“Highly recommend, we call it our second home.”
other travelers have booked this property
Sha Ri Loum - View from the road
A view of the house from the front The spiral staircase that connects the floors
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Sha Ri Loum - View from the road
A view of the house from the front
The spiral staircase that connects the floors
The balcony outside the Pine Room which offers a beautiful view of the green surroundings
The Bamboo Room which has a 4-poster bamboo bed
The modern bathroom attached to the Areca Room
The modern bathroom attached to the Orchid Room
View of the pine trees from the spiral staircase.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 18 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
BabuV52
“Highly recommend, we call it our second home.”
Reviewed March 27, 2017 for a stay in December 2016

we were a large family of 10 members, including children aged 8 to parents who were in their 70's, who booked the whole Sha Ri Loum homestay in Shillong. It had an excellent record for cleanliness, hospitability. The homestay is tucked away from the chaos of the city, yet easily accessible to all amenities. The host & their team where real caring, be it food, guidance, knowledge of local must things to do & we felt very homely. The 5 star amenities, including the indoor fireplace which speaks volumes about their warmth & affection towards the guests. We had the whole house, dining hall, garden space, ample parking space, all by our selves (unlike hotels, confined to one room), and everyone of family were highly indebted to this wonderful hospitality. Highly recommended.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Dear Babu V,
Thank you for taking your time out to write this great review. It was our pleasure to host you and your beautiful family. We look forward to seeing you again at Sha Ri Loum.
Warm Regards,
Farida
Mayur S
“Serene, beautiful & cosy place to rejuvenate your mind, body & soul”
Reviewed March 27, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Spent 15 days in this beautiful property. If you want to spend quality time with friends & family then this is the place to be Shillong.

Kudos to amazing host Farida & all the staff. Keep up the great work.

Warm Regards,

Mayur Sharma
Production Designer

Dear Mayur S,
Thank you so much for your generous review of Sha Ri Loum. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Farida
SAIBAL R
“My Experience.”
Reviewed March 26, 2017 for a stay in October 2016
person found this review helpful

For those who are looking for a place which is Serene, peaceful and relaxing I would highly recommend the experience. It was not my first visit to Shillong have stayed at different places each time. The experience at Shari Loum was different and to say the least exotic. Ambience of the place oozes class and from the moment you enter you get a vibe which is positive and reassuring. We were lucky that the owner was herself present to look after the minutest needs. The rooms are big,airy and most importantly cheerful.

Hospitality: the staff is very well behaved, cheerful and courteous.

Food:We had ordered for local food and was served very tasty Khasi cuisine.
Overall a five star experience with a personalized staff. The owner Farida is very courteous and gentle and goes the extra mile to look after the comfort of the guests.
Dont expect the ordinary at this place. It is exclusivity is its strength.

Mar 28, 2017
Thank you so much, Col. Saibal C, for your most generous and encouraging review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you at Sha Ri Loum again.
Aveg K
“Nightmare in Shillong”
Reviewed March 22, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

I won't be as generous as my friend in stating few good things about place specially after the irresponsible response from there management .....Instead of acknowledging the mistake and being apologetic the owner is as ruthless as she can be ....there are lies written all over it ....If you see amenities section it says TV available doesn't even mention that only two ....Secondly the geysers where the hell it says one two will function at one time and that two dependent on pump availability....Which toaster on Earth takes 10 minutes for two breads ...And top it up with in case you planning to leave early ...Won't it mean we will be stuck waiting for bread getting toasted for so many people ....Coming back to issue of police etc etc I think she should be thankful to us that we didn't register a cheating case against her ...Our booked place was being used by somebody else and that too without our permission ....Who on earth would accept that ...Would you Mrs Farida ? ....We adjusted we waited ...Not to hear such bullish comment from you ....If you want a Frank feedback about yourself try hearing it from your manager KK .....He will give you a good music to listen .....All this proves is there are still people in beautiful city like Shillong who want to cheat and earn money .....It's really a shame

Dear Ritu Gupta, Aveg K and Shalabh Rastogi,
Thank you for taking your time out to write us a review. We always appreciate your feedback, whether good or bad, as that helps us improve. It is very unfortunate that you did not have a good experience during your stay. We always try our best to make our guests comfortable and try to take care of their every need. In this regard I would like to address each of your complains one by one.
1. First of all I would like to clarify that I am not a cheat. You had booked our cottage 3 months ahead by paying only 7% of the total room rent and we had accepted your booking. We had even given you a 10% discount. I did not double book your rooms. All four rooms were ready for you when you checked in. We had allowed a film shoot to take place at our cottage because it was a film based on Meghalaya and our cottage suited their requirement of a typical modern Khasi home. It was not done for money. The Govt. of Meghalaya had approved the shooting of this movie anywhere in Shillong and it was an honour for us to be a part of this movie. The Producer of the movie had personally apologized to you for the delay in vacating our premises. They had promised to pack up and leave before your arrival. Unfortunately their shoot took longer than expected and that caused the delay. After you checked in they immediately started packing up. Your bedrooms were ready and I had requested you to allow the movie crew some time to pack up and leave. By the time you finished freshening up they would have packed up and left.
2. Dinner was prepared and ready to be served on time. The housekeeping staff had to clean the floors with Dettol as per your request and this was the reason for the delay in serving dinner.
3. The film shoot was not supposed to happen in our cottage during your stay. They were coming to complete the shoot after you checked out and they had already booked the entire house for that. I think you were wrong to assume that the house was double booked. You had access to the entire house, including the dining room, living room and the garden area during your stay. There was no other guest in the property.
4. Regarding the food, our cook has been with us since the time we opened up our home to travelers. We have always had good response when it comes to the food serve at our place. It may happen that the style of cooking here in the North East is different from your style of cooking.
5. Regarding breakfast, we did serve you parathas too. On the first day we served bread and omelette along with butter, jam and we also had corn flakes and milk on the table. The second day we served parathas. On the third and last day you were checking out early so we had no other option but to offer you bread and omlette again. Preparing anything else would have delayed your departure. We don't usually serve breakfast before 7 am. Our breakfast timings are from 7am to 10am.
6. We have clearly mentioned in our listing that TVs are available only in the 2 rooms upstairs. We did not mention TVs in the rooms downstairs.
7. As far as I know, our toaster (Morphy Richards make) is working normally. It might have been a little slow due to the fluctuating voltage, which is common in Shillong. That same toaster is still being used by our guests after you left and we have not had any complains.
8. Regarding hot water, we have installed electric geysers in all the four bathrooms. We also have a Solar Water Heater installed as a standby to ensure a steady flow of hot water even if there was a power cut. Water in Shillong gets very cold in winter and so it takes a little longer for the water to get hot. We request our guests to be a little patient and cooperate with us in this regard. We can't defy nature.
On the first day itself I had requested you to shift to another place if you found our services so bad and not up to your expectation. I had even offered to waive off any cancellation fee since you had not made any payment when you checked in. I was willing to forego the 3 days that you had booked our property. I had told you that I wanted you to enjoy your holiday in Shillong and wanted you to stay in a comfortable place. But you were not willing to leave. I had waived off Rs. 3500/- to compensate for the inconvenience caused to you. We tried our best and my staff went out of their way to make your stay comfortable. I'm very sorry that you were not satisfied in spite of all our best efforts.
shalabhwo...
Pune, India
“Worst Home Stay Ever”
Reviewed March 22, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

Very least to say is, Owener is a cheat, she double booked the Villa and wanted to earn double money.
Even though after booking the Villa in 3 months advance, she rented it out to shooting unit just for more money.
When we arrived on this place, it was all occupied by 60-70 people for film shooting.
Production manager told us that they have paid for this and already got the permission for shooting for 3 more days (i.e. all 3 days of our Stay i Villa ).
When called owner, she told us that rooms you can use and there should not be any problem. She didn't even bother to think that we have booked the full Villa including Dinning hall, living room on ground floor which was occupied by the UNIT.
After all argument Shooting Unit left by 10:30-11:00 and even after such a tiring journey to Shillong, we got our dinner served at 11:00 PM.
So called Manager K.K is a big loser and a manupulative guy and the Cook Bobby seems to have no idea of how to cook rice and simple daal.
Even after having 4 complementry Bfast options, cook always wanted to serve us Bread Omlette.

We asked owener to compensate for Day1 rent, she was so furious on this that she instructed her staff to serve us Dinner until we pay the full amount.
She even threatened to kick us out of the resort. Our 2 kids (3yr,7yr) slept hungry that night.
Being Gultiy of all mess she created, she agreed to give discount of 3000 rs.

Our experience to this Home stay was the worst. Just FYI - We have been staying in Home-Stay facilities since past 8-10 years, so we know the difference between a hotel and Home-Stay.

The Villa is beautiful but the Owner is money minded.
So think 1000 times before you plan your stay here.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Dear Ritu Gupta, Aveg K and Shalabh Rastogi,
1. First of all I would like to clarify that I am not a cheat. I think that's a very harsh word to use. You had booked our cottage 3 months ahead by paying only 7% of the total room rent and we had accepted your booking. We had even given you a 10% discount. I did not double book your rooms. All four rooms were ready for you when you checked in. We had allowed a film shoot to take place at our cottage because it was a film based on Meghalaya and our cottage suited their requirement of a typical modern Khasi home. It was not done for money. The Govt. of Meghalaya had approved the shooting of this movie anywhere in Shillong and it was an honour for us to be a part of this movie. The Producer of the movie had personally apologized to you for the delay in vacating our premises. They had promised to pack up and leave before your arrival. Unfortunately their shoot took longer than expected and that caused the delay. After you checked in they immediately started packing up. Your bedrooms were ready and I had requested you to allow the movie crew some time to pack up and leave. By the time you freshened up they would have packed up and left.
4. Regarding the food, our cook has been with us since the time we opened up our home to travelers. We have always had good reviews when it comes to the food serve at our place. It may happen that the style of cooking here in the North East is different from your style of cooking.
5. Regarding breakfast, we did serve you parathas too. On the first day we served bread and omelette along with butter, jam and we also had corn flakes and milk on the table. The second day we served parathas with sabzi. On the third and last day you were checking out early so we had no other option but to offer you bread and omlette again. Preparing anything else would have delayed your departure. We don't usually serve breakfast before 7 am. Our breakfast timings are from 7am to 10am.
Ritugupta...
Pune, India
“Horrible...stay away”
Reviewed March 18, 2017 for a stay in March 2017
people found this review helpful

I have recently been to this place with my family n friends, 10 people to be precise including 2 kids. We had booked the entire villa. Let me start with the good as there is always some good in each bad.

The Villa is very tastefully done. There are 2 bedrooms downstairs, which are quite small n 2 upstairs which are big. They have provided tea coffee maker in each room. The kitchen is outside the villa. The bathroom is also properly done with all toiletry holder, which is rare to find. The staircase has a nice big window where u can sit with a cup of Tea n chill. They have a nice fireplace in the hall which was a bliss in such cold weather.

Now let me come to my experience. This was the most painful, stressful stay I have ever had in all my years of travel. No matter how much I write in this review you cant imagine the mental trauma we had to go through.

The day we were to check in, we wanted to relax as we had a v long day of travel. When we arrived at 7 in the evening, to our horror, the villa was given for a Bollywood movie shoot with close to 60-70 ppl in the house. The place was such a mess. The movie dog also pooped in the hall which was like ... I have no words...

The so called owner was in touch with us the entire day but didn't have the courtesy to inform us about the situation. The shooting unit had no idea the villa was allocated to us. After regular requests, heated arguments with the manager n Farida, the unit finally left at 10.

The manager opened the rooms as soon as v came but the room on the lower floor was dirty as it was used by the unit. While me n my friend were standing in room, a person from the unit just walked in n used the loo without bothering that it was not for them to use.

Though we had informed the owner at 6:00PM that we wanted to have dinner, we were served dinner at 11 as the cook was busy cleaning n serving the unit. As it was soo late kids slept hungry. After the unit left, the staff took an hour to clean the house n make it livable.

Instead of spending the evening relaxing it was all wasted in fighting with the owner to get the house vacated. My husband had to work with the unit to ensure they take all r their stuff along. A Farida was off the opinion that anyways v ll b out in the day time for siteseeing so the unit can continue their shoot which was not at all acceptable to us. this was just the beginning of more stress.

The next day so called complimentary breakfast had only bread n eggs, that too their toaster was a joke. Farida was explaining to us about the toaster as if v r from some a stone age n hv never used one b4. Cornflakes were out of stock due to shooting. There was no hot water in the uppar rooms... we had to manage in 1 room for taking a bath causing delay to our entire schedule. When we told Farida that we faced issues with the breakfast n had no hot water, she spoke to her staff n in very bad taste asked us to leave. She was giving us gyaan on difference between homestay n hotel. Common this is not my first homestay but this was really pathetic. Staff forgot to turn on the pump n the external heater but blamed us fr not using the knobs correctly which again was a lie.

There are no TVs in the lower rooms or hall. Only upper rooms have which didn't make any sense.

When we returned to the resort at 9 in the night all tired n hungry, her staff broke on us for the balance payment... Again she fought with us horribly n finally asked us to leave. To add to the situation she stopped her staff from serving dinner till we didn't pay... Again waiting for dinner, my kids slept hungry. Dinner quality is really bad, avoid as far as possible.

On the day of check out his cook refused to give us anything except eggs n bread inspite of being 4 options in the menu... Again they fought with us for the breakfast n pending food payments... Farida again spoke extremely rude with us... Each n every step we were humiliated by asking to leave, even though we booked the place 3 months in advance.

Farida n her staff are very money minded n big cheats n frauds... The production unit also seemed to have refused to pay her due to all the confusion n trouble they had to go through.. Farida needs to shut down this place as she and her staff are incompetent to manage guests...

Big No for this place if u want to have a relaxing holiday...

Apr 16, 2017
Dear Rashmi, Ritu Gupta, Aveg K and Shalabh Rastogi,

On the first day itself I had requested you to shift to another place if you found our services so bad and not up to your expectation. I had even offered to waive off any cancellation fee since you had not made any payment when you checked in. I was willing to forego the 3 days that you had booked our property. I had told you that I wanted you to enjoy your holiday in Shillong and wanted you to stay in a comfortable place. But you were not willing to leave. I had waived off Rs. 3500/- to compensate for the inconvenience caused to you. We tried our best and my staff went out of their way to make your stay comfortable. If you found our place so bad I'm wondering why you did not leave after the first night itself. Why did you stay on for three days?
Owner of Sha Ri Loum
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing