“A Disgraceful Hotel Complex with SERIOUS Issues ..”

Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort
Ranked #13 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“A Disgraceful Hotel Complex with SERIOUS Issues ..”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Disregard for Health & Safety is incredible .. The hotels own Doctor on call diagnosed an infection I contracted as being down to One Of the hotels Pools which is simply filthy .. I took pictures .. I showed the front office manageress (Elena) who agreed with me it looked appalling and asked If I'd let her have copies of the pictures .. I have written to them (since returning home) Yet so far with no reply .. Other issues were .. The fridge did not work (they eventually replaced) though not our food & drinkstuffs inside .. The Bathroom Flooded (all the time) Coming up through the drain by the toilet, urgh .. Room Fanlight would come on spontaneously (middle of night) and start flashing on and off like an SOS Signal so that other rooms close by would light up to see what the problem was (Hotels answer was to take the bulbs out for rest of our stay, so no light at all then) The main Symposium Restaurant Genuinely is IMO a Total Health & Safety Nightmare RISK with staff unaware of where EXITS are located .. In any emergency from here I PREDICT A DISASTER (hope these are not infamous last words) as Staff are unaware (I addressed 4 of them Seperately to ask) of any emergency exits and the only one they would point out (official entry point) Which be assured in any stampede (as this restaurant hold hundreds) would be killing fields and newsflashed around the world as such .. Young .. Old .. Infirm .. Wheelchair users would stand NO CHANCE of getting out and the Exits which I did take the trouble to locate are BLOCKED OFF With Huge Plantpots with TREES growing in them placed there to prevent unauthorised access I presume .. I TOOK PICTURES OF EVERYTHING AND BROUGHT THEM TO THE HOTELS NOTICE .. How worrying that still 2 weeks on No One has bothered to respond directly .. I Would Be Very Concerned If I were You and had a forthcoming booking here ..

Room Tip: Do not accept the 1st room offered .. ours was directly across from the Hotels Underground maintenan...
2 Thank jkboots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed half board here for 14 nights recently. We travelled via Thomsons. Found out from the rep on arrival only 3 other english couples staying at hotel via their company. Appeared to be mostly russian guests who seemed to have taken over the hotel for the tennis tournaments which were going on during most of our holidays. As we were only half board and not Vip guests we had to eat in the main dining room which we found to be very poor and not 5 star quality. It was more like a works canteen and only given a teaspoon to eat dessert and if you were to ask restaurant staff for extra cutlery you were made to feel like a criminal. I dared to help myself to extra cutlery one evening and waitress was extremely rude to me. All food served luke warm. We also found the indoor poor very ran down with lots of broken tiles and definitely in need of a face lift. Would certainly not come back to this hotel or any other Aldermar hotel. However we did like Crete and would go back to the island again just never to this hotel or this chain of hotels.

4 Thank 671Jane_C
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

I cannot fault this place and am puzzled by some of the bad reviews.
We arrived late in the evening and as we had missed dinner had a bottle of wine & sandwiches in our room.
We were half board but were given allocated a free meal in any if the Al a carte restaurants, we chose Candia Gourmet, obviously we had to pay for our drinks but oh my god the food was amazing and amazing value !
Every day we were given a bottle of water in our room.
I've never seen such a clean and pretty hotel. The staff were friendly and spot on.
Once I've visited a hotel I don't usually go back as I like to see new places, but both myself & my friend agreed we would definitely return to this hotel if we ever cone back to crete.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Claire B
Vassilis F, General Manager at Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guests,

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at Aldemar Royal Mare. We take great pride in making everyone feel welcomed. Satisfaction of our guests is our primary concern and we are very glad when we achieve a positive result.
Your kind remarks encourage us to continue the good and hard work, assuring you of our best of attentions and quality services at all times.
We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Greece.

Kind regards
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We have just had a wonderful week at this resort. We were late arriving so a tray of sandwiches and a bottle of wine was waiting in our room together with a large bowl of fruit which was replenished daily. There was a private pool for each section of apartments and various other pools and facilities throughout the site. We had breakfast every morning in El Greco which was very good and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We ate at the main restaurant in the evenings where the food was good but not quite 5*. We ate a the Candia restaurant one evening and the food there was brilliant. We would have liked a bit more entertainment on site as the nearest town was a 7 euro taxi drive away but we were never bored. Would go again

Room Tip: We enjoyed having a room with a sea view but it was quite a steep walk up to the restaurant in the e...
1 Thank Anita P
Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Just returned yesterday from this hotel & did settle eventually for the 5 star rating.
It did not start out like that as we had our first meal in El Greco but our dinner was given to another table plus when my selection eventually arrived it was not the fillet steak I had ordered.However,I was assured my replacement course would not be too long arriving.When it did arrive,it was a sirloin steak!!!
The next night we ate in the Sympossio but was disappointed in the choice of mains.We also did not realize if you were on half board then you had to eat at Sympossio or pay a premium to eat at one of the other places.
I discussed all these disappointments with Nicholas Hourdakis (Guest Relations Manager) who did manage to put things right & provided us with a complementary meal (the Barbecue evening) at El Greco.WONDERFUL.Nicholas helped us in other matters & rescued the holiday for us.What a Guy!!!

Room Tip: Introduce yourself to Nicholas who can solve any problem.
1 Thank 123MPM
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this great review.
Nothing makes us happier than the great holiday experience of our clients, and we wish to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in Royal mare in the near future.
Kind regards
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2014

just returned from 2 weeks at this hotel in the middle of no where 7 euro taxi to nearest town, had a junior suite with shared pool which was out of this world half board,all the staff were great,nice beach,but nothing elce to do entertainment was old man in bar at 9pm or when he fell off his bar stall,the bar opens at 6pm so if you arrive in afternoon you cant get a drink of coffee,,you only find out about other places after you have booked in,and got your map.then the charges start, safe by credit card? bottle of water3.40 euros coffee 3.50 drinks with mixer10 even have to buy water and coffee with evening meal.most people were buying there drinks and snacks from supermarket in the town,the food was rubbish.all cheep stuff cerals,juice bacon etc evening meal no better same food every night very boring they had theamed nights but all at a extra charge 38 euros for a barbi it was a rip off, would not go back at any price.

Room Tip: have a junior suite 521 it was great with shared pool
1 Thank macd0nald3
Vassilis F, General Manager at Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate candid comments from our guests as they help to improve our services. I regards to your comments we would like to add the following:
At Royal Mare our guests come to relax and enjoy our numerous restaurants and world awarded Thalasso Spa center, so our soft entertainment reflect that need of our guests. For our more active guests, we offer an animation program that runs throughout the day, as well as our sports facilities which includes tennis, water sports, diving, ping pong and mini golf among others.
Your board in the hotel included breakfast and dinner, hence being charged for other consumption in the hotel. For our guests looking for packages with drinks included, they are available and information about them posted all around the hotel for the guests wanting to make an upgrade had it not been seen during the time of your reservation. The hotel has numerous restaurants and bars, and there is at all times through the day and evening, somewhere to get something to eat or drink, and we are hence surprised when you mention that you did not find anywhere to have a cup of coffee.
We do hope though that we have the opportunity to welcome you again to Royal Mare in the near future so that we can again present to you the full scope of our services.
Best Regards
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed May 16, 2014

When my travel agent told me that I'm going to spend my honeymoon at crete I was scared because I know that island is for school kids that are on vacation... anyway I didn't have any other choice so I went :/
I couldn't believe my eyes what a wonderful place I can't tell you the rest you need to go there and see trust me you won't regret it this hotel is the best ever you will feel like a king perfect food the staff and the service I will go back soon

Room Tip: Just chose any room all of the rooms are great
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikeyneame
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Aldemar Knossos Royal
#10 of 175 in Rethymnon
Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
#14 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort? Share your experiences!