“paradise”
Review of Cretan Garden

Cretan Garden
Ranked #16 of 30 Hersonissos B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2012

we came back from creten garden early hours of 4th of august . we booked this holiday with olympic holidays at short notice .our room was very clean overlooking the beautiful gardens pool and the ocean.Although the complex was busy it was very quiet and peaceful. we didnt have to queue for the sunbeds as there are plenty . The family who owned the hotel were so welcoming and extremely hard working often working fifteen hours in the soaring heat . our shower head was was leaking from the sides and the next day they fitted a new one .George was always cleaning the pool and growing the vegetables which were cooked and given to the guests. The food was plentiful and tasty although there was a lot of pork and the dessert choices were poor . Tony was very funny and every evening he had our chosen drinks ready for us before dinner. We met a lovely couple becky and nicki we have became friends and we are going back to creten garden with them next summer god willing . we also had lovely chats with two swiss girls mira and zara very young but very respectable girls who went to creten garden to chill and thats what we all did. Evie was funny and hard working we loved her. connie was great her soft american accent and her pleasant funny expressions always smiling. Mary who is connies mum was like our mum even when she was very tired at the end of the nothing was too much trouble for her. So if your looking for a holiday by the sea quiet clean and plenty of food then we recommend creten garden. ice cream for the children would be nice though included in the all inclusive packages especially in the asweltering heat. the maids worked so hard scrubbing the whole complex from top to bottom six days a week. Fresh towels and loo roll was provided throughout our stay . The bbq was amazing the staff were all involved and you could see the pride in all their faces. there was no entertainment which we liked because you see the families chilling out with their children playing board games and cards which todays families spend their times engrossed in laptops and computor games. there was also a small play garden for the children to play footie tennis and other games. Also there was a pool table in a shaded area by the pool. When nicki and i were sunburnt tony went an cut some fresh aloe vera from the plant outside we put it on our burns and it was instant relief .Tony made funny pumpkins for us and our friends we had a real laugh with them. When we were leaving connie gave us a lift up the slope to meet the coach and tony ran up to say goodbye. sadly we only had a seven night stay there it wasnt enough. We will be back woop woop .jackie and tommy x

Room Tip: request seaview and new wing
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jackie w

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Just got back from a week All Inclusive at the Cretan Garden Hotel. This was our 1st time abroad as a family with 2 children aged 12 and 9yrs. We had an absolute fantastic time and was made to feel part of the family and have already re-booked for next years holiday.
The superior family room we stayed in was beautiful, clean, spacious with lovely sea views from both balcony's. The hotel gardens are very well kept and the pool area is immaculate with plenty of sun loungers for everyone. There is plenty for the children to do besides being in the pool, there is a small park, mini golf and tennis courts to keep them occupied. The Hotel is located in a very quiet picturesque area and if you are looking for total relaxation then this is your place. The All Inclusive times are from 11am until 10:30pm, this includes breakfast, lunch and dinner (beautiful traditional home cooked Greek food with the odd English dishes for the fussy folk lol) Drinks include local beer, red and white whine, ouzo and raki and soft drinks (which is a god send if you have kids).
The beach is a short walk away, approx 5 mins. If you are wanting to visit the busier town of Hersonissos, you could walk there approx 45 mins or a local taxi costs just 7-8 euros.
All the staff at the Cretan Garden Hotel are hard working, friendly people who treat you like one of the family.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a quiet relaxing holiday and also for families with children of all ages.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank bekbek76
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was one of the most relaxing vacations I have ever had! I stayed with my boyfriend at Cretan Garden in June 2012 and we enjoyed every single day. When we arrived, we were firstly offered a family room - but that was too big and it had small windows, so we asked the lady-owner to change it. What we got was a very nice and sunny room, with direct view at seaside and the pool.

The food was delicious, traditional Greek food (I just loved the cucumber with yogurt and the watermelon!). We had half-board, but I truly recommend the all inclusive (the price you pay for the beer adds up to the all inclusive difference!) The family who runs the hotel are very nice, you may ask them anything and they will be pleased to help you.

The hotel is situated in a very quiet area in Anissaras, suitable for family with children and for those who want to relax. If you want to go out and have fun every night, try Hersonissos. If you want a posh vacation, go to Elounda. Anissaras is a small village, very good to get a good night sleep.

If you want to go to Heraklion, you may take the bus - there is a bus stop near buy and it costs a few EUR (4-5, I don't remember exaclty).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rodica T
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My wife and I together with our 1 year old daughter stayed at the Cretan Garden for six nights a couple of weeks ago.

This is a lovely family run hotel, in a quiet, pretty spot in Crete. Close enough to the local town for convenience a (short taxi ride), but far and remote enough from the party scene for those (like us) not interested in that. It is a 5 minute walk to a lovely beach where its easy enough to get sun loungers in the afternoon. If you’re planning to go for the whole day my tip is to buy a cheap beach umbrella and take a picnic blanket – take a short walk left down the beach road and find a quiet area of the beach away from the crowds. Great way to spend the day.

The hotel grounds are very well maintained and the pool is a good size – plenty of loungers there too. If you want to spend a quiet holiday sat around a pool, without sharing with hundreds of others – this is the place for you.

The rooms are Spartan (although upgrades are available) – but perfectly functional. Our room was literally just by the pool and in the shade for most of the day so we found we did not need to hire an air con machine.

Most of the recent disgruntlement on this site appears to relate to the all inclusive meal options. People should appreciate that this is a small hotel which is not going to be able to compete with the big 100 room+ hotels – and I am pretty certain that they are not trying to. They provide good, hearty meals at meal times and drinks that will satisfy most – but perhaps not all according to the reviews below.

We were half board and this worked very well for us. We do not eat meat or chicken, but Connie and her family went out of their way to make sure that we were well fed for our stay. On the BBQ night which they have on Fridays, they laid on a special fish dish for us so we didn’t feel left out.

Evenings and nights are very chilled with guests sitting at the bar doing their own thing.

All the staff were very attentive to the needs of our daughter – they work incredibly hard – but from Connie down to the dinner lady they all made the effort to be very friendly and courteous.

Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank abdulh123
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just back ( today) from a week-long stay. If you want a small hotel, with pleasant and clean rooms, a large pool, set within neatly-tended gardens-yet only a stroll from a good beach, with cloudless skies more or less guaranteed,you won't go too far wrong here. The all inclusive option gave us the opportunity to revisit greek dishes- the tzatsiki was the best I've tasted.It was our first experience of All Inclusive,so unable to compare. Happily there were no pubs, nightclubs or a poolside animation team to detract from a restful holiday.The staff and family were most helpful at all times- from what we could see,coping admirably with the demands spanning several nationalities- even throwing an impromptu birthday party for a young guest.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank David R
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have done may reviews on here and always try to be fair in my criticisms and views, and helpful to others, as I too rely on the reviews to help me decide whether to book or not.. so.. here goes....!! Just returned from a 11 night stay at the Cretan Gardens. We paid extra on booking for a family sea view room rather than a basic room through travelrepublic... On arrival, we were shown off the coach (also booked through travelrepublic) and left on the roadside, the driver was pointing across a field saying "hotel over there!". Well, me and my 2 friends just cracked up laughing, as it was 4.30am in the morning and we had no idea where we were supposed to go! Anyway, we walked down a path, and found the hotel. On arrival, the barman Tony showed us to our room, stating that they had been told there was only 2 of us booked in so the room was made up for 2. I showed him our booking, but he said there was nothing he could do till morning, so we "made do" for that night, The room we were given consisted of a room with a sink, a bathroom and a mortuary slab type bed, and the bedroom had a double room with a balcony, NO aircon, and it was sweltering!! In the morning, we got up around 10.30 in search of something to eat. We were told that we had missed breakfast and would have to wait until lunchtime which was 1pm. I asked if there were any snacks - toasties?? available, we were told we would have to pay for them?! I said we were all inclusive, but were told snacks were not included. Strange but true.. We went to reception to sort out our room with mary (mother), and were told that the room we had been given was the room we had paid for, even though they had only got 2 people booked in. Impossible to argue and I was getting frustrated, we asked for towels and a chair for the 3rd person and these were not brought. I again showed my paperwork, but was told it was correct. We also discovered that All inclusive included breakfast, lunch and dinner, no snacks or icecream, and drinks were local beer, wine, ouzo and soft drinks. Anything else had to be paid for. Vodka and cocktails (which is what we like to drink on holiday) were available at a cost of 5 euros.. Also, if you wanted bottled water for your room, you had to pay for it. The next day I tried to argue the room situation with Connie the daughter but she insisted we got what we had booked, really pointless trying to argue as they were not budging. I again asked for towels, and a chair for the 3rd person, we finally received them late that evening. We had been speaking to lots of other people in the hotel, who were equally upset regarding the all inclusive situation and the rooms, and were told we could go and ask for a room upgrade, at a cost of 15 euros a night, which we did and got, the room was so much different, it was very spacious and had air con, so we were happy with it. The maid service was poor, on two occassions we had to go to reception to ask for toilet rolls, our bed was never made up, nor was the floors mopped. The problem with this is, that the newer rooms are lovely, but over time they are going to get grubby with ground in dirt, and people are going to complain. Tony, the barman, was an odd character, and I sensed some behavoural issues to say the least. Most of the time he was quite pleasant, but there were moments when he flipped. I went to the bar and ordered 2 coffees.. they were stone cold so I went back with them and told him. he looked at me then started to shout at me stating that they would be cold as I had asked for milk in them. What?? I told him they were stone cold! He slammed a glass down then stomped over to me. He began to pour some more then said sorry, I put wrong one in.. totally bizzarre behaviour! I took the coffees back to our table but they were still cold! I gave up. Another day we had been having a drink by the pool which were served in plastic tumblers. We had had a couple of drinks each along with another couple we met, which meant there were around 10 tumblers on the table beside us. Usually we took them to the bar as we were leaving but on this occassion I didnt. I went to the bar, and asked for 2 fantas, then I asked for a beer. Tony told me I have to order all 3 drinks at once... I asked why? He said to save my steps??!! he then shouted at me that I was not allowed any more drinks by the pool because I hadnt taken our cups back! I said what?? he said no more for you! I said "whatever" to which he replied "Im not your slave"!! I was gobsmacked. He was also very suggestive in his comments the the female guests, any conversation was turned by him into a sexual nature, but I just ignored him. Lots of other people commented on this too. The food at the hotel was good greek home cooking but wasnt wow. Even though it was very tasty, it was just basic home cooking, made by a good cook who was able to create dishes with limited and cheap cuts of meat. We found that you also had to go for the meals as soon as it opened, otherwise there was only scraps left and it was cold, none of the food served was hot, as they failed to make use of the warmers to keep the food hot, probably to keep costs down. Desserts were poor, consisting of some sort of cake and always watermelon. |The dining times were very strict and limited. Tables were not set, and you had to get your own drinks, so it was more like a canteen facility than a restaurant. Evie, the lady who seemed to do all the work in the dining area, was a little sweetie, she was run off her feet most of the time, not having much chance to interact with the guests whcih was a shame, as the little conversation we had was nice. As time went on, we found the family to be nice and friendly as well as helpful, and the father (who we nicknamed papa Joe) was pleasant too. Its just such a shame that the All inclusive is very poor, they would be better just doing meals and then people can choose to drink there or not. I dont think I would return there again, as I go away with my friends every year on an all inclusive holiday, but this was nothing like the all inclusive I have experienced anywhere else. Too basic. If you want a relaxing holiday with nothing around you then book, but I would recommend that you dont choose the all inclusive option as you will still have to spend a substantial amount of money to subsidise this. I have also contacted travelrepublic about the room we paid for and they are going to investigate... fingers crossed!!

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade to a better room with air con.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank julie f
Reviewed July 4, 2012

When we first got there, we thought the hotel was possibly a bit too far out from 'everything' (in Hersonissos, etc.), as it was hard to get five of us in a taxi. (We DID all squeeze in a few times, but were charged 10 - 12 euros instead of the normal 7, because of the extra passenger!) Connie (whose parents own the hotel) offered to transfer us to their sister hotel in Hersonissos and we actually checked it out, but decided Hersonissos was just TOO loud and busy for us anyway, and we LOVED the gorgeous setting of the Cretan Garden! We had adjacent rooms overlooking the pool and the ocean, with plenty of sun loungers and shade umbrellas to go round. Only steps from room to pool to bar to dining areas, and about 350 metres to the beach; sitting outside in the evening, watching the sun set on the sea, letting the breezes from the ocean cool us down (while we warmed up with the all-inclusive drinks and usually played cards or board games) was a lovely way to end the day. For those so inclined, there is a pool table, tennis/volley ball court, mini-golf and small children's playground, although no 'organized' activiites. The food was plentiful - mostly traditional Greek recipes which, I admit, are not to everyone's taste, but lots of salads, fresh breads and always SOMETHING for those who did not like the traditional dishes. Let's face it - if you want fish and chips, STAY HOME and do NOT go to a foreign country! This is a quiet little hotel but VERY friendly and all the staff - from Connie and her family to Evie (who ran after everybody and cleaned up constantly) to Tony the barman (who has a VERY good sense of humour) could not do enough for us and had lots of suggestions for where to go, how to get there, and what to investigate once you were there. We hired a car for a full week and never ran out of places to go and see, as Anissaris is situated quite centrally for visiting places from Rhythemnon to Sitea, and Ierapetra! Do NOT go by the map when you looking at the "yellow road" (the New National Road) on the map - listen to Connie when she tells you that these roads are "quite an adventure" , as you go flying round narrow winding roads on the sides of steep mountains! Mind you, they are definitely worth travelling, as we visited several small, traditional Cretan villages. All in all, we had a very enjoyable time, in a small, very friendly, family-run hotel. (And we did enjoy the belly dancing - thanks, Tony, for providing the music!)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends