“Poor, Hotel Agrabella”

Ranked #119 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Haifa, Israel
“Poor, Hotel Agrabella”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We spend a week (in September 2012) in this so called hotel, who has 3-star, but eventually does not deserve a1-star. It was no liquid soap,shampoo or toilet staff at all in the rooms, with plastic chears and poor design in the rooms. We did not used the air conditioner as we have been all time ouside, but the owner still charged us for the first day for both rooms. A lot of noise in the coridors and in the small loby. Food was good, but very simple and basic, without any imagination. Nobody cleaned our rooms, when we have been there. It does not worth the money, that this hotel charged. It was deffinetly the worth hotel we have been when travelling around in the world with my family. The pictures on their site does not show the proper view of the rooms.

Room Tip: I do not know, because we did not have a good room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rebecalevin
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
I am very sorry your stay at Agrabella was not a nice one. You write in your review you did not have a nice room and that the pictures do not show the proper views of the rooms. I am not sure what pictures you saw, but we have two types of rooms economy and superior. I guessed you booked economy and saw the superior pictures. I am only guessing. On our site www.agrabella.gr the pictures are correct everything is detailed in the site. I am not responsible if you look at someone else's site to book the Hotel. There are 27 3 star Hotels in the Hersonisos area. All charge extra for the air conditioning. You booked the economy rooms last minute did not read up on the Hotel and expected something else I guess. You paid less than 20 euro per person per day for a basic room with breakfast buffet and dinner buffet in the center of Hersonissos and your complaining about plastic chairs on the balconies and no liquid soap for your hair. The Hotel is basic yes. Only bar soap is in the rooms. Pay for a 4 star Hotel and you still get plastic chairs for the balconies but you you get liquid shampoo for your hair. It is a family run, Friendly and personable staff. Towels are changed every other day rooms are cleaned 6 times per week all this is written on our site and on the info paper given at arrival. You say we charged you you air conditioning the first night and you did not use it. We do not force you to use the air conditioning. If you want it turned on we go up and unlock it. You asked us for the a/c so we unlocked it. Then you say you never used it. So why have us unlock it if you don't use it?????? You were given an info paper in your language at arrival. Very useful info if you choose to read it. You did not read it. Hersonissos is a lively area do your homework when you book a Hotel. There are over 250 guests at any given day. Arrivals and departures do happen at the early hours of the morning and also late in the night. Noise can be a problem at times I agree with you on this. We do have a security guard at night to keep the peace. It is hard for him to be everywhere at once. Hopefully your next holiday is a better one.

Anastasios Dedes
Agrabella Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Bucharest
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I and my husband just came back from Crete.We stayed at this hotel. I read some reviews about this hotel and I was very sceptical about it. But, we had a very nice surprise . The staff was very polite and helpful at all times. They really took care of their guests . We chosed half board -breakfast was good and the dinner was in a very nice Greek style with a variety of options. The food was ok and plenty for everyone. About cleanliness, nothing to complain about. Nice swimming pool, very nice environment overall. There are two types of rooms: Basic-economic and Superior. We had Superior room, which was a good value for money because included the air conditioner. The room was also cleaned every day and the sheets and towels changed every few days .The location is perfect, close to the high street and all the ammenities. No problems walking back to hotel as the security was always there to greet us. I recommend Agrabella 100% to everyone!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Elisabeta P
Thank You for the fantastic response. We enjoyed having you. From all of us at Agrabella.
Regards
Anastasios Dedes
Agrabella Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I just came back from Crete, we were a party of 5 people with 3 teenagers who'd been very happy at this hotel. I read some reviews prior our holiday, but I was very sceptical about it. We had a very nice surprise once we arrived to the hotel. The staff were very polite and helpful at all times. We had the pleasure to meet the owners, such a nice family, they really take care of their guests whatever their nationality. The food was great, such a variety of dishes, even vegetarian options. Plenty for everyone!! Greek cousine is wonderful, but of course won't be good for a fussy eater though. About cleanliness, nothing to complaint......nice swimming pool, very nice environment overall. There is a security man every night who greeted you and made sure you went back safe to your room. I felt that was a safe place for my girls.. AS far as accomodation goes, there are two types, Basic-economic and superior. When you do the booking through and agency they only offer you the basic one. We had the chance to upgrade to Superior, which was a good value for money because included the air conditioner. The location is perfect, close to the high street and all the ammenities. You have plenty of beaches near by to choose from, at night just 200mtrs you have all the discos and bars. Very handy!!! Thank you very much to the owner's daughter, who had the courtesy to take my girls to a near beach for a "Foam Party" for young people. :-) For sure, we will be back with friends and family!!!! I recommend Agrabella 100% to everyone!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Juliana-Oviedo
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Hello My Dear. I cannot write your name TripAdvisor rules. Thank you for your great review. I know we had a chance to talk and that was nice. You saw first hand the 2 types of rooms we have. People on a budget and something for more money. I am glad we met, you were a great bunch of ladies. It is so pleasant when people that come on Holiday are open minded and try the Greek way of things. People come from all over the globe and expect things like from were they come from. It is amazing to me that people actually think that way. We are in a beautiful part of the world with our Cretan Hospitality. You saw first hand how full we are. That is due to very competitive prices and my staff. I think we do allot of things very well. We are a 3 star Hotel. I think we are on of the best 3 star Hotels around this area called Hersonissos.
Anastasios
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had been very worried with the reviews about this hotel before going to Crete last week. However, what made me trust the good services and quality was the owner's answer to every customer defending his business. I must say that there is a misunderstanding regards the rooms: there is really two types of accommodation - Basic and Superior. but we booked with Olympics, n' they didn't explained that to us, So we got the Basic room on arrival, which was cleaned, small bathroom , a little balcony. I think it's perfect for young people whom does't care about comfort and will be in and out in their wet cloths from the beach and pool, but still have the access to all facilities to all. In resume; we paid to upgrade to a Superior room and had a great time. We chosen half board and breakfast is good and the dinner very nice Greek style with a variety of options. Before I forget: I travel around the world and learned to appreciate each country's way of eating, culture and living. Many people expect to eat in the Hotel as they do at their home - don't do it and you will be much happier.
Not to mention that this is a family business and they are all hands on the job, including their lovely girls that even invited my friends daughters to hang out at a Happy Hour due for young people with them.The location is perfect: 300 meters to the night Clubs, beach, so 5 of us all went to the New York Club, the British Hart Pub, El Paradiso, Bio BIO and Havana every night.
No problems walking back to Hotel as the security was always there to greet us. Sometimes we had the last drink at our hotel bar which is open till very late!! Surely coming back for more sun!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank MariParker
Hello My dear. I can't write your name either. Rules!!

It was a pleasure. I love talking with people from all over the world. It is one of the perks about this job. You learn many things all the time from people, you really do. You summed up this review pretty good. Thank you it was very nice to meet you ladies.

Anastasios
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The hotel was ok, average, the room a bit small but clean and it was also cleaned every day and the sheets and towels changed every few days. The food was ok and plenty for everyone. The "early breakfast" was a coffee and 2 tiny pieces of cake. The hotel was full and noisy as in high season and the windows were wood so no phonic isolation. I had a street view so scooters and atv's and drunk people were present every night. I got only 2 night of good sleep out of 7 and i am not a light sleeper. There is also a guard that watches for the tourists to keep quiet at night after 23:00 but he is only 1 and the the hotel was full. The staff was very nice and helpful and friendly. The prices at the bar are same as in the restaurants but there is a supermarket really close from which you can buy all you need.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AndruskM
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank You for your response. I have to say this is a pretty accurate review. The sheets are changed twice in a weeks stay the towels are changed every other day. The season has been very busy for us. The Hotel is full constantly, yes good for business, but you will always get some people who drank too much and are loud till they get to the room. We do have a security guard at night he does the best he can, and is very good at what he does. But the Hotel has 130 rooms it is hard to be everywhere at once.
Timis
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Location was so and so. The food was indeed terrible. Just a few options, and "recycled" food (soup made from smashed vegetables remained from previous days, minced meat was actually the steak remained from yesterday). Had to eat fast food after dinner. NEVER order lunch box or early breakfast. (you'll be surprised how less they expect you to eat). Prices for drinks (wine, beer, juice) are the same as on the restaurants near the beach. (better go out and have a drink or buy from Spar Supermarket nearby)
Beaches around are very poor. Better choose Malia or Agios Nikolaos as a destination. Hersonissos is an expensive place and "kitschy".

Room Tip: Book a superior room, to stay in the new building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JustUsTheOnes
As far as location goes. Hersonissos is the #1 destination in Crete. Whether you liked it or not, it is and will be the #1 destination for years to come. We fed over 200 people a night average in the month of June this year. That is over 6000 dinners for the month. But you say the food is terrible, just a few options. 6 hot dishes every night 12 - 13 salads 1 soup fruit and dessert. For most of the people it is enough. I guess not for you. The soup we serve every night is in a 5 liter container. How can we possibly serve the same smashed vegetable soup every night. Lentil, minestrone, chicken, tomato, vegetable. I guess all the same to you. On the 7 day menu is stfado, kokinisto, and gyro. All are chopped pieces of meat cooked a different way. But again all looks and tastes the same to you. A lunch box is a pick nick lunch. All it is is Ham, Cheese, an egg a vegetable and a piece of cake. What do you expect an English breakfast. Early breakfast the restaurant starts at 07:30 in the morning. The staff starts at 07:00 by 07:30 we open the breakfast room. It is a courtesy to the guests that we give them cake and coffee in the morning when they choose to leave so early in the morning before the restaurant opens. Why is it our fault if you chose to leave that early or booked a holiday when the return flight is so early in the morning? Some people like you seems do not appreciate anything. I have traveled around the world. If my flight was that early the only thing open was the Hotel bar. I would have to pay for coffee and cake. We give it free as a courtesy to our guests. Our drink prices are in line with the restaurants yes thank you. The Hotels are always more expensive than the restaurants and tavernas usually. We are not!!! We are situated in the heart of port Hersonissos. You are right that we don't have the best beaches in the center. But it still is the #1 destination in Crete. We offer a lot more than the other cities or villages for most people to come here in Hersonissos.

Travelers are raving about these Hersonissos hotels

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The most ugly hotel I have ever seen!!! The bathroom was dirty. The ojbects in the room were old or very old, the paint on the walls was awful. The smell in the room was bad. The food in the hotel's restaurant was poor. Luckly Crete has many atractions so I spent outside as many time as I could.
The island is great but the hotel is horror.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Claudia R
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Claudia
As I have mentioned in other reviews. We do have 2 types of rooms. For people that are on a budget we have a basic room. We also have better rooms for someone that wants something better. We did not force you to book a basic economy room. You booked the Hotel and the type of room you could afford. We do not try to be something we are not. As in previous reviews I have mentioned this. We have a website any question a guest would have is in the site. We get emails from our site all the time from people trying to find out different things.We always respond to everybody. The pictures on our site are recent. We are not hiding anything the rooms are just like the pictures. Anytime guests that have issues, whatever they might be, my staff is fantastic in helping anyway they can. You say the bathroom was dirty and smelled bad. If you came to the reception I am 100% sure the receptionist would have gone out of her way to show you another room to solve whatever problem you had. You didn't. We try to tend to everybody, always, but we have to know something is wrong. If we new you where that unhappy we could have helped you to go to another Hotel. A far as the food goes. We have a 7 day menu of all different types hot Greek cuisine. We are in Greece after all. I know the Greek food is not for everybody. Nothing I can do about that.. We are glad the area at least was to your satisfaction.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Hotel Oceanis
#91 of 171 in Hersonissos
Central Hersonissos Hotel
Central Hersonissos Hotel
#34 of 171 in Hersonissos

Been to Hotel Agrabella? Share your experiences!