“Great budget holiday.”
Review of Sunshine Village

Sunshine Village
Ranked #56 of 173 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I thought this hotel was perfectly adequate for what you pay for. Staff were friendly, especially Zsolt, the animation team leader. He always tries to get you involved. Be prepared for wishy washy! Rooms were fine, you could open the doors at night as there are shutters. Not much facilities but as we were all inclusive we didn't need anything. Cleaned daily. Food was fine, not fantastic, but we never went hungry and there was always plenty of choice. All inclusive finished at 10pm but they never minded if you stocked up! Bit quiet in the evenings but we weren't there for a party holiday so that suited us. Could not complain for the price we paid. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank siandanni

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I just recently returned from being in sunshine village for 2 weeks and I loved it all the staff was fantastic and friendly always had a very good laugh ,the food I thought was lovely some nights didn't have a great deal of selection but was still lovely food, my room overlooked the sea and had a lovely view was cleaned and beds made every day by house keeping and fresh towels if needed, the drinks at the bar you have got a good selection of spirits i under all inclusive (whiskey costs extra) and the peach schnapps is alcohol free for some reason lol over all I found it fantastic except for the beds they where really hard and sqweek like mad! So I stayed on the sofa in the front room still has a mattress but allot better but I still enjoyed my holiday and can't wait to go there next year=]

Room Tip: Choose room 318 if you can was overall the best room in the whole place has 2 balconies both with se...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Casper-stuart
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were at The Sunshine Village for the last week of September. We found it to be a pleasant hotel whose best features are its staff who were always polite and willing to assist where necessary. It is well documented on here that it is situated up a steep hill, true, and that would make it unsuitable for the infirm. Everybody else should have no problems with it really. My wife and I are in our 50's and it took us about 9 minutes from the bottom to the hotel, hardly a trek up Everest!

The pool is lovely, albeit chilly but the weather was scorching and the cool down was most welcome. The sun loungers were plentiful but were really uncomfortable and could have done with some cushions.

What really lets the hotel down is the quality of the food. I know this is all subjective and one mans fillet beef is another mans shoe leather, but it was really, really bad and there is no excuse for it.

The offererings were mostly dried up, unimaginative, obviously mass produced frozen food, badly cooked or just inedible.

I understand that hotels like this have to cater for simpler tastes, including English guests who may not want to explore the delights of greek cooking, but chicken nuggets and chips? brussel sprouts? spaghetti with leftover sausages from breakfast mixed in (no tasty sauce mind you, just as the label said 'spaghetti and sausages) I was taken aback when I saw two days after the brussel sprouts appeared, they reappeared cold in water on the salad bar!
The worst incident was when a guests pointed out to a member of staff that the tomatoes were covered in midges, a member from the kitchen was summonsed who proceeded to turn the tomatoes over to hide the offending bugs. They didn't even have the common sense to go into the kitchen to do it. Consequently, we ate out 5 days out of 7, not the ideal plan when you have booked all inclusive.

The tour operator (Thomson) needs to reevaluate the choice to have this place in its itinerary, which is a shame, but food plays a major part of a holiday, especially all inclusive and this hotels offerings are really poor and should not be tolerated.

If you are booked in here, consider another place with B&B as an option and feeding yourself from the lovely restaurants in the village/town. Unless you are one of the billy goats that lives in the hills, the food will not be to your liking.

I am not an angry, all complaining customer, I am a chef who runs a small catering company who understands about providing food to many people on a budget, but there was no excuse for this.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark G
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We have just had a week here on a first choice all inclusive holiday. The main part of the hotel is nice and clean, the food was OK and even being a fussy eater I found enough to eat. Don't expect to get a full English breakfast thou!.
The rooms are actually apartments that are quite large but sparsely furnished. We had two problems, our bed broke twice!. Once a slat snapped and the next night the whole thing collapsed and we ended up sleeping on the floor! And there was a issue of ants in the rooms which the maid did try to deal with.
The hotel is located up on quite a hill, easy to walk into the resort, not so much fun coming back up, there is a minibus that runs at certain times!
Lastly the all inclusive is a bit weird, can only get beer in tiny little glasses, can mean lots of trips to the bar!, and the all incl finishes at 10pm! Not much available to eat between mealtimes if your peckish
All in all its a OK place to stay, we had a car all week so just used it as a base and went off exploring everyday. For the price we paid I would say it was just about satisfactory. Would not want to pay more than £400 each thou.
We would go back to Crete but not to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Richard1403
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hotel & resort nice. Bit of a walk up the hill to the hotel but free shuttle bus runs 3 times a day.
Food good & pool nice. Room and terrace spacious and clean.Bit quiet in the evening but you can walk or taxi to the old villages or main resort for a change. Beach was small but water very clear and nice to swim.Nothing bad to say.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just returned after a weeks stay September 2013. I really enjoyed the hotel. The rooms were very clean, basic, but really clean.. The swimming pool was great fun, our son loved it as did we. Its clean and cool and we met some really nice people who were also on holiday. The food, well, its not to everyone' s taste and there were many complaints but we found it okay and there was a variety but you have to be quick or its gone. Plenty of drink and snacks during the day and the animation team keep the guests involved in games. The cleaning staff and the restaurant/bar staff were really nice but the young girls on reception during the day will have to learn a bit about customer service, they were very unhelpful and didn't care if you had a problem. They let the hotel down big time.
It is a very steep hill outside the hotel but its ok if your willing to spend money on taxis up and down, around 5/6 euros each way.No use for disabled .
The view and the weather was brilliant.
We enjoyed the holiday but the last day spoiled it for us...We had a check out time of 12noon and were not getting picked up until 9pm that night. We asked to keep on our room for a late check out and were told no we couldn't as the room was let, okay we thought, well can we pay for another room until about 7pm, nope we couldn't do that either. I understand the hotel was busy but when we asked where we could leave our cases for the day we were directed to a room outside which was unlocked and anyone could go into which they did. We asked if there was a locked place and we were told no. How can I say at the airport that I have not left my cases unattended when clearly I have in an unlocked luggage room outside the hotel which has been broken into......So for 9 hours we had to sit in reception watching our cases as there was no where to put them. We couldn't take the cases with us if we wanted to go out.....This is a big breach of security on the hotels part and as they said if our cases were broken into then they wouldn't be responsible. Believe me we were not the only guests leaving that day to be angry about this......This ruined my holiday for me. Least to say at the time of our leaving our rooms were still empty.
Apart from this with a few small changes this hotel could be great and maybe if the luggage room thing would be sorted out I would go again...The thing that really got me is we took our pensioner parents with us for a break. they are in their 70/s and my dad was recovering from an illness, I felt so sorry for them on the last day sitting for 9 hours in a hot reception area. They wouldn't return to this hotel and neither would my sister and other holiday makers that checked out the same time, but to be honest, I would maybe give it another go but at the moment its more a 2 star hotel which we paid a lot of money for....So good points and bad but Crete and the people who live there are lovely and give you no hassle. word of warning many people had to go to the doctor and were ill because of mosquito bites, its a big problem and many sprays do not work...It cost one woman who had large infected bites 118 euros not including taxi fares to get antibiotics to treat her....This is not the hotels fault but you should be aware it is a huge problem.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Cameron R
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Spent a week in this hotel (first week of September 2013). My feelings about the hotel are kind of mixed up so I will try to point out it's good and also not so good sides.

The hotel is located on a hill, which we knew and didn't have any problem with it, but keep that in mind if you have mobility issues. In that case, even if you do not wish to leave resort at all, this hotel is probably not a good choice, because it's made of several buildings on a hill and you will have to walk up and down a slope and stairs a lot. Good side of it's location is it's view.
The hotel has it's own pool, which is medium sized and deep from 0.9m to almost 3m, The pool and it's surroundings could be cleaned a bit better.

Public beach is located at the bottom of the hill and offers not only beach but also swimming pool, children's pool, bungee jumping, paintball and several snack bars and cafes (you have to pay for some of these activities, but the entrance to the beach is free of charge). Hotel offers shuttle free of charge 3x/day to and from the beach.

Rooms are large, our room was actually made of a 'living room' with a small kitchen (which we didn't use) and a bedroom plus bathroom. We also had a small terrace with a table and a few chairs and a sea view. I have to say room (especially bathroom) could be cleaned a bit better. Had my own towels with me, so I don't really know how often do they change towels, but there is room to make hygiene a bit better.

Food was more than decent. All inclusive included main meals, snacks (didn't like the snacks that much, but enjoyed pop corns every day) and local soft drinks and alcohol drinks. Main meals were more or less tasty, I never stayed hungry. There was always ice-cream also.
I would be happier if the staff took a better look on the dishes before they put them out, because, even though dish-washer can not wash all the dishes perfectly, staff should notice the dishes that are not clean and put them away rather than put them out leave it to guests to do the triage.

Staff is pretty nice, they are not pushy and I was under the impression that they are really trying to do a good job. But I think hotel services could be strongly improved if they only took a bit better care of the details.

WiFi is free of charge in the lobby. Safe costs 12 EUR per week. Air condition is also an option if you pay additionally, but we really didn't need it during our stay.

I noticed a few ants in our room, but we didn't keep any food there so didn't actually have a big ant problem.

Beds could be more comfortable, but it's a matter of taste.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LovelySquirrel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Creta Blue Suites
#26 of 32 in Amoudara
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
#1 of 13 in Koutouloufari

Been to Sunshine Village? Share your experiences!