“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #17 of 172 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed July 22, 2013

7 nights in June, half board

Positives:
- The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Adam on reception and Alex on the pool bar (amazing cocktails!);
- The food: variety of delicious traditional greek and international meals; Excellent breakfast including pancakes, omelettes, croissants and a various choice of fresh fruit. Dinner was good as well.
- The pool and the pool bar were very nice, the water in the pool was quite cold though.
- Location: the hotel is one minute away from the beach. It is close to the center and there are many shops near by.

Negatives:
- Keep in mind that there is a huge difference between the standard and the superior rooms. I highly recommend you to book a superior room.
- We booked a double bedroom but we still got 2 single beds which weren't very comfortable.

Overall I can say that I would recommend the hotel. I am not sure whether I would visit it again as I like exploring new places, but I can definitely say I had a lovely holiday there and I wish we could have stayed a bit longer.

Room Tip: book a superior room
1  Thank sboeva

Reviewed July 20, 2013

2nd time we have been to this hotel and it just gets better. Everything is just what they say in the brochure but nicer. So close to the beach and harbour you just couldnt ask for more. Lovely food at all times and staff are Really lovely. This time we hired a car wich was arranged for us by the manager, we went to some fab places, wish we were there right now :(

Room Tip: We had a superior room overlooking the pool it was excellent
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Wow, this must be a first, I couldn't find much to complain about the hotel, it was great. But, and lets get the one negative out of the way first... like an earlier reviewer, parts of the resort are a bit scruffy or boring.

Shopping is limited and, for example, there are the sort of tat shops and bars you might find in Spanish resorts, but not in French or Italian ones. The beach area is small and, in parts due to the sharp pebbles, is a great exfoliator! In fact one of the locals told us that the eastern part of the island towards Chania is the nicest. Yet, if you can't sit still for too long there is a land train, bus service and Heraklion and Knossos are not too far away - and yes Heraklion has a Marks and Spencer!!!

However, although I wouldn't travel to Hersonissos on its own merits, I would come here again for a week because the Albatros was excellent value and for a 'fly and flop' hard to beat.

We stayed in a superior sea view room on half board. The room was very spacious and comfortable; and like the rest of the hotel, spotlessly clean. The public areas of the old part of the hotel were very well presented too. I suspect we wouldn't have enjoyed a room in the older part as much and thanks to other reviewers, and the pics that other people have uploaded, this is why we didn't book one.

Food is plentiful and varied with local options as well as more 'international' dishes. If you go hungry here it would have to be your fault rather than the Albatros'. There is a good bar, some entertainment twice a week and two nice pools with plenty of loungers. Like the internal part of the hotel the grounds are really well maintained and planted. It isn't a small hotel, but because of the way it is designed and the staff are so friendly and welcoming, it feels like one. We also had a massage in the spa, which was fantastic.

I hope to return next year and recommend you give this hotel a try.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. We booked a superior room and found it to be clean and modern with a nice large bathroom with a bath. There was also plenty of storage for clothes with two large fitted wardrobes with floor length mirrors. Our balcony was also large but was one of the only rooms without a divide between ours and next doors balcony, but we didn't mind too much! The food was fantastic especially having it cooked by the chef in front of you! There were also plenty of sunbeds and we were lucky to have one of the cushioned ones every day. The staff are fantastic, especially at breakfast and around the pool bar. The hotel is located in a fantastic location, plenty of bars and cafes and the beach was also only 20m away. Take a trip to one of the water parks while you are there and also have lunch by the sea in blue bay cafe bar! The view is lovely. All in all I couldn't have wished for a better holiday!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Alwaysonholiday22
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nice hotel,close to the beach,good food- we had half-board.To enjoy at maximum this hotel you must book a superior room because the standard rooms are more like 2 star.Good entertainment at the pool in the evening,enjoy good cocktails at the pool.Good quiet location.

Room Tip: Only the superior rooms are a 4 star.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My partner and I visited this hotel for the first time, arriving on 15th June. The staff were really friendly and pleasant. The food in the restaurant was excellent with an array of fresh local Cretan dishes. We were in the old part of the hotel and the room was spotlessly clean if not a little small in the bathroom. Hersonissos is a lively resort with lots to do for all ages. Catch the local bus to Aghios Nicholaos which is around 8 euros and well worth a trip. All in all we had a fab time and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room if possible.
2  Thank Beverley C
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Visited this 4* hotel in early June 2013. The first thing you MUST know about this hotel is that it is in two parts. The normal rooms in the older reception building and the superior rooms in the two new wings overlooking the pool. We had booked the superior rooms and were delighted with what we found. A superb room with pool view (I think they all have pool view, or most) with fridge, tv etc and a very pleasant feel to it altogether. Met up with a few people who had booked the normal rooms and they said that they were very basic and certainly not 4*. One couple complained so much about them that they moved them across the road into a bigger apartment (they took us in to show us it) but very old and dull and not what you'd expect of 4* accommodation. We'd have been very upset if we had ended up here too.
The hotel bar area and pool is excellent and the food is very good and varied with a chef cooking for you on the spot every night pasta etc. The staff were brilliant too!!
So, if you're thinking of coming to visit this hotel, PLEASE book the superior rooms for a great holiday. You have been warned.
The resort itself has nothing in the way of entertainment for anybody over 30 though so please take a book. There are lots of pubs along the front (a few with boom boom music for 16 year olds) but there's nothing for anybody else, I'm afraid except very quiet pubs.
So, overall I loved the hotel, the hotel food, the bar, the pool and everything else about the hotel (Superior Rooms, I'm talking about), but would I go back to Hersonissos?
No, because I was bored after about three days and was glad I was only there for 7 days.

Hotel score 18 out of 20. (Superior Rooms). As I said, book a normal room at your peril.
Resort (Boring) score 7 or 8 out of 20.

Room Tip: You must must must must must must book a Superior Room!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family