we had a great two week holiday, I would definitely go back again. Service was very good, I think it is accurately graded a 4 star hotel. It's strengths are its clean, well maintained, food is good, children and adults well provided for and staff fantastic. Weaknesses I would have liked a kettle in the room, I would have liked to have had bottles of water included In all inclusive from the pool bars and feel that relax pool should have been better monitored. All in all quite minor complaints in my view and nothing which should impact negatively upon your holiday.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Pool Bar - Vera. Waiter- Giorgio. Waitresses - Eleni, Maria... excellent first-rate staff, happy, smiling with astonishing memories...they help make the hotel good.
Relax Pool - staff struggle to keep under 16yrs away ( especially Russian speaking families).
Main Poolc - noisy but if you're into "Animation" activities then fine.
Childrens Pool - no idea!
Food is reasonable with good variety.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gee M

My family and I (5 in all) stayed
end of June -beg of July 2012 all inc and I would certainly reccommend this hotel/resort to anyone as we had such a wonderful time! We have never been to a hotel with such friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is situated on a hillside so anyone with disabilities would be better with a room at the bottom of the complex. The Animation Team were great and tried so hard to involve everyone with the activities,my husband and sons took part in the mini waterpolo and volleyball each day. The shows in the evening were maybe a tad amateurish but they worked so hard and gave their best. The food was delightful with varied dishes being served each day and there was never any pushing and shoving to get what you wanted. If you are maybe considering a holiday to this resort please don't be put off by any negative comments made (very few!) I'm very particular about where we stay especially because we have children but I really cannot find anything negative to say. We met so many lovely people whom we became friends with (no brits though!) Germans,Belgians,Dutch. I would reccommend you hire a car and head up into the mountains to experience the full beauty of the island. All inclusive did finish early,but we normally got a drink just before time .For us, a combination between the hotel, the amination staff, and the lovely people we met made it a cracking time!!! HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank maria r
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Hotel for three nights on our honeymoon of the Greek Islands. Of all the hotels we stayed at on our trip, the Grand Hotel was the best. We only used the main pool and the adult pool, but both were excellent. They are salt water pools, but kept immaculately clean and the perfect temperature.
The hotel itself as well as the rooms are also kept immaculately clean. Our room was quite large although it did have some quirks. The only entrance to the room was through the patio and while it had 2 TVs, you couldn't use the remote without affecting both sets.
We were on the semi-inclusive package which only included breakfast and dinner. The food was good and the service staff was friendly and helpful.
The hotel is a bit of a distance from the main town, so taking a bus or renting a car is recommended. You can rent cars from a desk in the lobby, and while the rates were slightly higher than in town, they were still reasonable (50€ for one day).
All of our complaints were minor: They charge a fee for pool towels and to use the room safe, we thought these should be included. We also thought the front desk staff could be friendlier and more helpful. We found the main woman who worked the desk to be quite rude, but all the other staff was friendly and helpful.
The Grand Hotel offers WiFi Internet which starts at 5€ for 90 minutes, however many of the bars in town have free WiFi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JordanL71
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Creta Maris Beach Resort
Aldemar Knossos Royal
Aldemar Knossos Royal
#15 of 172 in Hersonissos
SENTIDO Vasia Resort & Spa

Been to Grand Hotel Holiday Resort? Share your experiences!