“Great resort”

Creta Maris Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 173 Hotels in Hersonissos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed in a garden view bungalow(room 851) from 15th June for two weeks. On arrival check in was very speedy and we were taken to our bungalow via a buggy. The room was very spacious with plenty of wardrobe space & dressing area, a nice size bathroom then down two steps to the sleeping area which also had a table & chairs & a sofa. Tea & coffee making facilities available in the room, also a hairdryer & should you need it an iron & ironing board.The cleaners were very efficient, our room was cleaned same time every day, with clean sheets & towels changed daily. The balcony was huge, it also had a table & chairs and two sun loungers.

As mentionioned in other reviews there are three Al a carte restaurants the Limoncello Italian, Pithos Greek & Cochlias which can be booked three times per week during your stay, which I have to say we had no problem whatsoever. We preferred the Cochlias which was BBQ night, there is also a fish night at this restaurant after eating there is Greek music and dancing. We did try the Limoncello but were disappointed, you can book for 6.30 sitting or 8.30pm. We chose the 8.30 but found the service very slow, people that we met had booked the 6.30 and had found it rushed. The main restaurant is the Cosmos, Friday is Gala Night with fine dining. The Almyra is more kebab style lunchtime dining area, also you can get a late breakfast at this restaurant, also ice cream available between 11-12 and 4 & 5pm. Overall the food was of a high standard, there is something for everyone. If you're on a diet forget it, the desserts are amazing I recommend the Baklava & Kataifi very yummy. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the white wine on tap in the Cosmos. I am not a fussy eater but I do expect good quality food, I can find nothing to complain about and in the two weeks neither me or my partner had any tummy upsets - this I feel speaks volumes.

I can't really comment on the entertainment as we didn't go along to any of the organised events. We spent most evenings sat in the Romantic bar chatting with friends we made there. It was dissappointing that there was no background music of any kind. It wasn't until the morning we were leaving that we were sat here having a coffee and I noticed Greek music was being played. If only this had been the case in the evenings it would have provided much more atmosphere.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Erika from the animation team came for a chat every morning, and even though we couldn't be persuaded to be energetic and join her water arobics it didn't change her friendly attitude. I cannot say the same for Georgina also from the animation team who I and a number of other guests found to be arrogant and rude.

We spent most of our days lazing around the Steki bar and pool area. The Steki bar is run by a lovely Greek lady her name is Popi. What can I say about Popi, she is hard working, polite very sociable and funny. Nothing is too much trouble for her, and if she can do anything to help she will. When we first met Popi we were guests, when we left we were freinds and intend to stay in touch.

The only gripe I have is that the crazy paving along the walkways are made up of slate in places, and can be very slippery, I cannot imagine how dangerous it could be if it rained. Still that was not a problem for us as it was blue skies for the whole fortnight.

Room Tip: Room 851 was very quiet as away from main hotel
2  Thank BidefordBuddy
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you had a nice stay at Creta Maris and enjoyed our facilities. We hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We returned to the "sandpit" (Doha, Qatar) last night after 10 wonderful days in Crete. We 3 think that the Creta Maris Resort was a really good place to stay. We selected a "sea-view renovated bungalow". The room was LOVELY but we traveled with a 3 year old (still using a stroller/buggy for various situations) and it was upstairs (many stairs) to get to the door. Also, the balcony over the Bungalow Pool was so tiny that a small table and two chairs took up the entire patio. Two of us could not sit at the table and 3 of us was impossible (even with our tiny child). We asked for a ground floor room prior to our stay and had a lovely professional back-and-forth email discussion of our needs months before....and still we got this room. We asked to move and were told that the resort was full (hard to believe) but, were offered one room that was totally horrible and then a few nights later another room (also on the second floor). On a 10-day holiday it is hard to repack and move, but we would have if they had tried to accommodate us with what we needed. That was a bummer, but it did not put a damper on our stay at all. (not to say I am still not really bugged!!)

The renovated rooms are very nice, clean, and kept clean during the stay. There is a coffee maker in the room - and a hair dryer in the bathroom (along with a magnifying mirror) (Women need to know this stuff). Our room had plenty of closet space for the two of us (the one room we were shown had HALF the space) All rooms in the resort appear to be different from the next room. I imagine that this alone makes it difficult to assign a room to a particular family with any ease.

Ok - the food - it was fine. The main buffet for breakfast was full of whatever you might like. They did make me eggs that weren't floating in oil after I realized I could ask for a special order. (I didn't realize this until nearly the last of the trip - oh well :( ) Bacon - not crispy like Americans like, but the floppy half-cooked kind. I imagine that a special crispy order could have also been made.... :) Anyway - for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the main buffest was fairly good. I never liked the selection of meat as it was all quite fatty (cheap cuts), but the fish was excellent and the chicken as well.

The trick - the morning after you arrive RUN to the reception area (the hubby's job) by about 7 am and make reservations for the FOLLOWING night at one of the ala carte restaurants. This means the first night you WILL try the main buffet. EACH morning try a different restaurant and sample them all. We really liked Cochlias by the sea which has a daily theme - check to make sure (as if you chose a Friday and hate seafood the party is over). *** another tick - if you are having a late arrival - send an email and you will find they will arrange a late dinner for you at Pithos - we enjoyed that the evening we arrived and went again but were kind of disappointed. (Cochalias was our definite favorite). Limoncello was our final try and honestly although we read some good reviews on that one - we would GIVE IT A MISS. It was windy and the inside was not open - the service was really POOR (reservations at 630 and at nearly 700 pm everyone that had arrived at 630 were still sitting in the wind, without a glass of wine or any drinks....) I asked 3-4 times for a high chair and was brought one for an infant (our skinny gal wouldn't fit) and then had to actually get up and go ask for the manager to get one, as well as ask where the wine was! They definitely need a little management at that restaurant.....but, overall the dining was fine, and the Cochalias was fun, friendly and had excellent service.

The pools were everywhere - we didn't even get to try them all. The slide pool was only located on our final day but the rule there is age 5-15 anyway so our little one would not have been allowed to try it. Nor the kids club - age 4 and up.

The main pool is where we spent most of our time, and although saving loungers is NOT allowed everyone does it and you MUST or put out yours towels before breakfast or you won't get the location you want - or maybe not one at all. It was crowded but enjoyable. The music was loud at times, but they do seem to have an idea of when to have it louder and when people might be napping or just wanting to chill out.

The beach was nice - the water clean and the beach clean. We spent some time on the beach too....and it was nice.

The drinks were fine - the wine was simple but decent. The GREEK DOCTOR (made for Ouzo YUM YUM) was excellent :) The BIGGEST complaint we have on the drinks is the CHEAP LOUSY "TANG" type of juice used everywhere. YUCK and CHEAP and definitely a VERY POOR and CHEAP choice. Fresh juice is just something they don't do.....and believe me I read this before we went and I was still shocked by it! HORRIBLE choice made by someone that is only interested in the bottom line (money). Needs review!!!!

Venture out of the resort to the town....the marina....the restaurants, shopping and just enjoy the area as well......it was fun and a bit "spring break" feeling but not too bad - then, happily go back to your resort. If you are in your early 20's you might have wished you'd stayed in town - but if you're out of uni.....you'll be glad you didn't!

Enjoy! We did like it a lot - but have only one last suggestion - a day trip to Santorini is really a bad idea - lol It was long, hot, crowded, and just not worth the money spent (not to mention a seasick little one on the boat back for 2 1/2 hours...) Go there another time if you like - but it isn't a day trip that you'll love.....

Room Tip: we loved the renovated bungalow but if money IS an object I can tell you that the resort is lovely e...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debbie T

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you had a nice stay at Creta Maris and enjoyed our facilities. We are sorry we could not accommodate your need concerning the room but most sea view bungalows are located on an upper floor and the resort was running with very high occupancies during June. Moreover, concerning the juices served at the breakfast room we would like to let you know that are local branded quality juices and definitely not cheap. All bars though serve fresh squeezed orange juice on an extra cost. We hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

I won't repeat what others have said about spotless hotel, lots of sunbeds, staff very pleasant overall we enjoyed our stay. The only two issues are there was no accommodation for us on arrival so we were offered upgrade to a suite for two nights the view was great but certainly not what I call a suite ! i imagined luxury and opulence Stacy the rep negotiated free late check out as compensatipn so no real gripe. My issue was only being able to use the al a carte restaurants once per stay I don't think this is clearly stated in the Thomas cook brochure . We don't like the buffets for our evening meal so waked into the resort to eat on 3 occasions which was lovely. All in all was good but do agree not 5 star.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank HarrisCardiff

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you have enjoyed your stay at Creta Maris even though we have not reached your expectations. A la carte restaurants may be visited three times per week (once in every a la carte). Moreover, there are some extra a la carte nights at Cochlias restaurant with a special lobster menu for which you need to pay an extra fee. We hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed, all inclusive, the last two weeks of May 2013. This is a large, well-staffed, resort and service was friendly and efficient. The public areas were always kept clean and tidy. We even watched the staff sweep the large sandy private beach from the main dining room in the morning.

Accommodation: I was impressed to see that our Bungalow Room, with a garden view, was larger than I expected. The massive hallway (a separate room) included a desk and a huge storage unit. The sheets were changed every other day.

Dining: There was plenty of seating in the sea view main restaurant, the lunch restaurant by the pool filled up too quickly so we ate most of our meals in the Cosmos DR. There was plenty of meal choices. We would have preferred more chicken; there were always a numerous number of fish dishes. We tried several A La Carte Restaurants and found the service good but meal choices limited.

Bars: We enjoyed, cocktails, beer, spirits, of all kinds; service was always friendly and fast. We spent our time in the Romantic Bar in the Maris Bldg. (closed 24:00) and the Beach Bar.

Leisure Activities: I enjoyed a good workouts at the gym (2 rooms), it was staffed, but bring 5 Euro. Indulged in a pampered afternoon at the Spa, and then had my hair styled at the on-sight Hairdressers.

Night Entertainment: Wednesday and Saturday the resort offered professional shows in the Disco. We always looked forward to an impressive show from each group.

Tours: There are many excursion companies along the main drag just up from the resort, even day excursions to Balos Lagood and Elafonisi Beach.

Do not use Sparrow Travel in Hersonissos. This company ripped us off. They only gave us 10 minutes at Vai Beach and then dragged us off to a rocky beach and we had to eat at dirty roadside café. I was so upset, they wasted 12 hours of my precious holiday.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theadventure

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy you had a wonderful time during your holidays at Creta Maris and enjoyed our facilities. We hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Me and my girlfriend just came back from a vacation in Creta Maris Beach Resort (27-30.06.2013), We stayed in the garden view bungalow.
First of all, everyone were very friendly and helpful, from the doorman that takes your luggage when you arrive to the hotel, till the animation team and the bartenders - we really got a worm and friendly feeling that we are more then welcome.
Second, the location of the hotel is great - 2 minute walk to the town.
All the hotel facilities - the pool, the private beach, the restaurants, the lobby and etc. were very clean and comfortable.
The food and alcohol (it's all inclusive) are really good, in the main restaurant, and in the other "la catra" restaurants.
Last but not least, even when we checked out, we stayed in the hotel and got all the service, including meals and drinks like we're still the hotel guests (our flight was at 00:40).
We would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the bungalow, and it was a really nice room - quiet, big and comfortable.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback. We are very happy you enjoyed your holidays at Creta Maris. We really hope to accommodate you again very soon in the future!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were very disappointed with this hotel which is definitely not a 5 star!!

The food was awful, warm at best but usually cold! Same thing every night. The BBQ restaurant was lovely but again the food had been prepared and was left to go cold before we could go up to the buffet!! Making a reservation in the a la carte restaurants was a pain, I got up early to stand in line for 45 minutes one morning only to be told by a smirking member of staff that they were fully booked!! I later went to the customer relations desk and was able to book in no problem?? However we were never told we could do this just told to wait in line at breakfast!!

The food was so bad we were both ill with diarrhoea which for me led to dehydration and a costly visit to the doctor!! After said visit we had to phone our travel insurance company back in the uk and front desk staff were unwilling to let us use the phone but expected us to use the room phone at a huge cost! Considering this hotel is meant to be 5 star you might expect bottled water to be provided as part of all inclusive, wrong! We had to purchase this.

The room and pools were clean and nice looking. In the restaurant however as I was at the buffet my partner noticed a waiter placing a dirty knife on our table, on noticing it was dirty he quickly turned the knife over to the clean side rather than just swap it for a clean one?! Disgusting!

The evening entertainment was awful! It ranged from cheesy games to x rated dancing! The dancers were wearing bras and thongs, gyrating in front of the kids sat by the stage! At one point a female dancer actually brought a chair onto the stage and dragged a man up from the audience for a lap dance! We saw couples with children getting up to leave. Also there was very little information about the entertainment posted around the hotel and when we asked the front desk although they were pleasant they were clueless!!

We will never return to the hotel and wouldn't dream of recommending it to others!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Alsar119
Creta_Maris, Marketing & PR Manager at Creta Maris Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry we have not met your expectations during your stay. We would like though to mention some facts concerning the issues stated in your commentary. All our restaurants are certified by TUV Austria following the international standards of HACCP health & safety guidelines. Additionally we keep a great file with laboratory tests that we run on a monthly basis of all ingredients used in our kitchens. Similarly, the tub water freely provided in all restaurants and bars is produced directly on site through reverse osmosis and filtration, and regularly checked by laboratory tests. If a guest does not wish to drink tub water, bottled water is also provided on an extra charge. Moreover, all our buffets are offering a great variety of food on a specific temperature. If a guests wishe an even warmer dish they can ask from the staff to assist them. Lastly, the resort offers children’s entertainment (Mini club, mini disco, etc.) and adults’ entertainment on a later hour. Brazilian show is included in the adults’ entertainment program and as stated in the promotional posters around the resort is a classic but original Brazilian dancing show. The collaborators performing this show are professional dancers and nor x rated. Of course it is always on the parents’ jurisdiction to decide whether or not to let their children attend the show. To conclude, we wish you have mentioned something on our staff while you were in the resort so that we could have done our best to ameliorate your stay. We hope to have another chance in the future accommodating you, providing a better hospitality to you and your partner.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We just spent two absolutely wonderful weeks at Creta Maris, leaving there on the evening of 25th June.
The friendliness and helpfulness at this hotel are second to none. Prior to booking with Thomas Cook, there were a couple of things I was unclear about, so I emailed the hotel direct, a prompt friendly reply from Mrs. Titaki, answering my questions, confirmed that this was a hotel to visit. A further email enquiry following our booking received the same helpful response from her.

We had a lovely welcome on arrival and check-in was swift and easy. We were shown to our room and our cases taken by a member of staff who pointed out how to use the air con and etc. Reception always seemed to be well staffed and there never seemed to be a queue, there was a separate dedicated guest advice desk also in the lobby.
The only problem we encountered at the hotel, was that our digital room safe did not work when we arrived. Within a day a replacement was found and in the meantime we were able to put our “valuables” in a safety deposit box behind reception. We were very satisfied by the way this was handled.

We paid extra for a sea view room and felt it worth the money. We were in the Maris building (room 347) and had a wonderful view over the bay, the only sound being that of the sea! The room was very comfortable with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. The bathroom was modern with an efficient shower over the bath, with hairdryers and magnifying mirrors both in the bathroom and by the dressing table. We usually take a travel clothes line and pegs and have generally managed to arrange it in the balcony area to dry swimsuits, but there was a clothes line across the bath, a handy addition, so it wasn’t needed. The room was spotless and cleaned to a high standard each day, indeed the whole hotel has an air of cleanliness. The air con was efficient and silent, the bed and pillows were comfortable, and there was even a plug-in mozzie killer, with spare pads.

The guide books state that tap water can be drunk in Crete, however the Rep advised against. A large bottle of water was provided in the little fridge and this can be refilled at water stations either in the restaurants or at the bars. We actually saved the two bottles of water (empty). which we had purchased in the departure lounge and refilled them instead. This was just for drinking, we used the tap water when cleaning our teeth, a sign on the bathroom mirror did state that the tap water could be drunk.

In the two weeks we were able to reserve a table once, at each of the three restaurants, Limoncello, Pithos and Cochlias. These are part of the all-inclusive package. We had wonderful meals at the first two of these but did not visit Cochlias. Tables should be booked the day before; we did this with ease at reception before breakfast.
As we were in the Maris Building we took breakfast and dinner there, staff were most helpful and if not busy would stop to chat for a few minutes. We found a large variety to choose from the buffets, catering for all tastes. The salad choice was excellent and it was lovely to try vegetables cooked in different ways, the use of herbs was most evident. Meats were coked in view and were delicious. The desserts were my downfall, as they were so tempting, flavoured ice creams were also available. There is a sign outside the entrance to the restaurant regarding a dress code, requesting that guests do not come into the restaurants in the evening in shorts, but this is not enforced of course and some seem to have come in straight from the beach. It is a shame as we like to dress up a bit when eating out and felt at times out of place. Some guests seemed to make an effort, which was good.

There are 7 pools around the resort. We avoided the Spira and Main pool as they were so busy and had loud music playing. The Terra Building Pool was quieter with sunbeds in abundance. Our choice pool however, was the Pithos Pool, smallish but quiet and seemed the most popular with couples or those with babies. Indeed the entry of a noisy family on occasion was frowned on, though these seemed to stay only a short time and headed off, possibly for a siesta after lunch. The resort did get busier with families in the second week.
As this pool was in the vicinity or the Terra Building, this was where we had our lunch. All the staff in the restaurants do their utmost for everyone. They kept their patience in all circumstances, especially when faced with noisy, unmannered children piling food on their plates.

Again as we were near the Terra, we acquired our drinks during the day from the Kourites Bar. And at this bar is the most outstanding member of staff at Creta Maris, Popi. What a gem she is. Ever smiling, she was efficiency itself. On occasion when there were no others to serve, we asked questions about Crete, but her professionalism kicked in the minute another customer arrived.

The beach has an abundance of sun beds and the sea is crystal clear and we experienced one dip! There are a few rocks to negotiate though and if we had intended spending time in the sea we would have brought the shoes we wore on the reefs when snorkeling in Egypt. It is not a private beach and anyone thinking of sitting on the front row of sunbeds with a clear view of the sea would be disappointed, as from early morning numbers of people staying in other hotels in Hersonissos would arrive with parasols and towels and settle in the short area of sand between the sunbeds and the sea. There is nothing the hotel can do. It did not bother us at all as we did not intend staying on the beach, but it is worth noting all the same.

We understood there was Wi-Fi in the public areas, but were pleasantly surprised to find it was everywhere, by the pool, in the restaurant and even in our room!! A nice change from some hotels, which have charged up to 20 euros an hour, or only provide it free in the lobby.

We booked with Thomas Cook and were met by the hotel Rep. Stacey. The Welcome meeting on the first morning was thankfully short. The info on the trips was a little sparse, but she gave more detail when asked. She gives out the printed info that she has, but it would be helpful if more was included, greater detail for instance of what the trips entailed. We booked two trips. There were two on the list to Knossos, one included Knossos and was entitled Cretan Highlights, which we booked, the other was Knossos and Heraklion. Our second trip was to Spinalonga Island. If you intend to do this trip I suggest you read the Victoria Hislop book, The Island, before you go, it really enhances the visit by giving a lot of the history of the island in the form of a novel, set during the time it was a Leper Colony.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Creta Maris and would recommend it highly. Indeed we have praised it so much, that our daughter and partner are planning to visit next year! Our thanks to all the staff there who made this holiday so wonderful.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of the Maris building in a sea view room with balcony and it was perfect fo...
10  Thank woodie49
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hersonissos
Aldemar Knossos Royal
Pilot's Villas Luxury Suites
#1 of 13 in Koutouloufari
Mitsis Laguna Resort & Spa
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Creta Maris Beach Resort? Share your experiences!