“A heaven in Matheran”
Review of Radha Cottage

Radha Cottage
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Matheran
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My overall experience right from booking to check out was fantastic.

I decided on Radha Cottage solely after reading positive reviews on-line and I am glad I could give my family a great time.

I visited Radha cottage with my wife and 5 month old infant being super cautious about the room hygiene, overall property, food, hospitality and above all staff.
I did the booking on phone with Ms Vidula (owner) who is gem of a person and gave me a better deal than what i could see on-line. She is kind, soft spoken and also helped me decide on a honeymoon room/ cottage for my small family.

After visiting the place, we found the honeymoon room cozy but less spacious as what we expected looking at the on-line pics. This made my slightly uncomfortable at the first go as I also had my infant son along. Through the lady manager I spoke to Vidula Madam who acknowledged my concern and without much questions thankfully upgraded me to duplex Villa (partial possession though) since they were available. Now folks, this is something which I highly appreciate of Vidula Madam, lady manager and Radha cottage as this gave me a sense of what their motto are. Many thanks !!!

We then shifted to Cottage # 9, where we could access a bedroom, living room and a balcony. Overall both were appropriately maintained rooms but duplex Villas are awesome and very spacious for large families or bigger groups.

We stayed here for 3 nights. Every meal was pleasurable and big thanks goes to the seniors chef who is know as 'Mama'. Every dish prepared by him and his team was delicious and my taste buds still call for Mutton Masala. Food was authentic Maharashtrian thali with nice course with limited but adequate choices which is served on your table. I am a food lover and will rate then 5 / 5.
Best was, they were flexible in planning next meal in conjunction with what we would prefer (ofcourse in reasonable limits)

Staff boys are young, energetic and are very helpful. Raju is the senior person looking after everything at the property after the lady manager. Room service is timely.

They have a small garden area with couple of swings and a slide which is mainly a children's play area. Mobile network has limited access here which I loved as you don't really wanna be running around your ever buzzing phones while on vacation. Rooms are equipped with intercom and every reasonable amenity that I wished for at the given price.

I would rank their overall hospitality the best as I experienced Orange County (Coorg) here where their motto is guest's satisfaction and high quality service.

Only con side is Radha cottage is quite distant from the Matheran station which warrants around 20 mins of walk however its worth if you wish to be a closer to the nature with a good property.

Beware of your bags and other belongings with monkeys around.

Again, Thanks a a ton for taking care of my family and I will look forward to visit again in a distant future.

Room Tip: Go for Duplex if your pocket permits...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Prem p

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Haven't even begun the vacation yet...booked a Trip ID 1403281841 via Cleartrip since the hotel website had some glitches. Cleartrip agent wouldn't give me Radha Cottage's phone number, but called them himself and asked our questions and clarifications. We are a family of 4, with 1 child over 12 and 1 under 12. Specifically I asked how big each room is- we didn't want to be cramped - was 1 room in a Heritage bungalow big enough to accommodate all 4 of us? If not should we book 2 rooms I asked.
The agent clearly informed me there was just ONE double bed per room, so I'd need to book 2 rooms. Then he said I'd get the whole cottage (3 rooms) in my booking, they wouldn't put another family there. Quoted a rate of approx. Rs. 30,000 for 3 nights. When I pointed out the rates on the website were lower, he said those were for just 2 guests, this rate is for 4 guests.
Guess what? I did get the Radha Cottage number on the booking voucher they sent me (after I made my non-refundable payment)- and the very nice lady at Radha Cottage said we had paid for EIGHTEEN people!! She said each room can accommodate SIX people, there are 3 beds per room!!! I've been gypped...and to make matters worse, ClearTrip has not done anything about this. I was put on endless holds, the agent who made the booking tried to lecture me that I had myself asked for 2 rooms, and then said what can he do, the booking is non-refundable. When I insisted on a supervisor, he said one would call me back at 4 pm. I called again at 3:30 and was told a supervisor was working on my case and would call me between 4 and 4:15 pm today.
Unfortunately no call came and I am now stuck with a booking for 18 people - and having paid approx Rs. 30,000 for a holiday that should have cost Rs. 10,000.

This miscommunication is most likely the fault of Cleartrip, unless someone at Radha Cottage gave misleading information...but between them, the customer has wasted hours and lost a lot of money.

AVOID CLEARTRIP!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Shubhatole
Reviewed March 25, 2014

This is an wonderful place to stay in Matheran if you want to be away from the crowds and be a bit closer to nature. It has beautiful grounds and the rooms are spacious. The staff was very helpful and the food quite good. Note that it is quite a walk from the train station. If you have many bags and/or children to tend to you might consider a rick-shaw, horse, porter, etc.

Also note that the town of Matheran is somewhat trashy and carnival-like (although charming in its own way too) and has a loud party vibe at night. Hotel Radha Cottage and places like it are much better suited for those who want to go outside the town, hike, see nature/vistas, etc. Also, note monkeys are fierce - watch your bags & popsicles!

Room Tip: They offer a variety of rooms so ask to see what's available if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Megumi-Jason
Reviewed March 20, 2014

We visited 13th - 16th March! (Brits in cottage 1). Very good value, we took all-in package with excellent meals (veg or nonveg, thalli style). Great views into forest from veranda. Hotel at end of village so very quiet at night, though woken by monkeys on roof at about 7.30 each day. We came for birdlife and walking and Radha Cottage is the ideal place to stay for this. This is near end of dry season so hot during day but delightful cool breezes at night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foresttiger
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I and my wife had visited Matheran from 14th to 17th March 2014 & after a lot of deliberation, we had decided to book Radha cottage. We must say we do not regret one bit for staying in such a lovely place.
It was certainly value for money, the service was excellent and the food was very tasty.
Loved every bit of our stay there and we would recommend it for a peaceful and a relaxing stay for people who want to stay close to the nature and not in the crowded market place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Too far from the start point but ideal for stay with big group of friends....food also delicious...value for money...well maintained cottages...decent...not much facilities for recreation. ..but if u r in a group so doesnt matter much

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

3) Courteous Staff
4) Lip Smacking Food and very clean and least oily
5) Feeling: Absolutely homely in the midst of nature
6) Very Economical and Affordable
Almost a three star service.
Not a single mosquito in the Room despite the location......
Highly Highly recommended....