“Terrific”

Ranked #103 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Terrific”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I must admit that after reading some of the comments posted by others on this page, we did not expect much. We were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is in a good location, the food was good, with plenty of variety in the menus each day. We don't understand why some people moaned so much about this place (I guess they want five star luxury for a two star price. It was excellent value for money, and we look forward to returning there sometime in the future.
Chris & Jean Adams.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrisadams963

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Getting to & from the Hotel
On the way to the hotel we caught a taxi to travel the twenty miles or so. Prices are displayed on a board outside the airport to the relevant resort. It cost 40 Euros per car which really, is not good value for money at all. On the trip back to the airport we caught a local bus which cost about 2 Euros each...much better!

Location
The Evelyn Beach Hotel is, as the name says, next to the ‘beach’ in Hersonissos on Crete’s northern coast. Crete is a lovely island with lots of culture, history and fantastic sights. Unfortunately, you will not see any of this in Hersonissos or close neighbour Malia. What you will see is akin to taking a trip around your local housing estate. Large groups of young men drinking and yawping and generally doing their best to kill themselves and each other on mopeds and quad bikes. To be fair, the hotel is set back some way from the main road and as long as you don’t leave the hotel, you won’t see any of this. You will on occasion hear groups waking past the hotel at night. I simply could not recommend this resort to families.

Accommodation
We arrived late at night on a very warm evening. The reception and check in was pretty swift. We were a group of eight split into two rooms, four in each room. The rooms are simply not big enough to accommodate four people but we stuck it out having been told we would have to pay for any extra rooms. The lack of a bottle of water in the fridge when you arrive at night tells you something about the hotel. Rooms are basic but reasonably clean (sort of). There is a fridge, TV, a tiny balcony (in our case) and a bathroom. There was a shower but the fixing for the shower head was broken so it could not be hung on the wall. Little things like this can get annoying very quickly. Our fridge had plenty of mould around the seal, see the pictures. The mattresses were also stained from previous occupants who presumably had involuntarily deposited their bodily fluids on them. Don’t take my word for it, look at the photographs. There is supposedly air conditioning; sometimes it blew cold air, sometimes it didn’t. It smelled bad when you first turned it on and was noisy, so no good for night time. I suspect it was turned off a lot of the time to save money. There are five or six floors to the hotel and all the floors are tiled. There are long corridors to the rooms and heavy wooden doors. You will be kept awake all night by people tramping along the corridors and slamming doors. Earplugs and several large doses of Jack Daniels did the trick for me. Sea view rooms are available. These are located directly above the bar and restaurant. The bar (with music) can be busy until 1am, so good luck if you are accommodated in a sea view room. Thankfully, we weren’t. Cleaners are busy clattering around the corridors way before 9am so if you are after peace and quiet and a lay in, this is not the hotel for you.

Facilities
We were all inclusive and drinks were available from the bar which doubles as the outside part of the restaurant. George the bar man was a bit off with us on the first night but after that, he was very chatty and friendly. You can have lager, ouzo, wine and brandy with all inclusive between 11am and 11pm. If you want a drink after 11pm or anything other than this you have to pay for it but prices are quite reasonable. There is no entertainment other than a pool table, Internet access and some board games. Pool is 2 Euros a game and Internet access is 1 euro for 15 minutes. If you have kids, this can get expensive every night. The ‘beach’ is just at the front of the hotel. The word that springs to mind is ‘grotty’. It is covered in cigarette ends, the sun beds are crap (3 Euro), even the sand is a dirty brown colour. One to avoid I’m afraid. The hotel has no pool but the one at the hotel next door can be used for 3 Euros per person a day. It really is nothing to write home about, it is quite small and getting a sun bed can be tricky. We learnt very quickly to go elsewhere. There are much better places in town where you can go and use the pool for free as long as you buy the odd drink or two. We used the Aeolos Beach Hotel in Malia. The food is great and there is a superb pool with slides for kids, they loved it.

On the first morning when I saw breakfast I could have cried. However, as the days progressed, either the food got better or I got used to it. I am a fussy eater and there was always something that I could eat. You will not get hot food, it is always luke warm. That’s how I like it so I have no complaints there. Overall the food was ok, usually there were a couple of choices and fresh salads are available. The tzatziki is superb, there is huge bowl of it every day! Juice is available at meal times but don’t think for one minute that it is anything other than diluted squash. Breakfast is fun when you want toast. There are two toasters, each does two slices at a time. With dozens of people at breakfast, make sure you get there early if you want toast, or go without like I did. Meal times start on time but food is often still available half an hour after ‘closing’ time which can be handy. I cannot mention the restaurant (or the bar) without mentioning smoking. You will not be able to eat or drink without some low life smoking right next to you and your children. Whether you are eating or not, you will be choking on other people’s smoke. I don’t care if it is another country, blowing smoke in my face and that of my children is not acceptable, especially when I’m eating. It was all I could do not to grab the nearest person’s cigarette and ram it down their throat. You have been warned.

Clientele
I saw a mixture of British, German and Dutch and to a lesser extent, French, Italian, Scandinavian and Russians. There might even be some Belgians in there somewhere. This is very much a budget hotel and you have to expect the type of clientele that lower prices are going to attract. Unfortunately, the British let the side down as per usual. Children left unsupervised roaming the hotel until the early hours, I saw a lad of about twelve wandering around on his own with a glass of beer at two in the morning. Kids lying on the furniture in reception, how the pool table lasted the week I will never know. Cues and balls thrown around, did I mention the foul language? If you have tattoos, a shaven head, wear a football shirt every day and have an obedient wife and two obese children you will be in good company. I saw young British children helping themselves to platefuls of cakes and ice cream which just went uneaten without so much as a word from the parents. To be fair, it wasn’t just the Brits. One day in the pool two young Dutch boys were being far too aggressive and boisterous and upsetting the other children. Both parents were looking on and did not say a word to them. Ok, not everyone was like this but you must expect this type of clientele at this price point.

Summary
Overall, it was ok, nothing special but just about bearable. Would I go again? Sorry but no. For the price there are much better deals around. Hersonissos is not a family oriented resort and the hotel just didn’t cut it for me.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Hersonissos hotels

Islington, North London
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The hotel was spotlessly clean, the rooms likewise, sheets and towels changed every day mostly. Food - dare I say this!! utterly utterly poor!!! not enough selection, was either stews or fish every day - plenty of salads etc, but looked like they had been made up from the previous day's leftovers!! Many times we skipped dinner and went out to eat. The Bar - well, supposed to be open until 1.00pm - never - by 11.30pm one particular bar staff was rushing to get the shutters down. No local vodka, but local brandy, raki, and ouzo, otherwise you have to pay for it!! We were told to finish our drinks before ordering another one. The hotel was situated in a lovely place, and the High street just up the road. We loved the area, but would never return to Evelyn Beach Hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wetherby
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I booked this holiday on a last minute whim then checked the reviews!!!!!! Like many other people out there, I was a little bit unsure after reading some of the scary reports out there. The truth is as follows.......

Location - Close enough to town so you can go and walk around it and look for bargains but hidden away off the beaten track so no groups of youths wake you up walking back from the nightclubs!!!! On the doorstep to the beach and the pool is based at the hotel next door. Yes, it sounds like a strange set up having no pool, but you can pay 3Euros to go to the pool next door or the same for a lounger on the beach, YES, its a gripe as you are booking an ALL INCLUSIVE, if you can sunbathe on a towel (or buy an airbed for about 5Euros) and use that on the beach, you can avoid said charges!!!! Another option is to walk approx 10mins up the road and use "Star Beach". We found this little heaven 2 days before our holiday finished. Check out its website at www.starbeach.gr. I have put some more info on this at the end.

Rooms - Basic (but you are in Crete)!!!! We had a double bed and 2 single beds in the same room with a fully functioning bathroom with a bath and shower. Fridge/Freezer and "Air/Con". We never used the aircon as we were fortunate to be blessed with room 125!!!! This room is on the ground floor facing the sea (you look straight down the drive to the sea), but due to the shape of the building, the direct sunlight was kept out so the temperature of the room was never too hot! Rooms were cleaned every day and towels that were left in the bath, were changed daily.

Staff - Most of the staff are very friendly. I had a bit of an issue with 2 of them. 1, the barman finally warmed to me after about 3 nights, the other (a waitress who my kids aged 6 and 4 nicknamed Mrs Trunchbowl - you need to see Matilda to understand) never did. She even snapped at me on my last morning breakfast. I think it was way of saying goodbye!!!!

Food - Not a great choice of food at Lunch and Evening Time. Plenty of different salads but limited choice of hot food. Don't get me wrong, all food groups are catered for and the food is tasty. Bear in mind that the fish isn't the same as you get at your local chippy and that the lamb and pork is cooked slightly differently to how "mother used to make" but if you want the sunshine and english food........go to benidorm!!!!!

"ALL INCLUSIVE" - Food and drink UNTILL 11PM is FREE but only on certain lines. Don't go thinking you can get drunk on Vodka or Bacardi!!!!! You have a choice of local brandy, Ouzo or Raki in the spirits dept, soft drinks, lager or wine. The bar stays open longer than 11pm but you will need to pay for drinks after that time. Sunbeds/Pool already talked about. Snacks ARE NOT available outside of the meal times. It's a bit of a change from the times I have been to Cancun on All Inclusives but to be fair, having the family on the beach every day, we didn't really miss the snacks etc.

STAR BEACH - This place is great!!!!!!! It has everything. Stuff to stimulate babies and toddlers and stuff to occupy the large group of young adults looking for a good time!!!!!! Trust me, it has to be seen to be believed! As you walk down to the main gates you will see a "SlingShot" (a catapult that throws th ocupunts of a metal ball about 100 feet into the air), an 18 hole crazy golf course and Go-Karting (which is bloody quick)!!! The place is FREE to enter. You will get charged 7Euros (pay just once - ride all day) to ride the bigger slides for the older kids/younger adults. There is also a Lazy River - Free to use. There is also a bungee jump and all water sports for the older people. Spa and massage, Scuba Diving etc. is also available. These need to be paid for. Round the corner, there is the kids area. This has a playground and also a pool with slides and a mini lazy river. The pool is aimed at 3year olds plus but a little bit further down ther is a smaller pool with smaller slides which will suit any age of baby/child. Down from these pools is a beach with "Proper Sand". One that will allow you to build a sandcastle!!!! All this is free!!!!! What ISN'T free is the Sunbeds (4Euros Each). However - we got there at 9:30am, went back to the hotel for all inclusive lunch (the park doesn't allow food or drink being brought in due to "tax reasons") and then went back an hour later with pringles and water snuck in!!!! We weren't approached to pay for the bed until 4:30pm!!!! The payment covers ALL the beds so you can go down to the beach after paying at the pool. Another option is to keep your eye out for the bloke collecting, disappear to the toilet/pool/sea/bar etc and wait for him to go and you can avoid the payment untill later in the day and then when he asks for it at 5pm, pack up and leave!!!!!!!

All in all, this is a very good hotel, with a great location. Is it 4 star? possibly in the eyes of a crete hotel but not when you compare it to 4 star Mexico standard. If you have booked this hotel before reading any reviews (like I did) don't worry. You will have a nice time. Enjoy!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Marv1n-the-Mart1an
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2009

A nice hotel in an otherwise very touristy area of Hersonissos. We found the hotel staff to be very helpful and friendly. Our hotel package included breakfast, which was excellent. We stayed in several other hotels during our stay in Greece, and this hotel served the best selection and variety for breakfast. The pool next door could be used for a fee, but the beach was so close, why go to the pool? Our room had a great view of the beach and water. No air conditioning though, which would have been nice in July!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Belfast
Reviewed October 13, 2008

My boyfriend & I thoroughly enjoyed our recent 2 week holiday at Evelyn Beach. The location and friendliness of the hotel staff was second to none. The hotel, restaurant area and bedrooms were spotless. Okay so it didn't have it's own pool but it may aswell have as it was all of about a 50m walk from the hotel entrance & we were not charged once to use it. We ate in the hotel most nights and although the food was basic it was more than edible and once you found what you liked it was actually very pleasant. I really felt that I should write a positive review about this hotel as I feel that previous guest reviews are very unfair. Many 4* star rated hotels in Greece are much more basic than what we would call 4* in the UK or Ireland. Therefore, if it's luxury you want in Greece then be prepared to pay for it. If it's a pool you want at your accomodation specify that when booking and lastly if it's English food you want, don't bother going on holidays, just stay home and you won't be disappointed.......
All in all, fantastic, relaxing holiday. I would definitely go back. Special thanks to George the barman!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing - cannot find fault
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Dougstain
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed October 10, 2008

Dear travellers, I went to the Evelyn Beach Hotel in Herssonissis, Crete October 2008, we had a lovely time, the hotel was very clean, the staff were friendly and the food was good, I was there with my 20 year old son, the hotel was close to all amenities, with plenty for both of us to do, the hotel did not have a swimming pool, but this did not make much difference as the crystal clear sea was a stones throw away accros a little road and you could use the pool next door if you wanted to for a small charge of 2 euros. My son Dean was entertained by the bar staff (George and co) and at night he went to the pubs and clubs down by the harbour and met people his own age, and had the time of his life, I had no need to worry that he'd get bored holidaying with his mum.

Star Beach is only up the road, what a treat this is for all ages including the young at heart, with water sports, water slides, swimming and paddling pools, foam parties and very good music with live DJs at times, (this was brill).

I would go back in an instance, I would advise anybody to use this hotel, it is not an English 4 star, but a very clean 3 star, with good service. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — no pool
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Semiramis Village
#76 of 171 in Hersonissos
Hotel Oceanis
Hotel Oceanis
#7 of 7 in Anissaras

Been to Evelyn Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!