“Service depreciated”

The Sood's Garden Retreat
Ranked #1 of 67 Kalimpong B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Good location as heard but we had bad weather so no view..
The cold weather needs a room heater which is missing. You get a small space heater after 5:00 pm. only and at a cost. But it doesn't heat any area beyond 2 ft. Since the restaurent also caters to outsiders, the service goes drastically down the when there are too many patrons in the restaurant and inspite of being the local guest, you are ignored. So the first 2 days when guests were low in number we had good experience with food. But later when the guests increased including outsiders, the service went down. On the third day all food items were messed up from burnt soup, to raw starters, no spices in veggies and a ladoo from local shop for dessert.

Room Tip: Deluxe room next to reception provides good view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Hotel is little away from main town. I had booked 2 rooms for 2 days through makemytrip.com for 30th and 31st October, 2012. I had checked in at 3 PM and the 2 garden side basement rooms were allocated for us. One of the rooms was damp and I found some insects in the room. Even a street cat entered in the room and a hotel boy located that under the bed. Main door auto lock was broken.
Dinner was worst which was not eatable. I had complained to the manager and talked with the makemytrip call centre. Next day hotel authorities had changed the room to ground floor which was nice. We hadn't taken any food next day from hotel, except the complimentary breakfast. Complementary buffet breakfast was quite good.

Room Tip: Don't choose garden side basement rooms. i.e beside the restaurant.
1  Thank Tirtha C
Reviewed October 30, 2012

When it comes to think about pampering myself I simply think of Soods! I came back to Kolkata this Sunday and all I have is fresh and healthy heart full of good memories - a part of which definitely belongs to my stay in Soods. I didn't have a booking before I landed there with a big family of 9 and moreover I wanted to stay there for 4 nights. I was quite amazed by the guy behind the reception desk who quietly and patiently understood my requirement and arranged everything in a few hours. Thanks Manjil for managing everything in such short time specially at the peak season when almost all the rooms were reserved. I was at room 102 and the view of Kanchenjunga and Himalayan range is outstanding! The rooms were well equipped and interior posses quite fascinating design. Housekeeping service is excellent and no matter how many times you call them they will be at your service in a minute. Restaurant serves authentic foods of Chinese and Indian cuisine. The temple inside the campus created an majestic aura which didn't let me feel that I am miles away from my hometown Kolkata during Durga Puja. Last but not the least though I didn't interacted with the owner Mr. Siddhant Sood but quite a number of time I had seen him closely monitoring the services even quite late at night. Wish that Soods stay in top in their hospitality service and it would be my pleasure to stay there again if I visit Kalimpong.

Room Tip: Room 102, 101, 109 have excellent views
1  Thank rayjayeeta79
Reviewed October 29, 2012

It is truly a 'home away from home' experience!
A lovely city with grand views and just a few steps away.... a nice mod market!
At the hotel....lovely staff, great rooms, wonderful sights of the mountain ranges and luck permitting (we saw on the last day of our six day stay) a nice view of Kanchenjunga! Food quite nice with a lot of variety. The view from the restaurant is also great!
As for the staff....always ready to help with a smiling face!
I shall certainly be back if I land up at Kalimpong again.

Room Tip: Ask for room 201,202 if possible. Grand rooms with 'service on call' and personal balcony si...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

To start with, I was surprised when i checked in... the location beautiful, awesome view from the room, excellent service n good food. Ihad no problems regarding the requirements of my 1 yr old son as the staff was very supportive & Mr. Siddhant Sood (Owner), a thorough gentleman.. wud recommend ppl (family or single) to definitely go n stay there. One of the best places I'v stayed in Kalimpong of my numerous visits.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny, with a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains.
Reviewed October 23, 2012

To begin with, I was not very pleased during the booking when I was told "No Refund" - in case of cancellation/delay of arrival. Later, I hoped that my perception will change once I stay there.

We travelled to KP from Darjeeling & Soods was just outside the city on the edge of the highway. The name 'garden resort' made our hopes high as we expected a big garden with huge lawn but that was not case!

The reception was empty & we waited for a good 15 mins before someone showed up. There were no apologies offered but a look of "Why did you disturb me?" presented itself :)

We had a deluxe room, which was big & spacious with adequate furnishing. The view from the room was good however the bed covers were black in color which gave an eerie ambience to the room.
Upon enquiry, the reception pointed out the tours & the places that can be visited but later seemed uninterested when he learnt that we may not book the cab from this hotel. The food was ok & surprisingly the hotel was pretty much empty, we hardly saw another guest during the 2.5 days we stayed there. On the first day itself, the bathroom got flooded as a result of a chocked drainage & a parabolic bathroom floor design ;-)

Pros & Cons:

Pros:
1. One of the better places to stay & eat in KP
2. Well maintained garden with a small lawn, which means less people would bother to linger around hence more privacy.
3. Spacious rooms, ideal for a large family
4. You can enjoy your privacy in this nice isolated place, though being well connected to the city (800m to the city)

Cons:
1. Customer Service attitude - this was completely missing! No one greets, smiles, cares!
2. Hot water was an issue every day
3. No internet!!!!
4. Food rates are a tad higher than usual !
5. Water logging in the bathroom

Nice to have:
1. A free shuttle to the city, may be once/twice a day

Lastly, no one expects a 7 star treatment with all the amenities of a palace but what makes an impression on a guest is the customer service he experiences. In this case, we kept searching for this "attribute" in vain !

Room Tip: No point in spending double the tariff in getting a deluxe/super deluxe. If you find the basic ameni...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Big spacious rooms with gud furnishings.
However, lacks basic hygiene.

The vicinity of the hotel area is very peaceful.

The hotel should improve the 'Customer Service'. I wanted to do online checkin for my flight to home city so i needed internet connection. The reception guy redirected me to go the the market area, dats ridiculous.

Would suggest the hotel guys to wear uniforms coz every other person is in civil dress and they all look one and the same, it becomes very difficult to trust somebody visiting your room at late nights.

Few inconveniences however i would still recommend this hotel since i enjoyed my stay there.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple