“Wonderful place to stay”
Review of Garden Reach Hotel

and 1 more site!
Garden Reach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Kalimpong
San Diego, California
“Wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at the Garden Reach hotel. It is just a little way outside of the main town, but easily walkable and out of the fray of noise and chaos. We had a great view of snow capped Kanchenjunga from the grounds and there is a well-tended garden for the use of guests. There is an attractive and spotlessly clean restaurant 2 floors below our room and a substantial and tasty breakfast was included in our room rate. We had room 314. Our room is huge. Its clean. The bed is comfortable. One wall is all windows and looks out to part of the garden and the valley beyond. We were given an extra warm and fuzzy blanket and extra pillows. There is a large closet. There is a sitting area with chairs and a table and another area with a desk. We have a kettle and cups and packets of instant coffee. The lights are bright enough to read by (a rarity in Asia and India). We have a TV with English channels. The staff is friendly and quick to respond to requests. We have a wonderful young man who is the room attendant and checks on us frequently. Just like uptown. Compared to the last hotel in Gangtok, the difference is night and day. Only two problems: the room has a strong odor of mothballs, which I hate, and there is no internet. But I can live with both of those. Especially since the other guests and the staff are so gracious to let me partake in the Diwali celebrations. Besides, I just took the mothballs out of the room. But its strange, though, this hotel has no heat. We are at a very high elevation and its November, so its cold in the evening and at night. While I am sitting at the desk typing this review, I have on silk long underwear, a complete set of clothing, my jacket and my husband’s warm jacket and socks and shoes. He is lying in bed under the blankets. One thinks twice about slipping out from under the blankets at night to go to the bathroom. I don’t know what the deal is in this part of the world. No heat? This is the second hotel we stayed at that has no heat. But, like I said, I love this hotel room and I love this spectacularly beautiful part of the world, so I will just bundle up and live like the locals.

Addendum: After staying here two nights, I finally read the sign on the back of the door in our room. It seems the hotel has space heaters that can be arranged at an additional cost. Its my own fault for not asking.

I gave this hotel a rating of excellent and I have posted photos.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Thimphu, Bhutan
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during our trip in Jan, 2012 and found quite ok although it was damn cold and rooms were without proper heater. Rooms are absolutely cold, food served were not up to our satisfaction. Location wise very good considering the crowded no parking places of Kalimpong. The only thing we like was garden outside.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HeavenlyBhutanTravel
GardenReachSales, Public Relations Manager at Garden Reach Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks for sparing time to submit your valuable views. Also would Like to Thanks you to focus on the areas Of Improvement. Although we Provide Heater In every Room during winters But I would recheck what went wrong On That Day if Datas are available. But still we would be Cautious This Does Not Happen again.
DN DUTTA
MADURAI. TAMILNADU
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night & the service was very good. rooms are big in size.The food also really exceptional. A bit far away from the city but a calm place to stay. The ambiance of the restaurant was good & our group enjoyed food & stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Ghaziabad, India
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We found Garden Reach hotel an average hotel. After reading the reviews abt this hotel by others at tripadvisor, we wr quite apprehensive as we'd already made the bookings. But the room that we stayed in ws not as bad. Location wise it's away from the main bazaar area but conveyance is available readily. Food is below average...very wierd tasting paneer butter masala and bhindi masala were seved with very very oily daal...

Room Tip: We stayed in a room near the reception area on the ground floor...it was ok.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kalyani
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The position is ok, not very good , not bad, near college. rooms old type, moderately clean and maintained. toilets not upto standard. room and laundry oom service good. food not good enough. it is sort of ok type Budget option.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Secunderabad, India
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed here for a night in May 2012 and can say that I could have avoided this altogether had I known the place would be such. The staff is very slow.. and most of the time you will find no-one at the reception.
The food restaurant was DIRTY! The tables not cleaned .. I ate at the same table for dinner and breakfast the next morning and I was sure that it was not cleaned up after dinner. Made me skip my breakfast on noticing the level of cleanliness.
The bathroom taps weren't working.. nor was the hot water facility working great.
There is one manager there, who when available is a bit helpful. But the problem is he's not around mostly!

Look out for a better option.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Kalimpong hotels

Kolkata
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Choice of this hotel was my mistake.
1) The staff is careless. On first day we informed reception "NOT TO CLEAN-UP" room, our luggage was kept open in room. After returning back we found that the room was cleaned in-spite of instructions. The open luggage was kept aside by someone. Luckily there wasn't any theft noticed.
2) The service is very poor. After following-up and repeating the same order for multiple times, the food order arrived very late, leaving us hungry for long time... and staff came with wrong order. When we raised our voice the staff was still expecting us to speak to him in good tone and told us to mind our tone. Would you like this attitude? if you are person who believes that "customer is a king" ... then surely you won't :-).

3) One good point is Rooms were good.

In all I was NOT treated like CUSTOMER. If you still want to stay in this hotel then I wish you best luck.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank san291199
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalimpong
Dhardo Retreat and Resort
#82 of 124 in Darjeeling
The Sood's Garden Retreat
The Sood's Garden Retreat
#1 of 65 in Kalimpong

Been to Garden Reach Hotel? Share your experiences!