“Nice hotel with good food”

OYO 3345 Shubham Beach
Ranked #51 of 89 Hotels in Puri
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Good location, just 3-4 mins walk from the beach and the temple is about 10 mins drive.

The rooms were small but clean with fresh linens, blankets & towels. The bed was comfortable. There is a small study table and a spacious wardrobe. Near the washroom is a small sofa with center table. Just above is a AC which was working perfectly fine. The washroom was clean with hot water but the geyser needed frequent breaks for the water to heat up.

The hotel has a small dining space which can accommodate just about 15 ppl at a time. The food options are limited but very well prepared.

Suggestions:
1. Needs addition to the breakfast menu
2. Better quality geysers with higher water capacity.
3. Tea/Coffee maker in the room given the tariff charged.
4. The dining area capacity to be increased to accommodate more guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ShwetAditya

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had book this hotel on Tripadvisor rating. I checked in and disappointed getting a such small rooms. But rooms are very clean and modern. However, the restaurant is purely vegetarian, though you have good non-veg restaurants near the hotel. The sea beach is only 3 mins walk and rooms and terrace have beautiful sea view.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had booked this hotel based on Tripadvisor rating and review commnts. I checked in and I was disappointed getting a such small room. I was sure...I had become fool. But the next early morning I get up to watch sunrise.... I strated beleiving the Tripadvisor rating was not misleading indeed. The beach just 4 minutes waliking distance. Most importantly you can see Sunrise just from you bed. Now about the staffs: They are very very co-operative. I can't remmebre how many times I bugged them for my baby's food and water. In early morning, durng lunch time,evening and late in night. I had never seen any of them accepting my request without a smile. They were always ready help me. I really liked it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Soumyadeb
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Our last trip to Puri was a hastily planned trip. I tried several well known hotels where I generally stay but none could help me with rooms. Finally I could manage rooms at the Shubham Beach at Chakratirtha Road,Puri. Though a bit expensive, but the rooms were quite spacious and modern.
The best part of the hotel was the warmth of the management and staff. Specially Mr. Patnaik helped us a lot. However, the restaurant is purely vegetarian, though you have good non-veg restaurants near the hotel. The sea beach is only 3 mins walk and rooms and terrace have beautiful sea view.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank B_Sujoy
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Based on traveler reviews and the room price we expected a very clean hotel near a clean beach, with garden and pool, and breakfast. We were disappointed. Basic and only somewhat clean room, over priced. Closest beach has much garbage though a short walk brings you to a cleaner stretch. Breakfast was only toast and jam in a dingy dining room. No garden to sit in, no pool. We would not stay there again, although it is popular with Indian families on weekends, and OK if you lower your expectations.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Please do not book this hotel at all. there are much better hotels in Puri for this price. THe rooms are tiny and dirty. the bathrooms are too bad and clogged. I had booked for two noghts paying a whopping 7000/-. but checked out within 2 hours of checking in. THe management refused to return my money.
The location is simply bad inside a small lane surrounded by slums. The restaurant is more like a dining hall of a hostelll

Room Tip: Go to Holiday Resorts hotel nearby and lookout for cottages...extremely good....
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Shantanu R
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed in Puri for a number of weeks and as we like a change of environment sometimes we stayed in 5 different hotels whilst here. The Shubham by far the best.

Compared to many places this hotel is run predominantly by women, and you can see that in the details and in the friendliness of the place. We felt so at home as soon as we arrived and nothing was ever too much for the smiley lady on the reception (who I suspect is the daughter of the owners).

The rooms are clean and well looked after. Beds are tidied every day and the showers are actually as advertised (hot!) which makes a change.

The room smelled a little when we first arrived but that was down to the strange Indian custom of putting mothballs everywhere. We hunted them down and threw them away and the smell went within a day.

It's about a 3 minute walk to the beach, past the Pink House. What more could you want?

The food is the best we ate in Puri so it's a shame we only ate here on our last night (we were on the search for the best eating place in Puri and it turns out it was right under our noses)

For the price, it wipes the floor with the likes of the so called #1 on here. Beats them on cost and service as well as being a much more friendly environment.

Bad points, and I'm being picky here:
* The food could have been a little spicier but they probably took one look at my pasty face and dulled it down
* After the owners go to bed the night staff speak almost no English so it becomes like an episode of Fawlty Towers if you need anything
* The poppadoms are too large! But that's not really a bad thing if you don't order too many like we did :)

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet enough
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends