“Amazing hotel”

Albatros Spa & Resort Hotel
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I just came back from this hotel and i only have good words to say about it.After check in we were showed to our room, a superior room.The room is spacious,new and modern furniture,flat tv,mini fridge,a robe and slippers,free Ac and safe box.The bathroom is very big,with a bathtub,dryer and telephone.We also were lucky enough to have a balcony with a view to the pool and to the sea!The sea is like 50 m from the hotel and a 5-10 minutes walk from the center and the promenade of Hersonissos!
The hotel has 2 pools,a big one and a smaller but more intimate one with enough free sunbeds for everyone.The breakfast was pretty much the same everyday but the food was very tasty and plenty of choices:cereals,milk,butter,omelet,fried eggs,boiled eggs,vegetables salad,pancakes(my fav),sausages,cheese,bacon,juices,fruits, cakes etc,etc
At dinner you can find chicken,nuggets,beef,sheep,fish,fries,potatoes,tatziky,moussaka,icecream,cakes made on spot at your request,all kind of cakes and very tasty ones,fruits etc
Most of the personnel is very kind,always smiling and say "kalimera" or "kalispera"
The hotel has a spa,sauna,a beauty salon, shop and souvenirs an a free gym.
We were very happy with our hotel choice,it was well worth it and i 100 % recommend it but you must have a superior room!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Popescu I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,062)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at the Albatross hotel last August.

Now I'm extremely fussy when it comes to food, location, service, hotel etc but couldn't really fault any of it.

Food..
When booking the holiday there were only two options, full or half board. I would have preferred to be Bed and Breakfast but gave the half board a go, as it was the only hotel I really liked the look of in the area. If you can do B&B do, because there are so many different restaurants near the hotel and the food is gorgeous. It's worth taking a look! Having said that the food at the hotel is fine, there's even a chef that cooks dinner in front of you and I still managed to fill my plate up at least 2/3 times at breakfast every morning, yes I like food! The breakfast buffet offers hot and cold food which was just what I wanted!

Location..
After being on the coach for a little while, we saw a few other holiday makers get dropped off at hotels that seemed to be in the middle of nowhere. I hoped ours wasn't going to be the same as that's my worst nightmare, especially as it's advertised as being close to the beach, shops, nightlife, shopping etc. Soon after we turned onto the main road that led just off of the hotel. I could see a few shops but it looked quiet enough to be able to relax but had plenty around. Once unpacked, we headed out to explore how close we were and realised the hotel was in prime location, to everything! The beach is less then a 5 minute walk, harbour just around the corner and in between a lot of restaurants and shops. The nightlife, wow, I was not expecting it to be so buzzing. Heading down the harbour there were bars, clubs, restaurants on the front, absolutely packed and the atmosphere was genuinely friendly, everyone just wanted to have a good time. Who needs Malia? Hersonissos definitely has it's own nightlife, I loved it!

Hotel..
If you are booking to stay I would advice staying in a superior room. At first I thought how different can the two sides of the hotel be, but once you are there you can see a difference from the old to new part of the hotel. They are obviously wanting to change the whole hotel to be the same within the next few years but I know staying in a standard room can affect your opinion of the whole hotel. Our superior room was lovely, we had a pool/sea view and the view was incredible. We barely saw anyone around on our floor so there was never any noise. When the evening entertainment would start we could hear and see it from our balcony when getting ready to go out, was lovely. Our TV, air-con and hot water all worked fine, there was only 1 time I experienced the water going slightly cooler but then back to hot and that was at peak time when a lot of holiday makers would be in their rooms getting ready. We had a bath and shower in our room so am confused to why others haven't been able to have the same? The same for the service, was immaculate, always friendly and smiley to us, they couldn't seem to do enough. Room was always cleaned, fresh bed linen and towels every day. What more could a girl ask for?

Things to do..
There was definitely plenty to get up to, we went on a day trip to the island slightly south of Crete 'Chrissi Island' and to the water park 'Water City', which was hilarious, felt like a teenager all over again. We also took a short cab ride to Star beach which was a brilliant day. There's a lot more too.. Nearby markets, aquarium, scuba diving, water sports, nearby towns etc.

All in all I had a brilliant holiday and recommend anyone to go there! Definitely had the holiday blues on the plane home!!

Room Tip: Book a superior room! Try B&B, instead of half board! Go out and explore!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jetta-Leiy
Reviewed July 22, 2013

7 nights in June, half board

Positives:
- The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Adam on reception and Alex on the pool bar (amazing cocktails!);
- The food: variety of delicious traditional greek and international meals; Excellent breakfast including pancakes, omelettes, croissants and a various choice of fresh fruit. Dinner was good as well.
- The pool and the pool bar were very nice, the water in the pool was quite cold though.
- Location: the hotel is one minute away from the beach. It is close to the center and there are many shops near by.

Negatives:
- Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between the standard and the superior rooms. I highly recommend you to book a superior room.
- We booked a double bedroom but we still got 2 single beds which weren't very comfortable.

Overall I can say that I would recommend the hotel. I am not sure whether I would visit it again as I like exploring new places, but I can definitely say I had a lovely holiday there and I wish we could have stayed a bit longer.

Room Tip: book a superior room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sboeva
Reviewed July 20, 2013

2nd time we have been to this hotel and it just gets better. Everything is just what they say in the brochure but nicer. So close to the beach and harbour you just couldnt ask for more. Lovely food at all times and staff are Really lovely. This time we hired a car wich was arranged for us by the manager, we went to some fab places, wish we were there right now :(

Room Tip: We had a superior room overlooking the pool it was excellent
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Wow, this must be a first, I couldn't find much to complain about the hotel, it was great. But, and lets get the one negative out of the way first... like an earlier reviewer, parts of the resort are a bit scruffy or boring.

Shopping is limited and, for example, there are the sort of tat shops and bars you might find in Spanish resorts, but not in French or Italian ones. The beach area is small and, in parts due to the sharp pebbles, is a great exfoliator! In fact one of the locals told us that the eastern part of the island towards Chania is the nicest. Yet, if you can't sit still for too long there is a land train, bus service and Heraklion and Knossos are not too far away - and yes Heraklion has a Marks and Spencer!!!

However, although I wouldn't travel to Hersonissos on its own merits, I would come here again for a week because the Albatros was excellent value and for a 'fly and flop' hard to beat.

We stayed in a superior sea view room on half board. The room was very spacious and comfortable; and like the rest of the hotel, spotlessly clean. The public areas of the old part of the hotel were very well presented too. I suspect we wouldn't have enjoyed a room in the older part as much and thanks to other reviewers, and the pics that other people have uploaded, this is why we didn't book one.

Food is plentiful and varied with local options as well as more 'international' dishes. If you go hungry here it would have to be your fault rather than the Albatros'. There is a good bar, some entertainment twice a week and two nice pools with plenty of loungers. Like the internal part of the hotel the grounds are really well maintained and planted. It isn't a small hotel, but because of the way it is designed and the staff are so friendly and welcoming, it feels like one. We also had a massage in the spa, which was fantastic.

I hope to return next year and recommend you give this hotel a try.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. We booked a superior room and found it to be clean and modern with a nice large bathroom with a bath. There was also plenty of storage for clothes with two large fitted wardrobes with floor length mirrors. Our balcony was also large but was one of the only rooms without a divide between ours and next doors balcony, but we didn't mind too much! The food was fantastic especially having it cooked by the chef in front of you! There were also plenty of sunbeds and we were lucky to have one of the cushioned ones every day. The staff are fantastic, especially at breakfast and around the pool bar. The hotel is located in a fantastic location, plenty of bars and cafes and the beach was also only 20m away. Take a trip to one of the water parks while you are there and also have lunch by the sea in blue bay cafe bar! The view is lovely. All in all I couldn't have wished for a better holiday!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Alwaysonholiday22
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nice hotel,close to the beach,good food- we had half-board.To enjoy at maximum this hotel you must book a superior room because the standard rooms are more like 2 star.Good entertainment at the pool in the evening,enjoy good cocktails at the pool.Good quiet location.

Room Tip: Only the superior rooms are a 4 star.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Creta Maris Beach Resort
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Marni Village
Marni Village
#2 of 13 in Koutouloufari

Been to Albatros Spa & Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!