I have just returned from a very late summer or even post-summer break in Crete, where I spent a week with my best friend. We went there in need of sun, high temperatures and relaxation, and as far as these three requirements, we definitely got what we were hoping for.
Aldemar Royal Mare is located on the outskirts of a small town called Hersonissos, a bit out of nowhere but right on the beach. It may not be a perfect location for people looking for constant entertainment, clubbing and shopping. But for us it was perfect, and even more so due to the fact that we went there in mid-October and the hotel was only at 40% capacity if not less, so lots of peace and quiet and no screaming kids around the swimming pools or on the beach. Heaven!
We chose the B&B option and stayed in a VIP bungalow with a private swimming pool. Worked out quite well, although the room was a bit too small to be categorised as VIP. No complaints there though, as it was perfectly clean and had enough space for 2 people.
I'm glad we only chose breakfasts as dinner options were not only slightly limited (2 restaurants out of 4 were already closed) but also rather pricey. We only had dinner there on the first evening, and it was a buffet option. I don't mind buffets at all, but I felt the food was underwhelming, not enough options, and strangely enough - not enough typical Greek cuisine.
Luckily, we found 2 restaurants just outside the hotel where the food was very good, service lovely and all that for half of the hotel price.
The hotel grounds are quite extensive and well kept, and there's a private beach which is a mix of sand and pebbles.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel out of season (but no later than mid October) if you want to relax without the crowds.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mare Luxury Resort + Thalasso is an exciting holiday destination located at the heart of the Mediterranean in a realm of myths and stories. There are so many ways to relax at this beautiful community surrounded by cooling water and verdant gardens. Chill out in the comfort of your well-appointed room, enjoy the sparkling blue waters of the sea, treat yourself at the world's finest thalassotherapy centre, discover the secrets of Cretan cuisine and embrace an enchanting summer full of traditional Cretan hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon and Booking.com so you can book your Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldemar Royal Mare And Thalasso
- Aldemar Royal Mare & Thalasso Hotel Chersonisos
- Aldemar Royal Mare Village Thalasso
- Royal Mare Village
- Royal Mare Crete
- Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort Crete, Greece