To begin with, I was not very pleased during the booking when I was told "No Refund" - in case of cancellation/delay of arrival. Later, I hoped that my perception will change once I stay there.
We travelled to KP from Darjeeling & Soods was just outside the city on the edge of the highway. The name 'garden resort' made our hopes high as we expected a big garden with huge lawn but that was not case!
The reception was empty & we waited for a good 15 mins before someone showed up. There were no apologies offered but a look of "Why did you disturb me?" presented itself :)
We had a deluxe room, which was big & spacious with adequate furnishing. The view from the room was good however the bed covers were black in color which gave an eerie ambience to the room.
Upon enquiry, the reception pointed out the tours & the places that can be visited but later seemed uninterested when he learnt that we may not book the cab from this hotel. The food was ok & surprisingly the hotel was pretty much empty, we hardly saw another guest during the 2.5 days we stayed there. On the first day itself, the bathroom got flooded as a result of a chocked drainage & a parabolic bathroom floor design ;-)
Pros & Cons:
1. One of the better places to stay & eat in KP
2. Well maintained garden with a small lawn, which means less people would bother to linger around hence more privacy.
3. Spacious rooms, ideal for a large family
4. You can enjoy your privacy in this nice isolated place, though being well connected to the city (800m to the city)
1. Customer Service attitude - this was completely missing! No one greets, smiles, cares!
2. Hot water was an issue every day
3. No internet!!!!
4. Food rates are a tad higher than usual !
5. Water logging in the bathroom
Nice to have:
1. A free shuttle to the city, may be once/twice a day
Lastly, no one expects a 7 star treatment with all the amenities of a palace but what makes an impression on a guest is the customer service he experiences. In this case, we kept searching for this "attribute" in vain !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 8.5 Miles is where you will find us, just 800 meters before the hustle and bustle of the market area set amidst nature with a breathtaking view, on the sunniest part of the hills. For whatever you have in mind you can't be better located. Near to all the site seeing interests. Laze on the rolling lawns or just admire the glory of the mighty Mt. Kanchenjunga from the restaurant, balconies or lawns. Let the children get naughty on the outdoor play area, swings and slides. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your The Sood's Garden Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sood`s Garden Retreat Hotel Kalimpong