King Minos Palace Hotel
$199
$186
  • Breakfast included
Creta Blue Suites(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
$205
$92
  • Breakfast included
Creta Maris Beach Resort(Hersonissos)
$307
Mediterraneo Hotel(Hersonissos)
$307
$268
  • Breakfast included
Κoutouloufari Village Holiday Club(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
$53
$41
$244
$255
$247
  • Breakfast included
Village Heights Golf Resort(Hersonissos)(Great Value!)
$36
$280
$173
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshead waitersea viewpool barair conformal weargerman guestsmobility problemsstar beachanimation teambreakfast and dinnerdress code for menhalf boardinternational dishesevery eveningbbq nightstaying at this hotelweek stay
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A great hotel in Hersonissos, with friendly staff.

Clean and comfortable stay. We had half board and have to admit the dinner variety was great! Plenty to choose from every evening.

Beds are a little hard and take time getting used to. The AC could be a little better but not too uncomfortable.

You need to hire towels for the pool side for10 euros a towel for the duration of the stay (which is not the best as you can't get a clean towel everyday), however simply return the towels at the end and receive your deposit back.

Star beach is 5 mins walking distance with a nice sandy beach and plenty of water sport activities on site.

The hotel is only 5 mins bus/car ride away from the main town Hersonissos where there are plenty of restaurants and bars.

Overall really enjoyable stay and in a great location.

Room Tip: Ask to get the rooms with a sea view, make all the difference
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HN20111
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Not really a very relevant review, considering it was in summer 2012 that we stayed here.

We went there on Honeymoon and stayed in the Annex part of the hotel, which we really enjoyed. The staff went to great effort laying out rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bedspread.

The food was great and the hotel location excellent. It is a short walk to the beach although there is quite a (not very) steep climb in you want to go the direct route. Otherwise you can walk round the longer way and it isn't quite as steep.

The outstanding thing about the hotel was that they really made an effort to serve some of the local dishes. Snails and Rabbit were on the menu if I remember correctly! There was plenty of choice for everyone though.

The main town of Herakilion is a short walk away - far enough to be away from the hussle and bussle but close enough to walk to in 10 minutes.

Tip: Try the rabbit stew it's very very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rossdonnell
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The King Minos Palace, is located a short down hill walk from the main town centre, local bus services and "tourist train" are approx 200 m from hotel, a quiet sandy beach is reached via meandering footpath and road underpass. On arrival luggage was recovered from coach and taken to room, reception was bright and welcoming, staff were friendly and helpful. Our original room was located above the main bar entertainment area, after the first evening we requested a move which was completed without any drama. Breakfast and dinner menu provided an excellent selection , dinner buffet catered for all tastes with beef, pork, lamb, fish and vegeaterian options, fresh fruit and salads were of a high standard.The large pool and gardens created a relaxing atmosphere. The animation team, a very professional and friendly Serbian couple, added to the experience, with their games and activities, music quiz caused some guests to move which belied their shape.This would have been excellent but air conditioning was weak and beds were a bit hard.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank redbob145
Reviewed July 10, 2013

As I've been to this hotel 11 times, the first in 1995 and the most recent from 16th to the 30th June 2013, I thought it was about time I wrote my own review. You, the reader, will guess I love it there, it is as if I am going home and I always feel very sad when my holiday comes to an end.
I have been a single traveller for the past ten years and have never felt uncomfortable at the KMP, the very opposite in fact. This was my 9th consecutive visit to the King Minos and I have made so many friends there, of many nationalities and when I return each year, it's like a massive reunion. Also, all the staff, from the hotel manager, Michael Kokalakis, his son Alexis, down to the maids, greet you with such enthusiasm and make you feel like one of the family.
Other reviews warn of the steps at the front of the hotel, however, when you arrive, either Nina or Maria, the two lovely girls on reception, immediately appear and tell you to leave your luggage at the bottom, then either Nicos or Nicos appears and lifts your luggage into the hotel for you. Then once you are booked in, they take you and your luggage to your room, again this is a great help to a single female traveller, whose case is always full up, you know what I mean girls!!
The rooms I have stayed in are very comfortable and if you have a problem, for instance with the plumbing, once reported to reception is dealt with very quickly. If you are a repeater and you have a favourite room as I do, email Alexis about a month before your holiday and he will do his best to accomodate you, I have never known any other hotel be as helpful.
The food is fantastic, I always come home heavier than when I went. Yanni, the maitre'd, looks after all the guests as does Stella, Athina, Nelly, Maria and others who are seconded to the restaurant when it's really busy. Other reviewers speak of favouritism being shown to certain people re seating in the restaurant, I have never ever seen any evidence of this and if eating on my own, have been seated at a table set for two or four without a problem. Nowadays, with the friends I have met at the King Minos and meet up with each year, rarely do I eat on my own.
The pool area, along with all other areas in the hotel, is kept immaculately clean and the pool is cleansed each day, again, I've never had a problem securing a sunbed but I am outside early and once there, rarely move any further than to see the lovely George to get a drink or some lunch. The evening entertainment takes place in this same bar and yet again, you are looked after wonderfully by Manolis, Dimitris (this year) and Athina. How they remember what everyone drinks year in year out I don't know, they all must have amazing memories.
What else can I add, this year the animation team were Lucky and Maria, a husband and wife team, who were very friendly and didn't push you to get involved in the games if you were happy doing what you were doing, which in my case was very little most days!! Rosie, the Thomson customer advisor for this year was a very helpful and pleasant young lady who enjoyed a little chat with her guests. There is a decent beach with facilities which can be reached through the hotel grounds and the resort of Hersonissos is about a 15 minute stroll away, with a mixture of decent shops, touristy shops and cafes, etc. Going down to the beach or the resort is fine but walking back up I find difficult, especially when it's hot. On the odd occassion I go into the resort, I get a taxi back to the hotel which costs about 7 euros, well worth it,
I've seen several people moaning about the cost of renting the room safe for the duration of your stay but please do, I would trust anyone at this hotel with my life but it's always best to be careful. You can also hire pool towels from the Maria's in the hotel shop at a cost of 10 euros each for the length of your stay and you get your money back when you return the towels. This means room for another couple of outfits in our suitcase girls, very welcomed!!
Loving this hotel and it's staff and my KMP friends so much I cannot understand why the odd bad review is added but as the saying goes "you can't please all the people all the time" but this hotel certainly pleases and delights me and as long as I am able too, I will continue to visit each year, twice if I have decent bingo win!!!

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, choose a sea view room, they will be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank LazyLinda2013
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I found a beat of free time from my crazy day program i relaax at home thinking and missing the nice times of our holidays , but i ll write a few words for the hotel that made our holidays king minos friendly staff clean and very comfortable rooms especially the sea vews. breakfast amazing diner and what can i say about the snacks 20+
Weather perfect many happy people what about the island crete God was in a grate mood when He create it. .
Thanks for a wonderful time and a special thanks to the reception staff.
Alexis. Nina. Maria.

Room Tip: Let the reception to help you they know what they are doing.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family