“Lovely break”

Albatros Spa & Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 184 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I was slightly concerned after reading all the comments about the rooms in the old block so was more than ready to be disappointed when we were shown our room. Yes, they are dated and quite small but very clean and comfortable. If you have booked a standard room please don't worry too much they look dated but are spotless.

The rest of the hotel is modern and clean and we were always able to get a lounger although reserving of sunbeds was ridiculous- came home very late one night to find people had already put towels down. Food is good with lots of choice and a fresh cooking station which changes every night and serves pancakes and omelettes for breakfast.

On a massive bonus they left me a lovely note and cake in the fridge for my birthday and upgraded us for free, wow wha a difference in the rooms. The location of the hotel is brilliant with shops, bra, restaurants and beach very near. I would visit again.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lovesgettingaway
funseasun, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Albatros Spa & Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2014

Thank you for honouring our hotel with your stay! Your team highly appreciate your kind review which strengthens our efforts to offer our hotel guests always our best.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,064)

Reviewed August 30, 2014

Stayed 19th -26th August 2014. DO NOT judge this hotel on how it looks from the street or the reception area!! I was quite worried about the hotel when entering the reception as it looked nothing liked any pictures i'd seen. It is extremely dark, with very tired and dated furniture and the walls and floor are covered in dark wood. Walking out of the reception to the rest of the hotel is like walking into a completely different hotel! The pool area was lovely and clean, plenty of sunbeds. Be warned though, it says the hotel won't accept people putting towels down before 8am or leaving them unattended for long periods of time, but nothing is done about this at all, we once had an early departure for a trip at 7am and there was already a number of towels down.

We were on half board, the good thing about the hotel is that you can choose by a day to day between having lunch or evening meal as one of your half board meals. Breakfast is good, plently of choice, we ate in twice for lunch where the selection isn't great and was pretty much the same both days. Evening meals are better and there is a decent choice but I can't say I would have enjoyed eating there all week. The pool side food is lovely and choice of drinks is good. The staff throughout the hotel are brilliant and very polite. Only disappointment regarding food is that when reading about the hotel when booking it says they have a seperate al a carte resturant that you can book for a small supplement depending on board basis, what we didn't realise until we tried to book a table one night is that this resturant is only avaible when they do themed menu nights, which only happened twice during our week with one being on the night we arrived. The rest of the time the resturant is just left empty, which is a shame as it looks a lovely area.

Overall cleanliness of the hotel is excellent. There was always staff around the hotel and the pool was given a deep clean every evening. We paid for a superior double room in the new part of the hotel after reading reviews about rooms in the old part. I would definitely recommend doing this, because if the hotel reception is anything to go by I can't imagine the decor of the rooms!!

I can't comment on the spa as we didn't use it. I've read some reviews complaining that hotel residents still have to pay for treatments, I don't understand the issue with that as it makes no claims anywhere that residents wouldn't pay. The spa offers a large range of treatments, and if I hadn't have had nails etc done beforehand I would have used it as treatments were the same price if not cheaper than at home. Throughout the week there was leaflets in the hotel offering resisdents spa packages for discount prices.

If you want a holiday to just relax by the pool than this hotel is perfect!

Room Tip: If you can, choose to upgrade to a superior room to ensure you are in the newest part of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing your hotel stay. All guest comments are valued and highly appreciated in our efford to offer our guests a pleasent stay.

Reviewed August 30, 2014 via mobile

Just returned back to uk from two weeks in this hotel. Our experience was of excellence at every level. Service, friendliness, family run... All reflected great excellence. Nearby everything ... Best beach & position ... Prices for drinks etc were reasonable for such a hotel. Delicious carte d'or ice creams at pool bar only €2 each ... 1 l bottle water (we had one for 4 of us each meal time) €2.70. Even poolside baguettes with crisps (enough for two medium eaters to share for small lunch) We had breakfast & dinner included in half board option. Fresh pancakes at breakfasts & plenty of great food ... Selection varied daily . Alternate evenings were freshly prepared pasta selection to order (open kitchen whee chef prepares delicious pasta meals & others were gourmet desserts made to order in front of you.
Rooms were kept extremely clean (floors mopped daily). Every member of staff were extremely friendly & happy to engage in conversation/ answer all questions & polite.
Would recommend Daphne gourmet restaurant ... We had the €15 pp eve meal .... Wow , fantastic value (4 courses of stunning food).
We were given a choice of rooms on arrival & that was brilliant.
Would highly recommend this hotel on every level

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Andre P
Reviewed August 30, 2014

We stayed here in August 2014 for 11 nights and overall we had a brilliant time even though we stayed in the dreaded old part of the hotel in a standard room! The room was basic but clean and comfortable with air con and fridge included for no extra cost. The bathroom was a little more disappointing as the shower is tiny and temperamental. Overall, I don't feel that the older, standard part of the hotel deserves all of the the criticism.

The food was ok but it became a bit samey towards the end of the holiday. It may not be great for fussy eaters. The outside, live-cooking bar was good but featured pasta 4 out of 7 nights which didn't seem quite right. The dining areas are lovely and the staff are friendly. Complementary tea, coffee and juices are offered at breakfast but absolutely no drinks are free at dinner if you are half board which becomes quite pricey! I would highly recommend trying the Daphne gourmet restaurant.

The hotel is beautiful and would be suitable for most types of travellers. There is loads of seating so you can always find somewhere near the pool/bar. Even though we were there in mid-August, the hotel didn't seem crowded and it had a relaxed atmosphere. It is right next to a lovely beach where you can rent sun loungers all day for 8 euros for two loungers. I would also highly recommend the 'Coast Cafe' which is just round the corner. Delicious!

Room Tip: Standard rooms are fine, comfortable and clean with a traditional decor. If you're after somethi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I was on holiday here with my boyfriend a few weeks, the reviews we had read are quite right, you definitely should upgrade to a superior room. We had enquired about the superior room prior to the holiday with the hotel and they said that they didn't have any during our stay. But when we arrived, they told us that there was one available in 2 days, when we got to the room we were very glad that we had asked to upgrade. The room we were given was tiny, old and dingy. The shower was just a basin with a curtain wrapped around, that stuck to you whilst showering! (I wondered how many people it had been wrapped around...) The staff showed us the superior room the next day, similar to the one we were upgrading to. One of the reception staff showed us to the room. She knocked the door and kind of creeped into the room, clearly from all the belongings in the room, somebody was staying there! We took room for the additional cost without a second consideration, was totally worth the extra money. The rooms were much bigger, newer and seemed cleaner. There are 2 pools and plenty of sun loungers but you need to get down early to get a good one. On the second night we were in the superior room I took my new Lancôme mascara that I had bought in the airport in Belfast out to put on, which I quickly realised was certainly not mine! The bristles were flat and the tube was empty, on closer inspection also there was sparkly purple and silver nail polish dotted on it too, not the colours I had with me! So I immediately took it to reception, who agreed with me that the bristles were completely flat. The receptionist then proceeded to say that it could not have happened in their hotel as their staff have been there for a minimum of 7 years. However, they said they would ask the cleaner and get back to me, which never happened. So, my boyfriend emailed the hotel after our stay as we were very disappointed at the service received. Bottom line was, my mascara was taken in their hotel room. A simple apology would have been suffice but no, not even "sorry this happened in our hotel", terrible customer service and rude reception staff. And out of pocket for a new Lancôme mascara, which also left me without one for the remainder of the holiday.

Saying that, the bar staff were very pleasant and bar food okay. Food served in the restaurant didn't look very appealing so we are out for breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Joanne M
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Stayed here in June. Staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. Can't praise them enough. Hotel itself spotless. Pool /pool area excellent. Downside of this hotel the rooms in the old building! Rooms were spotless but were drab and dated. Very disappointed and asked to be moved. They agreed to move us to new block at a cost of 120 euros for remaining 6 nights!!! I couldn't believe the difference in the standard of the rooms. New block was beautiful and was what l'd expected on arrival. Think travel companies should make potential clients aware of this and point out rooms in old part are 2/3 * def not 4* It is definately a problem that needs to be addressed. If you book a 4* you expect 4* accomodation. Many thanks again to the amazing hardworking, cheerful, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room in new part of hotel which is excellent. Old part average. Which is why l'...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Valham55
Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Spent five days with twenty-something kids. Good food - each day was different - specials were nice s.a. crepes, grilled meat, pasta etc. Room was very clean but no sea view. Acoustic separation btw rooms is poor. As usual, not enough beds in pool. Spa prices are a disgrace - 12 eu per 20 min jacuzzi use, and if you want sauna you need to pay more. Wifi prices steep plus half of the time we couldnt connect. Beach very close though beds are four eu.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends