“Very Bad Experience”

The Byke Heritage - Matheran
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Matheran
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We visited Byke Matheran on 19th Jan 2013, This was my second visit. Three years back I went there with my Friends and colleagues. This time went with my family and stayed there. My previous experience was soo good that blindly I choosen this hotel for my weekend vacation. This visit shocked me from all perspective.
1.Pathetic food quality, even no much choice of food.in any of the meals you can not reorder what you like most.
2. Room service was not at all there. after requesting multiple time boys are not ready to listen. 3.Sports equpments are not at all in usable condition.
4. Swiming pool is so dirty that looking at dirtyness in pool you will not feel to get into the pool.
5. Last but not the least I felt This hotel like den for nuisance, groop of people are drinking openly in broad day light at pool side. no one cares for them no warning to them. In night disco was occupied by drunk people, after intimating to service people no one came to manage this nuisance. This time I felt that I wasted my time and money in this hotel. My family was not at all feeling comfortable in this hotel.

My suggestion to Byke management.

Food, Sports and family atmosphere are key element of Byke. Marwari and Gujrati are major customer of this hotel, Please take care of taste of people else this hotel will loose their charm and will damge reputation of this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank NaweenMuM

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We Stayed @ Byke for 2 nights from 25th - 27th Jan 13.

Before selecting this property i have checked many other hotels in matheran. But the availability of 24 hrs Hot n cold water makes me decide about this property.

Bit away from station app 1.5 Km. Still it has a good location.Charlotte lake is app 1KM away. The property is huge and greenery all around.

Several programmers are organized in the evening (Housie, games, Live Music with Dinner etc)

Food was incl (Breakfast, Lunch, snacks, Dinner). They provide only Veg. Food was OK OK.
Rooms were quite specious and clean.

Matheran is all about Monkeys.There are lot of monkeys but they don't bother u much.

There is no Mobile Network Coverage , Complete Peace of Mind..that makes the place more peaceful in already peaceful Matheran.

Overall we had a excellent Holiday at Byke.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed January 16, 2013

With a longish Christmas weekend approaching, we were debating various getaway options when we came across the Byke property. The idea of spending time in a heritage property in the Matheran hills appealed to us and we hoped it will offer something for the entire family.

We hired a cab from Mumbai upto Dasturi naka (beyond which no vehicles are allowed) via Pune Mumbai Expressway & Karjat, which cost us about Rs.2250 one way. From there while we initially had thought about taking the Toytrain, tickets for the next train were full and we then decided to ride up the hill on the horses till the market instead of walking up all the way. The property itself is a little away from the market place but once you reach it after a longish walk, the beauty of the place drove the tiredness away.

Post a good nap, we went around the place, which attracted the kids not just because of a large monkey population but also the 2 swimming pools, rain dance arrangements & the play areas. In the evening, the hotel had arranged for tea & snacks by the pool followed by 'Housie' & Hindi film songs rendered live, which was much appreciated by the Older folk. Post the dinner buffet (although not too many options in ala carte menu), it was time to check out the Discotheque in the hotel premises.

The next day we set out to see the different scenic points on horseback first and then walk through their markets. The railway station situated in the market centre had an old world charm and also got a chance to take some impressive stamps in the post office nearby. The food at the various restaurants in the town was also pretty good. Post the evening games & after a long tiring day, we retired to bed early.

During our return the next day, we decided to trek alongside the railway track which offers some amazing views of the valley and is much faster rather than walking down the normal road. All in all, it turned out to be a memorable trip for the entire family

Room Tip: Rooms away from the pool
Reviewed January 1, 2013

*** Review provided is purely based on my experience - you are free to agree or disagree ***
ABOUT MATHERAN
Unlike any other Hill Station, Matheran is very different.
* Approxi 90 KMs from mumbai.
* NO Vehicles are allowed inside Matheran. (Including Bicycles).
* Dasturi Naka is the last place till which you can drive your vehicle.
* From Dasturi Naka, you have couple of choice to travel till Matheran market/town.
1. Hire a Horse or a hand rickshaw (rate varies from 150 to 400 - depending on your bargain power. Hand rickshaw are costlier compare to horse as it needs atleast two person to pull/push - takes 45 mins to reach Matheran Railway station/Market).
2. Walk some half a km+ till "Aman Lodge" station. From here you can get a shuttle train till Matheran Market. Train starts as soon as all the seats are occupied. Approxi every hour. (rate 25 2nd Class - takes approxi 30-45 mins)
* Mode of transport within the town is by walk or horse/hand rick.
* Matheran has red soil so get a pair of shoes which u dont mind to get dirty.
* Climate was bit hot. Need to operate AC from 11 AM till eve 5 PM.
* Lot of monkeys so take care of hand bags/ cam and eatables.
* Sight scene where not that attractive. (May be I was comparing them with ooty/kodai/darjeeling.
* Natives are very courteous.

ABOUT THE BYKE HOTEL.
* Approxi 1.5 Kms from Railway Station/Market.
* Developed in pretty huge area. (it was built in 1854)
* Provides all meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks, Dinner) - Charges included in tariff
* ONLY VEG Food. Gujarati/Rajasthani cusine.
* Several programs are organized in the eve till night 11 (Housie, Magic Show, Puppet Show, Party Games, Live music)
* Majority of the visitors at Byke are Jains/Gujjus.
* Staff is courteous but don't expect 5 star standards.
* Property is not maintained up to the mark. Its average.
* We stayed in room type - Odessey. Perfect for family stay. It has one private room and a dorm. Bit away from pool so calm & quite.
* If you are in a big group and love to dance and be loud - its the best place to be.

*** Personally I wont recommend Matheran for honeymooners & couples.
*** A good place to spent some time with nature and Family/Friends.

Room Tip: If you don't like loud music, ask for a room which is away from Pool side. Odyssey are best sui...
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Matheran i is very beautiful

Bykes has one of good location in Matheran in terms of view, but those travelling with senior citizens is not recommended as it is quite far from station

Nice hotel with good staff who offered good service. Rooms were well equipped; with all the basic facilities and clean; maintained clearness across the hotel

Overall an good hotel, had a pleasant stay, no regrets. Just to make a mention it is away from the market area but

there is no Mobile Network Coverage , Complete Peace of Mind..that makes the place more peaceful in already peaceful Matheran. But some times you should be touch with your relative so need the coverage and even you can not trust land line

But over all good hotel with good experiences with veg food

Room Tip: check the rooms before you take if you have booked online , and even check the view or location of t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ranesachin777
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was our first trip to Matheran and we planned it in the last hour. After looking at tripadvisor and making calls to first ten of the ranked hotels only to discover all of them were already booked :( Finally went for Byke and they did have accommodation in their "Luxury Deluxe A/C" room. I was little unsure about this resort as I saw it in Rank 14 and more to it, I read the negative feedback here on TripAdvisor like "Fungus on wall, food was pathetic and got good infection" etc. But I was desperate to visit Matheran and of course in the last hour I didn't see any other choice. Well so went for Byke and of course told my husband, it would be 50-50 kind off. Considering my adamant nature he okied it. It was for 3 nights and 4 days.

We went by local train to Neral and then took a taxi to Dasturi. From there took a horse ride to Byke resort. Here goes the experience.

TripAdv neg feedback Vs my Experience:
=================================

TripAdv Feedback: There was only one guy in reception trying to contact head office and manage things...
Fact: Fact is, there were three people in the reception and attended to us very well. Fourth one immediately walked to us with a glass of juice. My first doubt was cleared right there. Fifth one came and offered to carry our luggage to our rooms.

TripAdv Feedback: Rooms were not clean and had fungus on walls.
Fact: Our room was very clean and very spacious. Bathroom were spacious and geysers worked well to get hot water. There was TV, AC, Telephone. Welcome kit with Towels, Soap, Shampoo, Moisturizers. Bed, Sofa, Chest of Drawers, and a small attached room with Almera and lockers. Wooden hangers (antique I guess) to dry clothes.

TripAdv Feedback: Food was bad and some claimed about food infections.
Fact: We checked in at 12:15 PM. 12:30 was lunch time. I was really getting scared. I really risked it all. Still we went there. Food was pure veg. And Jain food is also available. Lunch was on North Indian Thali system in the dinning hall. Whereas breakfast and dinner were on open garden as buffet system. Believe me lunch was very tasty. It had two sweets, unlimited rotis, three gravied side dishes, one vegetable curry, dhal fry, curd, butter milk, papad, samoza/some gujrathi snacks, steamed rice, salads. I might have missed one or two. My husband who is food critic, gave his feedback after lunch that food is real good there. Now about food infections, we all are back hale and healthy. This feedback goes for breakfast and dinner too. It was just great.

TripAdv Feedback: Entertainment and fun games were there.
Fact: Yes I agree. Mornings they have pool side activities pre lunch time. We were not particular about water activities as we had a toddler. So we didn't get into it. But pools were clean and crystal clear water. I did see many plunging into it and having fun. Besides they had some activities for children ( like we see in amusement parks). Besides carom board, Pool, and kits for tennis, badminton are available.

Besides at 6 PM they do their Tambola/Housie game every day. I got to win on one of the three days we stayed. And at 7 to 10:30 they have variety games and entertainment:

Day 1: Tambola, Magic Show, Karoke (Melodious old hindi songs)
Day 2: Tambola, Puppet show, Couple and Children party games, Karoke(Melodious old hindi songs)
Day 3: Tambola, Couple and Children party games, Karoke(Melodious old hindi songs)

I got win in one of the party games. Hence back home with two prizes :)

At 10 PM parallely to Karoka, starts the Disco as well inside the Disco room. We didn't go for it anyways. Rather chose to retire into the room.

And more to it, the third day, we were delivered a "CHIKKI gift pack" to our room. It had 12 varieties of chikki, with 3 pieces in each variety wrapped in a rectangular box. Chikkis tasted good.

TripAdv Feedback: Huge area and average maintenance:
Fact : Huge area is right. As far as maintenance is concered, it is very good for the areas where people predominantly use. Like rooms, garden area, pool side etc. Those extra lands which were on the border and exteriors where people hardly go into were left uncared for. But this doesn't bring down the quality of experience in the resort.

TripAdv Feedback: Monkeys and stray dogs were nuisance
Fact : Matheran means monkeys. This one has to understand when you visit that place. Monkeys were seen during day time but during the night they never turned up. But they have placed a security just to watch and turn away monkeys on the pool side/buffet area. You can't stop monkeys in Matheran, unless you have chosen a badly confined place to your stay. But atleast I can say this aspect was taken care of and they give you enough warning about it. Strays I did spot one running around on my third day. But next day I didn't notice it.

Overall Byke has been a good experience and it is worth the money you are paying. I had never been to any other resort in Matheran so far and hence cannot compare. But atleast I had a good experience for sure.

5  Thank Vaishnavi_g
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Nice hotel with good staff who offered an excellent service. Rooms were well equiped; lovely bathroom with all the basic facilities and clean; maintained very good hygiene across the hotel. Food at lunch and dinner was tasty and the spread was good, breakfast spread could have been better though.
Overall an excellent hotel, had a pleasant stay, no regrets. Just to make a mention it is away from the market area but that makes the place more peaceful in already peaceful Matheran.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matheran
Hotel Kumar Plaza
Radisson Blu Resort & Spa Alibaug
Discover Resorts
Discover Resorts
#1 of 1 in Dhamote

Been to The Byke Heritage - Matheran? Share your experiences!