“Disappointed”

The Lakehouse Inn
Cleveland, Ohio
“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was treated to this place by my sister for a celebration/remembrance/reconnect sort of weekend.
The Room - It was extremely small and was not as secluded as we had requested due to hearing issues. It was relatively clean except for the carpeting. The bathroom was very, very small and the door didn't close all the way.
The Staff - The young ladies at the restaurant were very nice, however it seemed as though the owner who kept a more than needed watchful eye over EVERYONE would rather you not chit chat with the help.
The Food - The first night we ordered from the restaurant and had a scallop appetizer and lobster bisque. We suggested that it all be brought out at the same time but we were told that the "chef" likes to "plan" the meal and he might not like that so we laughed and said it would be fine that they come separately. The scallops were good we got 4 and the lobster bisque was more like a watered chowder but tasted fine. The second night we had the wine pairing dinner that came with the inn's package which was average. It consisted of pork medallions, creamy mushroom risotto, squash type soup, salad, and dessert. Not being a pork eater I just tasted the edge of a medallion it was good as was the risotto. The salad was under dressed. The worst was the dessert which tasted like canned fudge frosting with a dollop of whipped cream on top. We never ate the complimentary breakfast that came with the package because we had snacked late the first night and didn't want to be "eyeballed' by the owner on day two.
The SPA - A bit pricey, however the staff was very nice and we were able to talk and laugh with them because the owner wasn't peering at us from a corner.
Experience - For the wine pairing dinner we were seated with 3 young couples that purchased the same package. We were laughing and talking...nothing vulgar just friendly but apparently too loud for the owner's wife who came over to scold us for being too loud and drawing the attention of a toddler at the next table. We were appalled that a table of adults that have paid several hundred dollars (ours exceeded $600) for a weekend get away would be reprimanded because a toddler (who has no business being at a winery/liquor bar to begin with) was watching. Mr. & Mrs. Lakehouse should be grateful for the business this time of year especially when they offer no entertainment of any sort nor shuttle service to other wineries that do offer entertainment.
The only thing this winery has going for it is the magnificent view of Lake Erie that can be enjoyed from their beautifully stoned terraces.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank shellzbellz2
Andrea B, Manager at The Lakehouse Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I was very sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay. I know that the Living Social package only included the traditional rooms which are just a bedroom and nothing larger like one of the suites. I’m sorry that there were no upgrades available at that time.

I’m glad that our staff made such a good impression on you as we truly go out of our way to make sure that everyone is enjoying their stay. On the night of the Living Social dinner where there were quite a few people at the one table you were seated at, everyone was enjoying themselves, but we had a couple of adjacent tables ask us to intervene and ask that your table be a tad quieter. I apologize if it came across as scolding or directed at you, it was not meant to be at all. We were just trying to ensure that everyone in attendance in the whole restaurant would have an enjoyable experience. I appreciate that you took the time to tell us that you liked the food but not the dessert. All of this information helps us to make changes as needed.

I am so glad that you loved the spa as those ladies are wonderful at what they do and they enjoy giving their clients service beyond compare. I would just like to say that I’m sorry your overall experience was not what you expected, but we wish you both the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I really like the place, but most of the power went out in our room, when we called they fixed it right away but when we said thank you a man said in a mean voice Don't run everything! We were just watching tv, really I think I paid to atleast have power! Whatever!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Christinasanders
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I got my boyfriend and I a night here as his Christmas gift. I got the Pre-weekend package, which included one night and dinner, winemaker's tour, and breakfast. We also got a deal where if we bought a bottle of wine, we could get either a free small pizza or cheese tray. It was a nice touch! The rooms in the B&B were nice, but the bathrooms are very small. The beach is lacking, but it still looked very pretty and I can only imagine how nice it is in the summer!

The restaurant was great, except the perch :( the perch was very bland which was disappointing because the other food was terrific! The pizza is wood fired, and was definitely the best pizza we have ever had!

All in all, we would definitely go back :)

Room Tip: Get a suite or the beach house for more room!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caitlin R
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Came here for New Year's Eve. Staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was included with the room, and was quite tasty. We had a cottage. Nice bedrooms, living area a bit small, probably only noticed that because it's winter and we were stuck inside. Only cons were the tiny shower, the lack of outlets in the kitchen, and the paper thin walls. We had a group of younger people next to us, and they were pretty loud, but since it was NYE, we didn't complain. Overall, a good experience, and the view of the lake is amazing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Canton, OH
Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was our second time staying at The Lakehouse Inn. Our room was very comfortable, we had a great meal at the Crosswinds Grille and a wonderful breakfast the next morning. The House was decorated beautifully for the holiday season. The staff works extremely hard to ensure a wonderful experience from beginning to end. We didn't try the Day Spa, but we talked with a couple who did--and they were very impressed. We look forward to trying that on our next visit in the very near future!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a night at The Lakehouse Inn. After a wonderful day enjoying the wine trail - it was a fabulous spot to spend the night. The staff at the Inn were very pleasant from the moment we checked in. This was our first trip to the area and we'll definently be back! There is no question that we will return to this gem.

• Stayed December 2012
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I come to Geneve-on-the-Lake at least three times a year and will never come to this winery again. I found a Living Social voucher and called before buying it. I spoke with Cheryl who GUARANTEED that I could rent the Beach House with an additional fee. When I called back to make the reservation they tell me Cheryl was wrong. I explained that the only reason I bought the voucher was because Cheryl told me I could rent the Beach House. This was also explained to Cheryl before purchase. After talking to two additional people I was refused booking of the Beach House. Thank you, I am not out $250. I will make it a point to tell everyone I know about this.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrea B, Owner at The Lakehouse Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I’m so sorry that we had an error in communication. I know that you were so excited about purchasing our special discounted package with Living Social to bring your husband here to enjoy some time away. When you called and asked if the Beach House was available for the dates you mentioned I did say yes. When you spoke about the Living Social you asked how much would it cost to upgrade to the Beach House and I told you $100. I’m sorry if I failed to communicate the rest of the information to you to understand that ONLY IF the Beach House was unoccupied when you arrived could you upgrade to that.

If you read the return policy stated on your voucher you will see that LivingSocial gives you up to 30 days to return your unused escapes voucher for a full refund.

With sincerest apologies,
Cheryl Connors
Front Desk Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Sleep Inn & Suites Ashtabula
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Ashtabula-Geneva

Been to The Lakehouse Inn? Share your experiences!