“perfect location,excellent service very good value for money!”
Review of Golden Beach Hotel

Golden Beach Hotel
Ranked #64 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spend 10 days in september and we love it.
Since we arrive we find the staff very friendly and helpful.Marios in the night helps us with luggage and the room .
The day after we had a meeting with the Hotel Manager coz our room had some problem with a/c.He was very calm and easy find a solution for us .Thanks for that!
The mimimal Lobby is amazing and the bar very organize with a wonderful lounge music (i asked to recorded some music for me and they did it).Bar staff Spidora and the guy work in the night(unfortunatly don't remember his name)very polite,friendly and efficient!Overall all staff is very professional ,fast and seem they really know what they doing!!
The buffet is various with some fresh salad ,pasta,nice dessert but the best thing is the greek yougurt with honey for breakfast !don't miss it!!!
Location very good :next to shops ,restaurants,and alekos beach -NICE SANDY BEACH-just walk distance!
So far if you have all inclusive you realize is very good value for money!
Can't wait to come back next year!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
fotinitripaki, General Manager at Golden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guests,
We would like to thank you for your nice comments and hope that you fully enjoyed your stay at Golden Beach.
We will be glad to welcome you again next year !

Reviewed September 26, 2012

all I can say about this hotel is , you have seen the interior pictures , dont be swayed by the negative , BOOK IT NOW!! we have just returned from there and everybody you will meet there from the lovely Mary on reception, Spidora on the bar, and the restaurant staff and maids ,who worked tirelessly to make our stay so,so enjoyable, the food and amenities offered to us were delicious and delightful ,and if its not to your taste there are so many beautiful restaurants all around youthat can offer more one to one service if that is what you enjoy. on my part, i would like to offer my thanks to the manager, your staff sir are a credit to you!

1  Thank EricOz1
fotinitripaki, General Manager at Golden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed at Golden Beach for five days with breakfast.The staff is very good,our room located at the highest floor was very well maintained and nice decorated with nice view to the beach.The location is excellent few minutes walking from the center of the city.The breakfast was delicious.I will recommend Golden Beach to friends who wish to visit Hersonisos.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
1  Thank Alex_15_12
fotinitripaki, General Manager at Golden Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Only just returned from an 11 night all inclusive double inland view stay at Golden Beach Hotel as a young couple which was very good in a lively location.

It is located on the main road, however it is about a twenty minute walk away from the main stretch of clubs (beach road), whilst there is also many small bars and taverns located on the way. Ideal if you want to be going out. However, if you want to relax the hotel is rather relaxed and pleasant. For example there was a rowdy group initially but the manager asked them to be quieter and no problems there on! Only negative on the location is we found the beach was small, crowded and choppy. Therefore, the only time we experienced proper Medeteranian beaches were on excursion trips. (highly recommend the excursion to paradise island – Chrissi Island). Also prepare for some extreme haggling at all the nearby bars, restaurants and shops.

Comfort around the whole hotel is good, with a brilliant kings size double bed and a minimalistic design throughout the whole hotel. Just be careful on the sunbeds as they may appear attractive however some are very worn and very uncomfortable, I even had a large painful mark across my back for 4 days after a day on one of them sunbeds!

Eating at the hotel was the main downside to our stay, we couldn't understand how reviews could say the food was excellent and varied. We also spoke to many couples there who completely agreed with us. The problem is that there is only ever 6 hot dishes due to space. One is pasta, two veg, one some kind of pastry (not nice) and then two Greek dishes which were okay. Furthermore the dishes didn't vary much and it was very rare to have a fish dish. After a few days of eating the same food we had to eat out. There are many local taverns in walking distance that are very cheap! Try Mythos which is rated good on here or go into the village Piskapiano up in the hills for the best food! The family run taverns are amazing!

All staff are very friendly and helpful throughout the hotel, not too much of an atmosphere in the restaurant though but if you asked the waitress for anything she was more than happy to help. The barman also gave me a surprise birthday cake, which was very tasty and a pleasant surprise so credit there.

The facilities are generally good, there's an average priced supermarket next door and a restaurant by the beach partnered with the hotel which does very good food. You get 10% off there for being a golden beach hotel customer, but it is not included in the all inc if anyone was wondering.

Room itself was small bit still very nice and comfortable, the bathroom is good with a rain shower, however that was very small. You also get a large television if you really want to watch TV on holiday and free Wi-Fi. The air con is very good as well, which was vital at times!

The all-inclusive drinks at the bar are fairly basic, ranging from beer and wine to vodka cokes and apple juice. The barman though was very nice, always saying hello as we headed out, the bar is very comfortable with a lot of outside seating.

A very nice and clean hotel with comfortable rooms. If the food was improved would be a much better hotel. I can only assume the positive reviews on food here aren't on the all-inclusive restaurant and are on the very good beach side hotel which you get 10% off at, alongside some already cheap deals. Would recommend this if you want a lively holiday whilst still seeing Crete, but not on an all-inclusive deal as you’ll be forced to eat out.

Room Tip: All rooms are refurbished, can't imagine there would be a great view with a side room.
2  Thank Sam W

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your nice comments.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I travelled with my husband and family to the hotel. We usually use Trip Advisor and try to keep an open mind regarding negative and positive comments made about a hotel or resort, and try to balance these before making a booking. We have not previously been disappointed. We have also visited 4 Star Greek Hotels on several occasions and realise that ratings vary slightly from other destinations. We particularly like the Greek Islands for the food, climate and friendliness of Greek people. On this basis we were optimistic about The Golden Beach. However, our experience was somewhat different to what we expected. We stayed all inclusive for 10 days and I would not recommend this option.

There was a distinct lack of variety with the food. I love to try local dishes, and while there is always going to be some repetition with buffet style dishes there was a complete lack of imagination here. There were a few tasty main dishes but most of the time there was not a balance. It was more common to find a selection of fatty lamb and pork - often together. I'm always happy to eat Greek,cabbage and green salads, but these did not change throughout the holiday. It was common to find carrots, sweetcorn, mixed veg (likely to be frozen) and sprouts rather than Mediterranean vegetables to accompany meals. Sprouts featured as a salad on several occasions!!!! One evening there were grated carrots, carrots as part of a salad and hot carrots to accompany dinner. I could go on. Eventually it got the point after five days where we ate elsewhere. Never had to do that with other all inclusive hotels before.

The rooftop pool has great views of surrounding area, but sadly this is all I can say about it. It was a bland environment with beds that looked nice but were incredibly uncomfortable. The pool is tiny, and could only be used for cooling off. If you wanted to get a drink it would involve a lift or stairs down to the ground floor. We used the pool area for first half a day, but after getting bad backache from bed we ended up on the beach for the remainder of the holiday. Beach area is very small and beds quickly fill up, so don't expect a lie in. You also have to pay to use Beach bar/restaurant, although you get a 10% discount if you show your hotel ID. Again if you wanted drinks etc you had to go and get them. We discovered other beaches which were cheaper and with better facilities (Kahula beach and bar towards the harbour is an example) where the staff are friendly and bring you drinks and snacks to your sunlounger. In addition, you get a bowl so you can wash sand off your feet. These are small things but can make a lot of difference to the experience you have.

Staff were generally aloof and did not communicate that well. If you raised any issues they could be quite defensive/offhand. After several days of showering in cold water (at various times of the day) which is ok when weather hot, but not ideal for washing suncream off properly we got fed up and rang reception. My husband was tersely asked why it was only being mentioned after almost a week. Seemed pointless to mention it again as it did not change. On another occasion we got back late afternoon to find housekeeping had not been in. After asking about this, housekeeping came an hour later. We answered door to find a lady pulling faces and waving arms at us, which was rather bewildering to say the least. We asked for a few minutes to finish getting ready to be told no. Maintenance man then came to the door and said there had been a misunderstanding. We just felt rather irritated and confused by the end of this episode.

Having said this, it could have been worse. It was ok but nowhere near what we had expected.

Positives:
* Male receptionist at point of check in was really helpful - but did not see him again during stay
* Reception and bar areas were accurately represented from photographs
* Main areas of hotel were kept clean
* Rooms were comfortable (if not a little small)
* Bed was also comfortable
* Eva in main restaurant and Spidora at the bar were always pleasant and polite.
* Good cocktails (but all inclusive drinks ended at 10pm)
* Sunlougers at the beach were also comfortable
* Aircon worked
* Lunchtime food generally of a slightly better quality than breakfast and evening meals

I would suggest trying the Kahula beach and bar, which is towards the harbour. There is a lovely coffee shop opposite the hotel, and a patisserie about 150 metres up from this which is also very pleasant. There is a great restaurant near the harbour called Kymata. It serves some sushi and Italian food, which we did not try. However, they also do a variety of local dishes, which are really well cooked. The puddings were also amazing. I had a fantastic chocolate fondant and my husband loved the yogurt and honey icecream. The service was attentive but relaxed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amanda G

Dear Guest,
We would like to apologize for all those reasons for which you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. Our team is working hard in order to satisfy all of our clients.
I would like to thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at Golden Beach Hotel.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Just stayed here for 2 weeks, half board. The hotel is ideally situated for beaches, bars, restaurants etc.

It is on the main road but the noise is minimal. We had a family room facing the road. We asked to be moved and got a superior room on the top floor which was lovely.

The pool on the roof is nice and quiet, i would say it is not suitable for kids. The sun loungers could do with updating as some are a bit worn.

The beach area for the hotel is dark sand/shingle, small and packed with sunbeds. We sunbathed at the Palm Beach club which is a great place. Clean, big pool, friendly staff and music (dance, 80's) playing most of the day. Entrance is free but they charge for sunbeds.

Evening meal is a buffet, the food is of good quality but after a few days it felt a bit like a canteen so we ate out. The restaurants along the beach road are lovely and most have seating right on the seafront. Med and Fresh do good food and the prices are cheaper than we thought.

Nice bars are Downtown, Kaluha (on the beach), Palm Beach Club and New York.

Definately visit the villages of Piskopiano and Koutouloufari - very pretty, good atmosphere and have loads of lovely restaurants. Try Galliani and Fabrica. We walked one night from the hotel and it took us 20 mins, uphill.

Overall a nice hotel and resort.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Fundamentally the hotel is fine; we stayed early September 2012 for 1 week. On saying this I need to point out a few things.
The hotel lobby and reception are just as they appear on the web site, very bright, modern with some lovely art. The rooms though are not, the bathrooms are small as are the balconies – just enough room for 2 people. Unlike other reviewers I do not consider the rooms to be spacious; one odd thing, the lobby is lovely as I say with some really nice art yet there in not one picture on the walls in the room! We were allocated a “Family Room” on arrival even though I had booked a Sea View. On questioning the reception staff I was told I would have to see the manager the next morning (It was going up to midnight when we arrived). I spoke to the receptionist the next morning who was insistent I had not booked a Sea View Room - luckily I had took all my paperwork proving I had in fact booked and paid for a Sea View Room, on showing her this I got a wry smile and told again I would have to see the manager. To cut a long story short we got a Sea View Room but had to wait a day for it!! The manager is a lovely man who is very accommodating and will go out of his way to help you. He did let us keep the room a little later on check out as a form of compensation for the mix up.
Back to the hotel, as I say above we got to stay in 2 different rooms and I consider them both be small, bare with cramped balconies etc. When I questioned the pictures on the web site I was told they do have these types of rooms on the 3rd floor but they are Superior Rooms – never saw any mention of Superior Rooms on the site when I was booking!
The cleanliness is fine as is the general appearance of the hotel. The roof top pool is small but ok for cooling off. They need to invest in some new sun loungers as the ones on the roof are definitely past there sell by date and need replacing. They also need to install additional umbrellas on the roof as there are clearly not enough. There are no drink facilities on the roof which is a real pain, you have to go all the way down to the bar in reception as you do if you need to use the loo, it does get to be a bit wearing after a while. The bit of the beach the hotel has is tiny and gets crowded very quickly, our room looked directly out on to the beach and people where getting there as early as 7.45am.
If you are staying at the Hotel I would recommend a side sea view or a sea view as the front looks out onto the main street and is very noisy. The food is ok, but if you are a vegetarian I think you would struggle, yes there is salads and pasta, but apart from that I think you would struggle. One odd thing – breakfast, there is no toast making facilities in the restaurant which I find odd. They do have bought in bread like Melba Toast which shatters into a 100 pieces when you bite into it, they do need to get some toasters installed. After saying all of the above I would say here again if I was struggling to find a hotel in the town. There are though far nicer 4 star hotels in Chersonisos, in fact I feel this hotel should be categorised as at best a 3 star.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the front of the hotel its very noisy.
2  Thank Travel Lite W

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your comments.