“Don't expect the level of a northern european 5 star hotel!”

Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort
Ranked #11 of 173 Hotels in Hersonissos
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I just returned from a week at the Aldemar Royal Mare hotel and would like to share my experience.
As I am working in the tourism industry and already travelled a lot, staying in different hotel levels, I was actually quite disappointed from the Aldemar Royal Mare.

Around the hotel are mostly other resorts and only some shops and bars.The next village Chersonisous, an absolute tourism spot, is about 30minutes by foot and twice in the morning a public bus goes from the hotel entrance to Heraklion. Due to the location east of the airport, all planes fly over the resort from early in the morning til late in the evening/night.

The layout of the hotel is quite nice and you can easily forget how big the hotel actually is. The rooms are bright and spacy but the bathroom fittings are not well maintained and there could be better lighting. The air conditioning is not really up to date any more (no sleep modus for the night) and the warm air is blown in the entrance area of the room. For me this makes no sense... any comment from an expert? The view from my balcony was very nice, I could see the sea and had a private pool below. Due to the other hotels surrounding the Royal Mare it was quite hard to get a relaxing night befor 1am. The wind was always blowing the noises of the party and music from the other hotels over to my room.

Other tripadvisor users already complained about the food and I wasn't very happy with it as well. The vegetables were mostly overcooked, the meat tough and dry and the whole presentation was not up to 5* hotel standard. The special nights (Greek and Italian) weren't much different to the normal nights and the food was not always typical (Sushi at the Italian night???).
Although others complained about the high prices for drinks, I think 3.20Eur for 1l of a local still water is absolutely ok. As I didn't drink anything else at the hotel, I can't say anything else.
The prices for lunch are over the top. In the self service restaurant you pay 8Euros for a small plate of mixed salad.

Besides the food quality the service level at the restaurant wasn't as expected as well. In general I missed the advertised attentiveness of all the staff during the whole stay. The maids didn't work very thoroughly (at my first day I found two plates behind the TV - they were still there when I left), the service at the main restaurant was average (just Nectaria(I hope I remember the name correctly) was an angel), at the Candia a la carte restaurant it was better but there it took ages to get the ordered food, and I got the impression that most of the staff was quite fed up with the guests. Maybe due to the mainly Russian guests...???

Oh and before I forget - the "natural beach" has been filled up by a not very natural excavator!

All in all it was an average stay. I am glad I got a good deal due to working in the tourism industry - everything else would have been a waste of money. There are defenitely better hotels in Crete - so better compare different hotels in different locations before booking this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank theresamechow
Nitsa3, General Manager at Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and post a review on Tripadvisor. We always appreciate candid comments from our guests as they help us improve our services. In reply to your remarks we would like to state the following:

Royal Mare is located close to the village of Hersonissos, which has numerous shops, restaurants and bars, and an exciting nightlife. We are also located only a
20 - 45 minute drive from some of the most significant cultural places on Crete, such as the palace of Knossos, the island of Spinalonga as well as the towns of Heraklion and Ag. Nikolaos, putting it in an ideal location to visit this part of the island.

The airport is located 23km from the hotel, and remarks such as yours in regards to the airplane is not something that we recognize from our guests. While there are several hotels in the vicinity of Royal Mare, we are all very conscious that our guests want a combination of relaxation and entertainment, and we have numerous quiet areas in the hotel, and under no circumstances is loud music played into the early hours of the morning from any hotel in the area.

In regards to our dining, we offer apart from the main restaurant, two restaurants for lunch and three a la carte restaurants for evening a la carte dining. Including as well our Greek, Asian, Fish and Lobster night, we firmly believe that we can cover the taste and palate of the most demanding of our guests. Should in any case, anywhere in our restaurants, a guests not find something to their satisfaction, the Maitre and the Captains are there to assist and help in any way the can.

Mostly however we are surprised by your comments made about our staff in regards to service and attentiveness. The guest relations assisted you with your room change straight away. You yourself mentioned a member of staff that you thought was an “angel”. Our staff is our pride in Royal Mare and the reason that our repeater guests come back to us again and again.

Lastly we would like to state that as a Tourism professional yourself, we would have appreciated mentioning your remarks to us while you were here, as we strongly feel that most, if not all of your remarks, could have been handled to your satisfaction.

We thank you again for your review and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the future

Best Regards

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Arrived in Crete on the 29th September at the Miramare Deluxe Hotel in Ag Nik- we had decided to try a different hotel and a different location - BIG MISTAKE as we got caught by a Secret Escapes 'special' (no wonder this establishment has empty rooms !) - see review elsewhere

Within 24 hours we had enquired if the Royal Mare had any vacancies and they did - we were there like a shot !

Many many thanks to the staff (for our surprise upgrade) as we had not got off to the best start on a holiday we had been looking forward to for 5 wet summer months !!!

We saw some old faces again (Manolis in the restaurant - is there a friendlier and more polite waiter on the island ??) - The Pool Bar and Animation team deserve high praise as well (Vangelis you know who your are)

Food great / room great / a little shy on things to do in the evening - a possible need to get some decent entertainment in the Thalasso (as has been the case in previous visits) ??

All in all - the Royal Mare saved my holiday and I have learnt some valuable lessons - you get what you pay for in this life and the Royal Mare is worth every penny

7  Thank Professor
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We knew a lot about Aldemar Royal mare before the trip. And we have to say now that everything is realy very well: all the services, equipment, rooms, architecture, cusine, stuff, spa and etc.

We lived in VIP-sharing pool room. It was very quite, with our own nice pool. The hotel had made a surprise for us right after check-in: 2 bottles of wine with a dasket of fruits and welcome post-card were in our room. And also a bottle of champagne with flowers and congratulations with wedding aniversary from Guest relations managers. Even more, next morning room-sevice bring us a present from sou-chief Sophia - beautiful & very delicious chocolate desert with fruits. it was so nice!

We had breakfast in "Candia" gourmet-restaurant. The staff and chief provide there well-cooked light dishes, sweeties, fresh-squized juices and many more. And the main thing in "Candia" is high level of service. Our special thanks to Kathie and Sophia!

Every evening we had a dine in "Symposio" main restaurant. And all the time we had a chance to taste new dishes, new world cousine. Big hug & big thahks for this to Executive Chief George Chatzopoulos! And now we already miss for the best waiters team: Fotini, Katerina, Stergios, Vassilis, Gennady - thank you very much for all!!!

By the way we had visit 3 special nights: Lobster night, Fish Night, and Cabdle light night. And every night was realy special: delicious dishes, nice music, pretty peoply, quite atmosphere, well service... We truly recommend it!

A few words about accomodation. The room was enough big. Chambermaids cleaned it twice a day, and everyday change our towels, give us new bath cosmetcs, fruits, sugar, chocolate, water, milk, coffee and tea.And every time they did with a nice smiles.

We also must say that hotel has very big area and all it is in good condition, very beutiful, quite, romantic...
We had 10 days in real paradise, with funny temper, delicious nutrition, gold sun tan, well services, polite people around us, and more, and more...

We will definitely return to Royal Mare next year. Would you like to go with us?

3  Thank Vasily_and_Olga
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I am a belgian travel agent and together with my husband I spend 11 days at this hotel. I have stayed in lots of 5 star resorts over the world and I can say that this hotel is a good option when going to Crete. Rooms are very clean, private pools are peacefull and lovely, food is very good and fresh and hotel staff are always very polite and friendly. However, I will probably never come back to this hotel again. I feel the hotel management focusses too much on Russian and eastern european guests. Somebody of the hotel staff told me that 90 to 95% (!) of the guests are from Russia, Ukraine and Latvia. Almost the entire hotel staff speaks Russian (reception, restaurant and animation team staff) and the magazine offered by the hotel in your room with info on the region is in Russian and not in English. I understand this part of the market is very important for hotels, but the focus was too much on these nationalities and not on western european guests.

Room Tip: Go for the VIP room with private pool access.
3  Thank SofieBernaert
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We came here looking for a laid back beach holiday and a reasonably priced hotel, we weren't disappointed. It was exactly as we expected it, the hotel is very clean and tidy with a great maid service. The pools are well looked after and the hotel looks great.. The gym is brilliant, the best I have ever seen in any hotel. I'm a keen rugby player, so this was very important to me.

I don't really have any negatives, the food was ok and exactly what you would expect for a buffet. If you go with a sense of realism you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect Michelin star quisine at a hotel that serves thousands of meals to guests from around the world within a 2 - 3 hour time period... Lunches are expensive if you are half board, and be aware that you pay for your drinks at dinner.

The hotel beach is very small, so you are better off driving to the beach just passed malia. If you take the sign for sun beach but drive passed it, to the the archeological site and find the beach at the end of that road, it's not too touristy!

Lastly if you are a Brit, you are very much in the minority, but that's not always a bad thing! They also seem to have a very good kids club from what we could see, but they might come back speaking Russian.

Oh and lastly it was my birthday while we were out there. On the day we came back home from the beach we found a nice birthday cake and card waiting for me, this was a really nice touch which we appreciated..

All in all a good stay, but do hire a car and get out as well.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RugbyguyJD
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were assigned a room in the 1000 block, which has its private pool - beautiful and peaceful.
We also tried the other public pools, which were also very nice and quiet.
The food is incredible – everything we've tasted was excellent, and believe me, we've tasted almost everything.
If I want to nitpick, the shower and bath were not sealed properly, so the water leaked outside into the shower room, but it wasn't such a big deal, and did not diminish our experience.
In short – we loved it, and will be happy to return again next time we're in Crete :-)

Room Tip: Rooms in the 1000 block
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marina G
Nitsa3, General Manager at Aldemar Royal Mare Thalasso Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.
We always appreciate comments from our guests as your experience is the most importamt reward we can have. We wish you all the best and hope to see you again soon!

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We spent three weeks in Aldemar Royal Mare Hotel and enjoyed every day. Every member of the staff (no exceptions!) really was so nice and caring that we soon felt at home with friends. The resort was all spick and span and the various thalasso treatments very professional and well organised. Food was from the region, i.e. all fresh, and with a great variety. Animation was offered (there is also a kid’s club) but the various activities (like tennis, Pilates/stretching, gymnastics in the pool) were by no means irritating. The beach has 10 to 15 meters of sand, at the shoreline and in the water, however, there are rocks which require a bit of caution when going for a swim in the crystal clear water. The immediate surroundings of Royal Mare are not that interesting, meaning that for excursions you need a car. We only have best memories of this very relaxing time and we’ll come again.

Room Tip: for us room no's 952 to 955 offer the best value for money

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your positive review of your experience in Royal Mare. Our guests positive experience are of outmost importance. We particularly appreciate your comments about our staff, since they are the ones that make the difference and make our repeater guests come back again and again.

We thank you again for taking the time to write a review and to welcome you back to Royal Mare again soon!

Yours Sincerely,