“Extremely unprofessional..... spoiled my trip”
Review of Hotel Santana

Hotel Santana
Ranked #57 of 81 Hotels in Puri
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Extremely unprofessional..... spoiled my trip”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Santana means consolation and this hotel is just that. Can't understand how it ended up getting such high rating on TripAdvisor.
First the good points. The hotel staff in general are nice, simple, courteous people. The rooms are quite good. There is a lawn where you can sit and relax and its a safe place to stay with family.
Now the reasons why I won't go there again and won't recommend it to anybody. I planned a trip with my family during the last Christmas break. None of the good resorts were available even one month in advance and so I opted for this hotel going by the reviews on TripAdvisor. I made an advanced payment via net transfer and they assured me that rooms will be ready when we arrive at 6 am. But we had to wait in the lobby for more than 2 hours before we finally got our rooms.
The hotel is at the end of CT road and even for going to the CT Road beach, one needs to hire an auto. The hotel has a fisherman's colony on one side and something like a cold storage/ice factory on the other. There is nothing quaint about this.... it stinks. They said the sea is well visible from the terrace but most of the view is blocked by houses and anyway the terrace is littered with birdshit.

Their restaurant's so-called specialities turned out to be very average (don't confuse that with 'homely food') and every day they would ask us to order our meals in advance but thankfully there are lots of good options in Puri and we hardly ate there after the first day.

Now to my worst experience with these people. I wanted to book a day long sightseeing trip and though there were lots of other operators, I trusted the hotel manager to do the booking and he assured me he'll get us good front seats on a deluxe bus. On the morning of the trip the tour operator was supposed to send a auto to pick us up from the hotel but there were none. So we went on our own to the starting point and located our operator. What greeted us was shocking. Instead of the promised deluxe bus, there was a old, rickety bus with narrow hard seats (no reclining, arm rests etc.). I called up the hotel manager and his first reaction was " Take whatever is there. Your fares are already paid and we won't refund". No sorry or He first won't admit he had promised a deluxe trip and later argued this is good enough, others were also travelling in the same bus. The others turned out to be very low-budget travellers. I wanted to cancel this trip even without refunds but it was our last day in Puri and I wasn't sure I'll be able to arrange another trip at the last minute. The whole journey of 13 hours or so turned out to be extremely uncomfortable. The guide was a semi-literate person with limited knowledge. It was an extremely tight itinerary with hardly any time for toilet breaks. The lunch stop was at a dirty and cheap hotel. The trip was a total disaster thanks to the incompetent fellow at Hotel Santana. These people have no idea about quality service and a minimal standard certain people will expect.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
17 Thank HSROY

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Travelled here with my elderly mother. This is a gem of a place - very clean, and well maintained. Staff were very courteous and helpful. Compared to a hotel we stayed in Bhubhanehwar (which was 5 times more pricey) this was a steal - fantastic value for money. Would highly recommend this place to anyone. The only drawback is that it has no sea views - but the beach is a short walk away.

1 Thank ggmath
Singapore
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We booked the hotel by online booking through IRCTC portal. The booking was smooth and the stay even smoother. I went to Puri with my parents (of feeble health) for the sake of pilgrimage to Jagannath Puri temple. We reached Puri at 10.30 p.m. and sought an auto rickshaw to go to the hotel. Most rickshaw drivers do not recognize the hotel Santana by name. It is better to tell them that you want to go to the hotel just after the hotel 'Akash international". In night, they charge Rs 80-85. In the day time Rs 60-65 from the Puri Railway station. However, finding you a tourist, they will not start below Rs. 200 and be prepared to haggle.

Okay, we were received quite warmly by the hotel staff. We let them know our preferred itinerary - first day Jagannath temple in the early morning, local sight seeing in the afternoon, second day - beach, may be some little sight seeing, and temple visit in the evening for flag re-hoisting ceremony, third day - tour to Konark Temple and other places outside and near Puri.

The manager Pramod advised me correctly that it might be overwhelming for the parents to go sight seeing in the afternoon sun. He also arranged a panda (a temple priest) completely free of the cost who would take you to the last barrier before the God's statues. He also told us that though the hot water does not run in the taps, we just need to call (by phone or by hailing aloud) for hot water and it will be provided instantly as many times as we want and whenever we want.

So, in the morning, having taken bath and my parents religiously observing the fast before seeing the God's, we left for temple. It is best to ask the manager Pramod to arrange for an auto rickshaw at a fixed price (he ensures that you are not charged silly tourist prices - but only reasonable amounts). The panda was present even before we were ready and the rickshaw called for Rs. 60. Well, the panda was quite good - he ensured us a quick darshan without paying to a single penny to intermediate priests - though of course we had to pay the entrance fees where ever applicable.

We were done quickly with the temple visit, and my diabetic mom given tea and snacks before 9.00 am. Nevertheless, the crowd, the rush, the lack of oxygen, and the expanse of the temple tired us a lot. The panda disappeared even without taking a tip. Well, we bought some prasad (temple offerings) and some mementos in the bazaar outside the temple. We wanted to find another auto rickshaw back to the hotel. But, don't be fooled by the people who say that the rickshaw stand is behind the temple somewhere. Simply walk along the big road (literally translated in Hindi and called so - bada rasta) till you see several autos. Going back is usually more expensive - it costs 70-90 Rupees depending on your urgency and/or patience.

We were happy to be back to the hotel - we washed our clothes and put them to dry in the small garden space behind the hotel - the garden space is quite beautiful(as per Puri standard) and serene and makes you feel really at home and want to stay longer. And then if you happen to walk upstairs to the terrace - oh my god - the empty expanse of sea and beaches welcome you with silver shimmer and warm invitations. The terrace itself is very clean, like the hotel in general, white, and free of clutter. For claustrophilic people, it might be intimidating to be on a big and open terrace overlooking big and open sea beach and peering directly over several temples and homes in Puri - but for us the terrace and the garden were the best experience in the hotel - though other things were not bad.

Well rested and fed by an completely vegetarian small restaurant nearby, we had a good nap and in the early evening - 5.00 pm - we left for a beach sunset. Beach is a leisurely 15 minutes walk away and a beautiful experience with not so many people to make you feel stuffy. We also gathered some basic supplies - shampoo, biscuit packet, etc from the shop just across the road from the hotel. Also, we did not take risk of drinking tap water and bought bottled water from the same shop across the road.

The sleep was nice. And we were ready for morning tour in time after our breakfast at the vegetarian restaurant. Pramod arranged an auto for us to show 11 places on interest in local sight seeing at Rs. 350 (as compared to autos that show 5-6 places at Rs. 250). Later, we gave an extra Rs. 100 to the auto driver to take us to a specific pilgrimage near swarg dwar (very less known Sikh pilgrimage - very difficult to find due to less popularity) - known as Bawli math - next to joda math in swarg dwar. Quite an interesting place. Back again to hotel and after good nap - to temple by an auto that Pramod arranged. The flag re-hoisting ceremony is interesting and awe-inspiring to some extent - but more awe inspiring are the stories of the prices and wonders of buying tidbits of the flag just unhoisted.

The next day, we checkout early before taking the tourist bus. For this Pramod gave us three options:
1. A private car - Rs. 1500 for all the places and visits covered by the typical tours
2. A volvo bus at Rs. 450
3. A normal tour bus at Rs. 150.

While I preferred option 1, my time-weathered father preferred option 3. Pramod made no fuss at all about our choice and made the best possible arrangement. He arranged an auto to drop us at the tour bus location for Rs. 30. We preferred that our luggage be in the hotel and we collect it after the tour in the night. He warmly agreed and safe-kept our luggage for us. He suggested that we come back and refresh ourselves in their washroom facilities before we leave for home-ward journey. It turns out that his kind offer was a very wise suggestion. We indeed felt blessed to have a clean, well-maintained toilet for us after a tiring day long trip.

So, all in all, good service, decently clean, very warm and comfortable place, with a small but amazing garden and a big terrace with a grand view - this hotel is a must-revisit for me (next time as a couple).

Room Tip: Room at ground floor to get garden view. Drink tea from tea shop outside hotel not from the hotel k...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dilipprasad
Reviewed March 15, 2012

1) Location - This is the last hotel in CT Road. For tourists - remember you have to pay Rs 60 one way in autos(time - 15 mins) for travelling from hotel to main Swargadwar area. So means 240 daily if you go there both morning and evening.
2) Fooding - Hotel food quality very bad apart from soft drinks. I am a bengali and not a very food fanatic though still I found this terrible.For snacks not a single option for puri-sabji nearby. You have rely on cakes etc. or if you are rich enough it should not be a problem. Good lunch will cost at least 130/person non-veg from some nearby outlets. Thalis are not a good option here - no value for money.
3) Beach - At least 15 mins to the nearest one which is not a very good beach though as just 2 tea stalls and nothing else. Evening time even those two are not there. So you are all in dark. Just carry a light for writing some good poems.
4) Hotel & Service - I checked @7:45AM (after a 11 hour bus journey) which was mentioned as the chekin time in cleartrip itenerary. We were 2 families - with me there was an infant.
a) Manager Mr Pramod told that the checkin time should be 9 AM and it is wrongly printed.Said our rooms will be ready in 30 mins. There was no checkin time board though in front.
b) They gave me a room to settle down but they can hardly realize how 4 people and an infant in one room can be freshened up.
c) After repeated follow ups finally @ 9:45 they said it will be available soon(no idea how soon?).
d) Finally they handed us rooms @ 11AM well past checkin time.
e) They are demanding rooms as Deluxe AC/non-ac. I found my room with beetle leaf spitted in walls - what a deluxe sattire?
f) Next day we found red ants all over the bed in every corner when we were dying to sleep @ night. Called the boys to replace them.
g) All the mattresses and pillows I guess were inported from burning ghats if you really have seen one such sample. Only covers are white dont dare to open them to see underneath. You might faint.
h) Everytime I have to carry our water bottle back and forth for refilling. I hope that is not included in their mandatory service.
i) Last but not the least when I reported on checkin issue to cleartrip Mr Pramod told a whitelie that we checkedin @ 4AM so the room handover was late - what a bunch of cheaters.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

5 Thank meet_sourabh

Travelers are raving about these Puri hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We had checked in the Hotel around 5 AM in the morning, we didn't have to go through the documentation process as it was too early for us, the hotel staff asked us to take rest and complete the process later in the day.

Room:
~~~~~
We had stayed in AC room, the room quality was very nice with clean bedsheets, floor. The fixtures in the bathroom was good too. There was a sofa, a tea poy in the room apart from a small cupboard.

Room Service
~~~~~~~~~~~
The room service was nice. Every staff of the hotel was very adorable. Though it takes a bit of time, but that was Okay to us.

Hotel Ambience
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Hotel is of a nice structure, has a beautiful garden inside where you can sit anytime during your stay. The corridors have a sofa to relax whenever you want.

Local SightSeeing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Hotel has tie up's with a bunch of private travel agencies. I would strongly recommend to go for the Govt. OTDC tours as the private one's are not up to the mark at all.

~~~~~
The Hotel has a very good chef who has a wide variety to offer with homely taste to satisfy your pallete.

The Hotel Manager Mr. Pramod is a awsome guy. You can reach him anythime for anything you want!

Room Tip: You can see the Ocean view from the 1st Floor Rooms.
2 Thank manchuray
Agartala, Tripura, India
Reviewed January 15, 2012

You will forget all the troubles of your journey once you visit Hotel Santana.
I would like to thank all the hotel staffs & specially Mr Pramode (Manager), who made my puri visit memorable. The food served there is nice & the entire atmosphere of the hotel is cool. I really felt a homely atmosphere in this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms of the 1st floor are quiter
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank psdonline
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I had stayed in this hotel in ist week of Dec.I should say that other hotels should learn Customer service from the management of this hotel.Especially Mr.Pramod (Manager).He will go out of the way to help,organise and ensure that you are satisfied.The hotel has a palacian look with a beautiful terrace from where you can watch the Sun rise.Beach is 10 minutes from there ans Swargodwar is 10 minutes by auto,The fare is a bit high,Rs.50/-per trip.But the service,food and the attitude drains away all these small intricacies.All the best to Santana....Prasenjit

Room Tip: Choose double bed delux premium.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple