“all inclusive not what it means !!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Agrabella

Hotel Agrabella
Ranked #119 of 178 Hotels in Hersonissos
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“all inclusive not what it means !!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2011

me and my partner came to crete to enjoy a relaxing holiday we arrived late due to delays which i know i cant moan as it happens we stayed in a room that was horrible no view apart from concrete and other residents homes .. there was no air con if u wanted any type of air con u had to pay we stayed there few nights then we was told u can upgrade not by staff but by other members who was there on their holdiays there was lack off communication from the management ... so we had to pay an extra 170 euros to what we had all ready paid to stay in comfort... well here is the best bit we went all inclusive ... im not sure what all inclusive means to the manager well the owner as it didnt start till 11AM and it was cheap nasty beer ouzo raki and wine u could strip paint off so u can imagine what it does to your insides .. then after 10.30 u had to pay for your drinks which ok they have to make a living but not even water didn`t come into that all in... food some nights was ok we went out every night as i found if the food was not eaten that night they warmed it up the next day .... cold chips which was reheated from 2 days after... i only eat the salads ... to many flies on the food... drinks of coffee were limted .. beds linen changed once a week and towels every other day ... pool was not inviting not child friendly which im sooo glad i never brought my kids ... internet that was a joke 2 euros for half hour which u didnt get what u paid for... pool table 2 euros and was broke.. cocktails they had a deal on them but tasted terrible not like on beach front but i suppose u pay for what u get ... shame really good job we brought enough money otherwise we would of starved and died of dehydration ... the cook and staff watch every move u made which made me uncomfortable... over all of this holiday was not worth the money and i won`t be going back there again.... cost to much money .. i could say more but i might make the owner cry so enough said ..

Room Tip: i cant state a good room unless u upgrade and its unfair when u already pay good money to go there...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jay d
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
I am crying to tell you the truth. That is because I am laughing so hard from this review. It is amazing from one review to another how things are exact opposites. When you book a holiday, I have said this before, do some homework. Call the Hotel ask the questions that need to be asked. All Hotels will take the time to answer your questions. If they don't answer them, then you know something is wrong right away. You booked a last minute holiday at a very cheap price. Be realistic about your review. The agency you booked with knows the all inclusive program offered. Why didn't you ask to see what it was and the times for all inclusive. All inclusive does not mean 24 hrs anywhere! Shame on you talking that way about the staff because they are very friendly and very good. Did you ever think you where not the best guests? and not easy to please!! maybe??? I'm still crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Guildford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

We were 2 couples who stayed for a week All Inclusive in September 2011.

Staff: Two of the three bar staff were always friendly and helpful, one left a bit to be desired in his manner but he left before we did. The management, Anastasios and Marie were always polite and helpful, as were the restaurant staff. Thank you all.

Food: With a couple of fussy eaters in our party we thought the food may be a problem but there was always enough choice at each meal that was suitable for everyone. Continental breakfast plus every cereal ever made, was the norm but as stated there was scrambled egg and sausages some mornings. We personally didn’t have a problem with that, I guess we’re just used to it.

Room: As the board basis was all inclusive, the fairly small room was probably acceptable as somewhere to sleep but the bathroom was a massive letdown. We haven’t seen a shower that isn’t on the wall in about 8 years anywhere we’ve stayed in Greece. For this reason we upgraded to the much larger room which had a hook on the wall for the shower, (so much easier to wash!) plus a fridge which meant we could use proper milk for tea, coffee etc first and last thing, (as we went out and bought a kettle) a hairdryer and also included the cost of the AC. As we normally use AC to keep the mozzies at bay it was worth upgrading.
Having decided to upgrade, I must say...regardless of how many rooms there are at the hotel, it has to be relatively cheap to put a hook on the wall for the shower in the standard rooms. Most of the people we spoke to couldn't believe it either, please consider this for the future.
The room was kept clean and the towels and sheets were changed halfway during our week’s stay.

Facilities: The internet and pool table were much cheaper elsewhere but then the bottled water was on a par pricewise and so much easier to buy there than carrying back to hotel.

All Inclusive Option Overview: I don’t think I have seen an AI review on here so this is our personal overall experience of the deal.
The bar at the pool didn’t open until 11am and breakfast finished at 9:30am so it wasn’t possible to get a cup of tea, coffee, or any other drink before 11am, when the All Inclusive deal started. We took advantage of the AI option early on but not so much when we discovered it ended at 10:30pm prompt.
If it was 10:31pm you could not get even a cup of tea or coffee unless you paid for it which seemed quite petty. Believe me, we tried, unsuccessfully! Fair play to the staff they were only doing their job.
We made friends with some other couples and we wanted to sit around the hotel bar at night and do what people do on holiday, get to know each other, have a laugh etc but all of us felt a bit miffed by the rigidity of the AI deal. We also felt that if it had continued later, say till midnight, the hotel would still have made money as not all of us were on the AI drinks.
There was a good 2 for 5euro deal on cocktails early evening and if we had been able to continue later at the bar we would have stayed on the cocktails at the dearer price, so I feel the management shot themselves in the foot with their strict timings. It brought most of our evenings to an early abrupt end, which wasn’t what we all expected.

Overall: Well located hotel, we didn’t find it noisy at all considering location.
Sufficient selection and quantity of food.
Pool freezing as it doesn’t get much sun (maybe because it was September?!?)
We knew it was going to be basic so weren't surprised by much, except the shower.
Good, friendly, helpful and informative staff.
But... despite our best efforts, not as much atmosphere as we have experienced elsewhere, which was a real shame

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior room, fridge, AC and sun on balcony included
1 Thank soolooSurrey
manchester uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Had a great time in crete :) the location was fantasic and the reception staff was excellent nothing was too much trouble for them :) , however im afraid thats all the good points about this hotel, the food was disgusting they catered for everybody apart from the british, cold boiled eggs on toast was not what i expected of a 3 star hotel , the maid didnt even speak a word to us all week, there was used soap which was green left on the sink in the bathroom when we got there, it was only removed on our last day also there was a red mark on the table on the balcony it took 5 days for it to be removed, the plus side we got clean towels and bed sheets just thrown on the bed, the beds was comfy enough though, found crete expensive though even the supermarkets was not cheap, it should be a 2 star at the most

Room Tip: book another hotel
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
Dear Guest
We do not cater to any nationality. At any given time in the summer we have at least 10-12 different nationalities in the Hotel. I hope you didn't expect to eat English food at the Hotel. There are many fast food stores for that in the area. We serve as do most Hotels in Greece, Greek food. An open mind is needed when travelling to other countries, especially with the food. I have travelled to 22 different countries so far. I never complained that the Hotels did not offer mousaka, stifado, souvlaki, or giouvetsi on the buffet or menu. They would laugh at me. When you book a last minute holiday with food, in a destination of your choice the food will be that countries specialty. It is common sense. I have been in England 3 times I never asked for feta cheese. I was expecting an English Breakfast because I was in England and to my surprise I had to pay extra. If I wanted an omellette or bacon or fried eggs it cost 6.50 GB.
I have 2 times more choices for breakfast than all three of the Hotels I have stayed in, in England. Baked beans and omellette's are on the breakfast buffet every morning. If the omellettes finish then we put hard boiled eggs on the buffet. As for the maid the are very friendly and very nice. No they do not speak English only basic words but are friendly. The green soap you refer to is olive oil soap that is why it is green. All natural product that is not wrapped that is the way it is. It was not used. The balcony table you could have a point. The whole staff at Agrabella is fantastic and bend over backwards to help the guest. If you told the reception staff abou the balcony table I am possitive it would have been taken cared of right away. Next time book your holiday in advance it costs more but you can choose where to go. A last minute holiday is cheaper, you pay peanuts and a lot more is expected. If you are used to certain things why go last minute. Greece is definately cheaper than England. I do not know about the supermarkets though. I never go on Holiday and shop in a supermarket for food and drinks. That is what Hotels are for. Next time try a last minute self catering holiday. It will probably be more to your tastes!
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

full of mosquitoes during the night!!, a lot of noise in rooms near the street, totally unsatisfactory breakfast due monotonous!

2 Thank Theo L
AnastasiosDedes, Owner at Hotel Agrabella, responded to this review, September 19, 2011
Dear Theo

You are 100% right about the mosquitoes in Crete. They are everywhere. The only way to control them is with Autan, it is a mosquito repellent that costs 2-3 euros per stick, it lasts for 1 month. It is the least expensive way to. All Hotels and tavernas go through the same problems in Crete. We have mosquitoes all year long not only in the summer unfortunately. With the noise, the Hotel is situated in the the center of town those problems with scooters and street noise do happen unfortunately in the center. If you choose a Hotel outside the center of town then you have all the extra expenses with taxi's. And being far away from everything. July and August are the two months there are a lot of youths in Hersonissos. If you come for quiet you are better off booking a Hotel outside of Hersonissos. As for the breakfast being the same everyday I guess you are right. 3 types of bread( black, white, and traditional), butter, 5 types of marmalade, ( strawberry, cherry, kiwi, orange, peach)corn flakes, choco flakes, choco pops, muesli, cheerios, merenda, honey, dry toast, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, feta cheese, yellow cheese, 1 of 3 types of ham daily, fresh tomato, mix fruit cocktail, peaches cocktail, croissants, vegetable omellete, baked beans, raisins, cake, tea, yogurt, hot and cold milk, jacobs coffee, hot chocolate, espresso, grapefruit juice, orange juice. This is what is put out everyday for breakfast Ican see how you got tired of the variety of the buffet.
We are simple people with a 3 star Hotel. My prices are very economical the whole summer. You get what you pay for in life. We have a simple modest Hotel with the right price. Our friendly staff, and service is fantastic. I think next time you should book a 4 star or better to get what you are looking for.
Regards
Anastasios Dedes

Travelers are raving about these Hersonissos hotels

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I've been staying at the hotel for couple of weeks at the end of august. The hotel is plain, but very clean and provides all necessary services. The staff members and the whole work team are amazing, receptionists are very friendly, polite, always eager to help.
Location is perfect - right in the city center, but on the quiet side street, 2 min walk from night life and 5 min walk from the beach.
The food of the restaurant is traditional and veeeery tasty, it was a great pleasure to visit it every evening for a dinner.
Pool is small, but very cosy and close to the bar.
Have only positive emotions, looking foward to come back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kira Y
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed at the Agrabella hotel for a week all inclusive with my friend and had a fantastic time. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Food was very good and you could always find something nice to eat. You normally find that in all inclusive hotels the food can get very repetitive however here you had a different meat (liver, chicken, beef, pork, etc..) and fish meal (octopus, fish fingers, cod) every night which were very tasty. This is being written from a very fussy eater. One of the issues with the all inclusive is that there wasn't a great selection of drinks on offer (7up, orange fanta, lemon fanta, coke, tea, coffee, cups of water!, raki, ouzo, wine, mythos) however me and my friend are avid cheap wine drinkers and we found it suited us fine and for the cheap price we paid was expected.
The hotel was literally less than a two minute walk from the main shopping street and strip which lead to the beach - five minutes walk. Bars were OK price, two cocktails for 5 Euro's - in many parts of Greece I've known this to be 7 Euro's each. Clubs we're packed and had a great night life. I will say however that there are few English which is a good thing - no fights or prepubescent misogynistic English lads! (I went to Kavos last year and it was full of them, to much for me at the age of 21).
Overall had a fantastic time at this value hotel and it was well worth the money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank 186338Hope123
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

Had a week here in June, what a great place to stay. Good location, quiet but only a couple of minutes walk to the main area. Sebastian and his cocktails are to die for, Marie was the perfect hostess, attentive and informative. We stayed half board and couldn't fault the food. I was worried it wouldn't be Greek, but it was, and not a chip in sight!!!! Perfect. Eat as much as you like, freshly prepared and sooooo tasty. Will definitely be going back for some more later in the year.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
12 Thank Goadavid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Central Hersonissos Hotel
#92 of 178 in Hersonissos
Maragakis Hotel
Maragakis Hotel
#66 of 178 in Hersonissos

Been to Hotel Agrabella? Share your experiences!