Shakti 360 Degrees Leti
Priceline
$229
$65
  • Restaurant
Neemrana's - Ramgarh Bungalows(Ramgarh)(Great Value!)
$74
  • Breakfast included
V Resorts Ramgarh(Ramgarh)(Great Value!)
$67
$58
Priceline
$96
$551
$61
All reviewsonce in a lifetimecabintibetantrekscampbunga
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We travelled to Uttarakhand from Delhi - a 5.5 hour train ride and drove for 2.5 hrs to a wonderful "farmhouse". Then a beautiful walk. The next day's accommodation was just as good: great food, comfy beds and the best guide Tenzing Jamyang "Jamy". The next day wedrove 5 hours to Leti at the foot of the Himalayas where we stayed for 3 nights. Then back for a long drive to yet another "farmhouse". Equally stunning with great food.

This trip was not cheap - $4000 a piece - but all inclusive including alcohol and transport. There was also a lot of driving. Still it was so special - a really thrilling week in wonderful fabulous India.

Room Tip: All amazing!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank DickbarSC
Reviewed December 17, 2013

NB: This is a really late review. My husband and I stayed here in November 2013.

It is important to know the journey to 360° Leti WILL NOT BE EASY. It is in a very remote part of Uttarakhand and will require (1) An overnight train (7 hours) from Delhi to Kathgodam and (2) a 7-8 hours car ride. In fact, I got so car sick within the first 2 hours that I (half-jokingly) told my husband that we should abandon the idea and just stay at the simple guest house at the Almora district where Shakti has an office. Mark, our private guide who picked us up from the train and travelled with us for the rest of the journey, assured me that “it’s worth it”.

And it was.

=The Rooms=

The resort has little cabins built traditionally from rocks and stones, providing great insulation. Glass panels cover one entire wall of the cabin, offering unparalleled view of the mountain ranges. There is ZERO electricity and connectivity inside each cabin – just a fireplace and 3 solar-powered lamps. This also means there is no TV. But with the wonderful view, you really don’t need TV or the Internet. Hot water, powered by solar energy, is readily available. You will also be able to find warm pashmina throws in the room. Hot water bottles will warm your beds at night.

=The Surroundings=

“In the early morning, crawl out of bed, draw the blinds, then crawl back under the covers to enjoy the view. And of course you’ll need to take a picture of the view with your feet!” said Elly, the host at Shakti 360° Leti.

Leti is a tranquil, happy and peaceful spot nestled within the heart of towering mountains. It offers a 360° view of the Himalayan ranges and in the early morning, you can see the Dangthal peak warmed pink with the sunrise.

We went for a guided “short walk” (around 3 hours) that brought us through the village and to a beautiful vantage point. Along the way, we met curious villagers and children who would smile shyly and occasionally asked for our names and/or nationalities. The trek could bring you through some steep and rocky bits, so please bring along fitting and comfortable shoes. No slippers (even though the villagers were trekking with thin-soled leather slippers…) For making it to the vantage point, we were “rewarded” with little treats of rocher chocolates and chilled rhododendron juice. After returning from the walk, we returned to our rooms to find 2 tubs of piping hot water scented with petals to soothe our battered feet. How thoughtful of Leti. :)

=The People=

Leti is helmed by the hostess Elly, Yeshi the chief chef, Mark (our guide in Nov 2013, who has since left Shakti), a team of 10+ men and a resident dog. Everyone was wonderfully warm, friendly, helpful, considerate and importantly, non-intrusive.

=The Food=

At Leti, you will be fed like a king and queen. Every morning, a server will appear at your cabin with cups of hot tea, coffee and home-made biscuits. A little pre-breakfast treat. Breakfast will be served outdoors, and will consist of fresh fruits, yogurt, toast, jams and honey, and eggs. Lunch will be something light – like salads with baked pies, or Burmese kao-suay. Dinner will be more elaborate with a mix of India and/or western-style dishes.

You can also take momo-making lessons with the cheerful Yeshi, and then have the momos for dinner! Great fun. Great food.

If you enjoy more subtle and nuanced flavours, coupled with fresh, farm-grown vegetables and locally-sourced ingredients, you will enjoy the food at Leti.

Overall, it was a very comfortable and happy stay. We highly recommend a stay, regardless how remote it is, and how basic it can appear (no TV, no internet, not even a hair dryer). If you think about the terrain and the location it operates in, it is a luxury stay because of the comfortable beds, warmed by hot water bottles and a fireplace, the modern yet traditional pavilions, the endless flow of tasty food; that you don’t have to lift a finger here because everything is planned for you.

This place is blessed with good soil, good climate and wonderfully warm people. It doesn’t get better than this.

Shakti 360° Leti has a great story of how it came into existence and you can read more about it here: http://www.archdaily.com/63334/leti-360-studio-mumbai/

Room Tip: Ask for the cabin with the view of the Dangthal peak. This offers one of the best views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank cheehuey
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We had looked forward to our days at Leti more than any other part of our Indian trip - and we weren't disappointed. Other reviewers have captured what makes this place so magical. So I'd just like to mention a few of our personal highlights: the walk up to the top for stunning views of the mountains; playing cricket with the staff (I'm still peeved at being given out instead of getting 6 runs for my first-ball heave down the hillside); learning how to cook samosas with Yeshi in the kitchen; meeting children in the village below; the friendliness of Ellie as host and the terrific company of Rohan, our guide (what a top bloke!); fabulous food throughout; and the fresh air and views, views and more views.

Shakti's organisation was first class and this was a truly unforgettable experience; probably our favourite place ever. Thanks one and all, missing you already.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ProperCharlie
Reviewed September 27, 2013

360° Leti in the Kumaon Hills is an absolute must ! The place is just magical, suspended in the air above the Ram Ganga, overlooking paddy fields and surrounded by majestic mountains. Each bungalow, all made of natural and local material, has a super huge king-size bed with a view which will make your home cinema look ridiculous.
The service is up to the mark, great dining in the cozy main bungalow. A perfect ending to a village walk in the Kumaoni hills !
This is a remote place, the journey is long and weary but that makes it all the more worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Njaques
Reviewed May 22, 2013

360 Leti is a magical place. Getting there is easier than it used to be, although still hair-raising. Until very recently when the new road opened, a five hour walk up the moment was necessary. We took the car - very scary. A single road, carved into the mountain - I was constantly praying we wouldn't meet anyone coming the other way (coming down, after snow was worse - that's another story...!). If you get the chance to go here, go. The views are sublime and can't be matched, I don't think - certainly not against anywhere I've been (and I've been to some beautiful places). The individual lodges or villas are delightful, with huge beds, and a woodburning fire. The main room, where you eat is comfortable and warm. We were incredibly lucky - we were the only ones there in the entire 4 days we stayed and I'm not sure if I would have felt differently about the place if we had had to share it! Certainly meals at lunch and in the evening would have been different as there was just one, communal table. I'm sure most wouldn't mind this, but I would have found it difficult. During our stay unfortunately I became quite ill with a fever and sore throat, then flu. It was worrying because there was no medical support within several hours - in the end though I did get through it but was very poorly and became delirious - not much fun. The staff couldn't have been better - delightful. I really really loved it although I think it is the kind of place you only go to once - to retain the magic. The food does become a bit repetitive as it all has to be carried up the mountain, and wasn't to my taste. Oh, one other thing - there is no electricity.....but it doesn't matter in the least and only adds to it's charm.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the village are not so private as the villagers walk quite nearby to tend their crops. So choose on on the other side.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple