Hersonissos Palace Hotel
Creta Blue Suites(Koutouloufari)(Great Value!)
$122
$92
  • Breakfast included
Creta Maris Beach Resort(Hersonissos)
$174
$277
$260
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Village Heights Golf Resort(Hersonissos)(Great Value!)
$29
$280
$173
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe main blockbbq nighttour operatorgreat holidaysoft drinksgreek nightall inclusive dealincluded in the all inclusivefresh towelscleaned every daymain pooltable tennisbeach barmeal timescleaned dailyplenty of sunbedsjust returned from a week
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I travelled with my family (Mum, Dad and brother) on the 12th August til the 19th of August. We were all inclusive and stayed in the main hotel block.

First off, I just wanna say we go to an all inclusive summer resort every Summer, so I've experienced a multitude of different hotels and how good they are.

When we arrived at the hotel... Well we didn't exactly arrive right there - the coach dropped us at the end of the road so we had to walk to the hotel. This proved to be quite difficult as there were no signs and we had to guess which one that it was. When we finally got there, we weren't sure quite where we were going as we kind of entered through a back-door, so we didn't know if we were going through the right place. (Reception was up a huge flight of stairs at the front, so we went in the back door type thing and used the lift). When arriving at Reception, the man at reception was very kind and quick, gave us our wristbands and rooms straight away. We did book two rooms... But were given one room with two bedrooms - which I guess was good enough for us. He then told us we could come back down for some food, which was great baring in mind it was nearly 1am! He brought a huge plate of food each for us with meats, salad, cheeses on etc in the restaurant which was brilliant. In the morning we received a note through the door; this told us that we will be moving to two rooms in which we booked. (They'd obviously messed up the rooms when somebody else was meant to have this one). This made me extremely happy nonetheless!

So we now had a room each, one for my Mum and Dad and one for me and my brother, which was much more convenient. The hotel is portrayed to be 5* and 4* on various websites and on their own website. This is most definitely not true - as the double room we were given was petty and small, with a small balcony and bathroom. This was perfectly adequate for me and there was nothing at all wrong with it - but however, it should definitely not be advertised as a 5*. The rooms contained basic things like a hairdryer, hangers, fridge and stuff, but would be nice if there was a kettle - as there would if it was 5*! The walls were also very, very thin - you can hear everything and anything going on next door, outside etc. This didn't bother me or my brother one bit and it never has but if it does you may want to think about it! Anyway, the room was absolutely fine, extremely clean (like the rest of the hotel) and cleaned every single day by the maids which was amazing. The rest of the hotel was also not exactly 5* or some not even 4*, reception is definitely a high point - it's huge with loads of comfy sofas and places to sit; there's even another bar in there. Walking around, i'd find that it was quite dated though, with cracks in walls and things like that. It was a bit plain and definitely not to an extremely high standard. There is also free wi-fi... which doesn't always work due to lots of people using it at the same time. I could also get it from my balcony mostly at night it worked - which was really convenient! (room 434)

There are 3 pools in the hotel. One of which we used, which was the main one next to the bar. There was never ever fighting over sunbeds and getting up early to put on towels here as there were PLENTY of sunbeds all stacked up around the pool, one for everybody to use and enough amount of space for people to go where they wanted. The parasols were fixed though, so if you wanted one you had to be there before anyone else got there! There was other shade available though. The bar is literally right next to the pool and sunbeds so that made everything a lot easier! There was one indoor pool and one pool up higher, up some stairs next to the main pool (a lot of people were there too). This may sound silly, but I and others did find the pool water a little cold, even with the sun blazing down on me! The pool was an adequate size and would never get too overcrowded. One thing that annoyed my family an I extremely, was the fact you were only allowed ice-cream as a snack if you were under 11 and at a set time, which is absolutely pathetic and very stingy. Also, there were no snacks available throughout the day which is even worse if you miss breakfast, only a TINY piece of cake which you have to ASK for at the bar which makes you feel like you can't go back for more. They'd probably say no anyway. They definitely need some kind of snack bar type thing where people can get what they would like without having to feel like a bother. This was rubbish, because on most holidays they do have snack bars and this just felt like we were being conned a bit.

Next i'll talk about the restaurant, it was a good size and we never had to que to get in there, we always got a table. At breakfast, lunch and dinner there was always a good amount and range of food put out (not HUGE) but we'd always find something we'd like each time. The food always got replenished when the trays were finished too, which was extremely good! The food was of an adequate quality and I thoroughly enjoyed it and miss it now! I can't really fault anything. The waitresses and waiters were also the nicest in the restaurant, they made an effort to talk to you and remember you and were just lovely. ESPECIALLY ANNA! She was just amazing, she smiled at everyone, was always happy and just genuinely a really lovely woman, things like that just make your holiday, she deserves praise!

The location of the hotel is also great, it's not on a hill, it's a tiny walk away from the beach and from the massive ongoing strip of shops, bars, clubs and restaurants! This is great as at night the hotel did not have any entertainment... apart from karaoke and one quick changing show. You could book at other sister hotels but it cost stupid prices and was just ridiculous which was another downfall. But nightlife is close so if you were bored at night you could just pop out without a massive walk or anything. Malia is also about 10 minutes away in a taxi. I'd also like to point out there were quite a number of children staying here, and nobody to entertain them and keep them happy like an animation team which also let the hotel down. The hotel also has a pool table, table tennis table and a small gym available.

We didn't say in the 'Annex' or whatever it's called but it is COMPLETELY adequate and fine. We met friends in the hotel which were staying there and used their room on the day of our departure to shower etc and the room was basically just the same as our one which was in the hotel. Maybe it was a little smaller but perfectly fine, with the same facilities! The block also had it's own poor and kind of reception area... So I have no idea what people's problems about it are. It's a tiny walk to the hotel and if it's cheaper - definitely choose it I say!

At the end of our stay, we had to be out of our room by 12am, but you could pay 30 euros to stay til 6pm I think it was, which was quite good. We were allowed to have breakfast and lunch, not dinner... Which was strange as we arrived late and did not have any meals whatsoever. All inclusive for us had to finish at 2pm apparently, we had our bands cut off at 12am when we checked out (we've never had to do this before, I thought it was extremely stingy and that we weren't getting what my parents paid for) but got these cards which allowed us to show the barmen and waiters that we could have all inclusive til then, as they obviously all talk to each other about who's leaving etc. (I also didn't like that idea).

All in all, I had a nice holiday (it wasn't nearly as good as some of the 4* or even 3* all inclusive hotels I've been to and needs improving) but it wasn't bad at all and I would return to this resort. I wish you could give halfs when you review, because i'd give it 3.5/5.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hollyxthomas
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear guests,
We would like to thank you for your review and we are glad that finally you were happy with your holidays.
We always do our best to serve our guests some cold snack upon their late arrival as they miss not only lunch but also dinner. And we also very much suggest if you are arriving late at night, please let us know so we could take a good care of you and serve you late meal.
Further, more regarding choice of all inclusive and its limitations. Every hotel as well as every company, organization or any other business have program/ working hours/ products or services that are according to standards set inside the company. As a result our hotel provides services within according hours and certain quantities for certain amount of people.
In addition, as hotel is situated in the centre of the city, our main attraction and offer for our guests is the area around with all the attractions and entertainment. Unfortunately our territory does not allow us to offer intensive animation neither for guests, nor for children.
Finally we are happy you are satisfied and a bit sad as you did not experience what you really expected due to lack of information about our hotel and services.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

.. a party of us have recently returned from this hotel. After such a good time last year once again we had a fantastic relaxing time. What is there not to like about this hotel - all inclusive, friendly staff, 3 pools (inc. indoor one underneath hotel), two bars, good selection of food, evening entertainments, rooms cleaned and linen changed daily.

Some reviews and complaints about the hotel tend to be about the promo rooms in a separate block - these are quite a bit cheaper but the main hotel facilities are still available. I prefer the main hotel you pay a bit more but you get a better room experience (tv, air con, fridge, balcony etc) .... you get what you pay for!

Unfortunately, people expect a lot from these promo rooms and try for an upgrade relocation in the main hotel but when the hotel is full ....

We will be hoping to go back again next year to see the friendly staff again!

Room Tip: Promo rooms cheap and cheerful - go for the main hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank droidsoupfan
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Repeater,
We will expect you next year and we promise you next time your stay to be more pleasant than previous times.
We are planning to proceed to some changes concerning the buildings and the services and we hope next time you will experience something new. All good things, as employees, I know some of them contribute to your stay to be more enjoyable, will remain the same, (hopefully), and we will try to improve some other things by taking in considerations your feedback and proposals.
The nice comments at this time of the year are like refilling the engine to go further to the top, concerning the quality of our job.

The positive things about Hersonissos Palace, Crete are:
The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. Nothing is too much trouble
The food is FANTASTIC!
No fighting for sunbeds - there are plenty; however, you have to be early if you want a good spot near a parasol as they are fixed!
The place is kept clean and your room/apt is serviced every day
The location is very close to the beach.
Less positive - even the main block is not really 5* but closer to 3.5*
Guests we met who were staying in the main block told us the noise from other guests at night was quite intrusive.
If you are accommodated in the Annex (I can only speak for Aris Apts) the furniture is very dated, The beds are not exactly the epitome of comfort
It's a little walk at mealtimes to the restaurant & main pool
The shower is so small the shower curtain sticks to you while you're in the shower.
On the positive side of Aris Apts
There's a little fridge, a table & chairs, a sink and some v. basic cutlery/crockery for use.
The WiFi is much faster than that in the main block.
It's even closer to the beach than the main block.
So... if you just want a 'crash pad' and you didn't pay top dollar, Aris Apts is adequate, but if you were expecting to stay in the main block you would be vey disappointed. At this point I must make mention of Ms Fotini the Hotel Manager. She is extremely sincere, very helpful and a consummate professional. For a fee she will do her utmost best to relocate you to the main block as soon as she possibly can if that's what you want.
When you book, the tour operators will try to sell you the Round of House, Promo Room or Annex as these are cheaper. We paid an extra £100 pp to stay in the main building; however, on arrival the reception staff pointed out to us in very very small writing and greyer print than the rest of the text, the term Round of House. This meant that even though we had paid an extra £300 altogether, we were accommodated in the Annex.
I am at pains to point out that this was NOT the hotel's fault, but the Tour Operator's guile. Whilst there we encountered no fewer than 5 other groups who had run into the identical problem with their Tour Operators, i.e,. assured accommodation in the main block, but placed elsewhere.
Would we return to Hersonissos Palace? Absolutely... My sisters & I had a great week and I'm probably going to take my family back there next year!

Room Tip: Make ABSOLUTELY sure you check your paperwork when it arrives from the Travel Agents. If the terms "Promo Rooms" "Annex" "Round of House or Round House" are mentioned anywhere at all BEWARE! You will NOT be accommodated in the main building (particularly in High Season!)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Junicko44

Thank you for your review; it is a review that can assist the travelers to choose correctly their accommodation and their room.
You used the trip advisor site as an experienced traveler by putting detailed all the information that I, as a hotel representative, should provide to all of our potential guests.
I would kindly ask the readers to review once again your experience and be advised about all the extra information you provide so their holidays will be as they expect upon arrival and not after one day and long conversations and explanations.
As I mentioned in previous reviews we are happy that we can inform our guests that partly renovation has been scheduled at the end of the year and daily we already have started to proceed to small but necessary refurbishment. Our daily menus are constantly updated and we work very hard our customer service to be in top quality status.
Although it might be a bit unprofessional to emphasize comments about a specific employee on the other hand we have to admit that your nice comments give power and strength to all of us to work harder and more effective so we could reach high quality standards.
We are expecting you next year ready to provide you with better experience.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

what a great time we had again.8 of us went again and what a ball we had.this hotel actually gets better.the food,the staff,the management.there all faultless.it has 2 lovely pools with beautiful flowers to compliment the areas.the rooms are cleaned daily and you get clean bed linen too.they have aircon,tvs and mini fridges.the bbq night is megga.dont miss it.the karaoke is new.you must join in though...no singers no fun.greek nights are wonderful.greek dancers and singers.very traditional.the hotel is a short walk from the beach with the nitelife just round the corner.all in all a great place to stay for an amazing holiday.cant wait to come back.thanx the palace for giving us such special memories

Room Tip: pool rooms are amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ben m

Dear Guests,
We would like to ensure you that we constantly try to improve ourselves.
We would like to be able to provide to new guests but also to our repeaters better impression, more memories and finally to create a strong relation between the hotel and the guests. It is an honor the travelers to chose Hersonisso Palce for the holidays and it even great honor guest to return back.
It is our responsibility to get better to any points we consider we can be developed and based to your feed back we always try to be adapted to the points it is necessary.
Daily our management team works hard to create a better and more beautiful atmosphere and constantly supervise all of our employees so we could be able to meet a high standard of customer service.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We predicted much better hotel then we got. First of all, annex rooms are very strange - they gave us something like appartments with separate beds mounted to floor - have never seen so strange stuff. The furniture looked very old, the sanitaries were dirty and old too.

As we came in deep night after flight delay had no wish to solve this problem and waited morning. At mornig some additional money helped us to move to main building which was better.

But the problems with furniture and quality of room facilities were still not a 4 or 5 star (have seen the difference). And the great trouble is soundproofing - you will hear everything on your floor and next floor, especially in night, when some laughing companies return from night adventures.

The good things were:
1) A very good cusine on all-inclusive. Their chef is really cool. Thank's a lot!
2) The stuff is friendly and helpful, they are ready to help you in any situation, and they try to keep the territory and rooms clean and fresh.

As a result I think If they will say they are the hotel of 3.5 stars - it would be more honestly and generally better.

Room Tip: NEVER book annex. Just NEVER. annex rooms are impossible. And try to get rooms to second pool, not the main - much more silent.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aagr
fotini28, Public Relations Manager at Hersonissos Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guests,
We would like to thank you for your feedback and apologize that we did not fully manage to meet your expectations.
We are always very willing to assist all guests but unfortunately some times that seems to be impossible.
We believe that guests must be completely informed and provided with all accurate information concerning the hotel, the service and the room type before arrival. We would like all guests to have the expectations we are able to meet.
Many things contribute in that; accurate information, correct descriptions, and very important the value of money must be taken always in consideration.
Concerning your case we are able to confirm you that your reservation was for annex block You were informed about your room type that means you were not surprised when the hotel and furthermore your tour operator informed you that in case of hotel availability,it would be an extra cost. The unpleasant situation was solved the soonest by the tour operator’s and hotel’s assistance.
In that point we would like once again to inform the new readers that it is not always possible to amend room types on the spot. Potential guests should choose the room they expected before arrival. The extra revenue that is paid to the hotel through the tour operator is less important comparing to a satisfied guest upon arrival.
We are always ready to assist and meet the guests’ expectations and we always put all of our effort.
Also we would like to inform you that all feedback about annex block has been taken very seriously in consideration and we are able to ensure that already annex renovation has been scheduled to start at the end of the season.
There are already in progress small but important interventions all over the hotel especially in annex block.