I just returned from a week at the Aldemar Royal Mare hotel and would like to share my experience.
As I am working in the tourism industry and already travelled a lot, staying in different hotel levels, I was actually quite disappointed from the Aldemar Royal Mare.
Around the hotel are mostly other resorts and only some shops and bars.The next village Chersonisous, an absolute tourism spot, is about 30minutes by foot and twice in the morning a public bus goes from the hotel entrance to Heraklion. Due to the location east of the airport, all planes fly over the resort from early in the morning til late in the evening/night.
The layout of the hotel is quite nice and you can easily forget how big the hotel actually is. The rooms are bright and spacy but the bathroom fittings are not well maintained and there could be better lighting. The air conditioning is not really up to date any more (no sleep modus for the night) and the warm air is blown in the entrance area of the room. For me this makes no sense... any comment from an expert? The view from my balcony was very nice, I could see the sea and had a private pool below. Due to the other hotels surrounding the Royal Mare it was quite hard to get a relaxing night befor 1am. The wind was always blowing the noises of the party and music from the other hotels over to my room.
Other tripadvisor users already complained about the food and I wasn't very happy with it as well. The vegetables were mostly overcooked, the meat tough and dry and the whole presentation was not up to 5* hotel standard. The special nights (Greek and Italian) weren't much different to the normal nights and the food was not always typical (Sushi at the Italian night???).
Although others complained about the high prices for drinks, I think 3.20Eur for 1l of a local still water is absolutely ok. As I didn't drink anything else at the hotel, I can't say anything else.
The prices for lunch are over the top. In the self service restaurant you pay 8Euros for a small plate of mixed salad.
Besides the food quality the service level at the restaurant wasn't as expected as well. In general I missed the advertised attentiveness of all the staff during the whole stay. The maids didn't work very thoroughly (at my first day I found two plates behind the TV - they were still there when I left), the service at the main restaurant was average (just Nectaria(I hope I remember the name correctly) was an angel), at the Candia a la carte restaurant it was better but there it took ages to get the ordered food, and I got the impression that most of the staff was quite fed up with the guests. Maybe due to the mainly Russian guests...???
Oh and before I forget - the "natural beach" has been filled up by a not very natural excavator!
All in all it was an average stay. I am glad I got a good deal due to working in the tourism industry - everything else would have been a waste of money. There are defenitely better hotels in Crete - so better compare different hotels in different locations before booking this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Mare Luxury Resort + Thalasso is an exciting holiday destination located at the heart of the Mediterranean in a realm of myths and stories. There are so many ways to relax at this beautiful community surrounded by cooling water and verdant gardens. Chill out in the comfort of your well-appointed room, enjoy the sparkling blue waters of the sea, treat yourself at the world's finest thalassotherapy centre, discover the secrets of Cretan cuisine and embrace an enchanting summer full of traditional Cretan hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Cancelon so you can book your Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldemar Royal Mare And Thalasso
- Aldemar Royal Mare & Thalasso Hotel Chersonisos
- Aldemar Royal Mare Village Thalasso
- Royal Mare Village
- Royal Mare Crete
- Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort Crete, Greece