“Nice view, forget the rest”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Check in was super fast and courteous. Wine package we purchased was not in our room as promised, had to call front desk to request. They delivered it promptly, but ruined the surprise factor of it. Dinner was pretty bad, appetizers of Walleye and bruschetta bread were good, but our entrees were very overcooked, chewy and lukewarm. Pool area was decent. We were awakened around 4:30 am by some incredibly loud folks on the same floor, walls must be made of tissue paper. Constantly heard people opening up their slider doors to balcony's all thru the night. Our slider door had a makeshift broom handle that substitued for a lock. Went to breakfast the day of checkout and it was better than dinner the previous night. Definately has a great view of the lake with plenty of room to walk about, but to be honest, we probably won't stay here again. Just not worth hearing everyone on your floor - we came hoping for a nice relaxing night and were sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,414)

Reviewed October 28, 2009

I loved how large the room was. The room also was very close to the pool and the trail and had an outdoor patio. The beds were VERY comfortable too. Although we had to nag the cleaners for more towels, which took a very long time.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We had a pleasant experience with relatively clean rooms and friendly service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The restaurant has sub par food and just awful service. I had to get up from our sweetest day dinner and go to the bar to get another drink. The entrees were poorly prepared and not what I expected at all. My last trip to the lodge six months ago was less than great and I said it would be my last time - after this experience I will definitely will never return.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dwsign
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My sister and I had a wonderful time at Geneva-by-the-Lake, our room was very nice, had plenty of room, comfortable beds, wonderful service in both the hotel and restaurant. The food was excellent every meal. We had a great time riding the guest bikes and walking along Lake Erie. We both would have liked to stay a few days, but had to travel on.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JHJ217
Reviewed September 12, 2009

This place was phenomenal! Beautiful setting, lovely rooms, great restaurant, wonderful views, terrific indoor pool, lovely walking paths right along the lake, sunsets beyond belief...and not far from a really cute town. Peaceful but plenty to do in the area. Not inexpensive, but really worth the money!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2009

My sister and I did an overnight getaway at the Lodge. It is in a lovely location on Lake Erie. The lodge itself is very pretty and new. Our room was nice, clean and comfortable, and we had our own little patio facing the ourdoor pool, which was a nice plus. Everyone who worked there was pleasant and helpful. There was a wedding on the lawn and it was quite a beautiful setting. Free parking.

We had massages which were good but pricey-- $50 + gratuity for a 25 minute Swedish. Nice little spa room too.

I enjoyed a bike ride. They offer free use of cool old fashioned bikes with coaster brakes and it is really no hassle to get one. You just sign up at the front desk and you can use one whenever you like during your stay.. Thre is a very short (2 miles), extremely easy (no hills), wide, paved bike path that anyone could ride. It is mostly along the water and the views are really nice.

We ate in the Horizons Restaurant twice. Dinner was great. We had battered Great Lakes perch with good potatoes, an unusual cole slaw, and a bottle of local wine (Ferante Reisling, the only one I tasted that I liked). ($58 including the bottle of wine--reasonable!) We had the breakfast buffet the next morning. I had an omelette and it was good but my sister had eggs that were yucky and french toast what was hard. We used the pool and hot tub, very nice, with a great view of the lake.

The wine tour was weird. The good part was that there was a van for $10 per person that the lodge offered. The driver was very nice and you just called him to take you from one winery to another. He did a good job.

However, I have only done wine tastings on cruises and wine tours in California and was accustomed to being served a variety of samples (and a place to pour out what you don't like) having a brief tour of the facility, and a cracker or something between tastes. Then you get a little loaded and buy a case! This was not like that. Our first stop, as recommended by Tristen, our driver, was the Harpersfield Winery. We were told (quite nastily) that the wine tasting ended at 6PM (but the wine tour offered by the Lodge was 4-11PM--kind of odd). So it was a situation where they let you taste a dribble and then waited for you to order by the glass, which we did, one glass each. I didn't think the wine was very good. We sat outside and there was a band, which was nice enough but not what I expected. Next we went to Ferrante Winery. They offered a tasting tray with about 8 wines on it for $5, but you had to ask for it. It wasn't advertised. I didn't like any of the wine except the Reisling. They also had a band and a full menu. We drank our little shots and ended our tour there, went back to our room, and drank a bottle we bought from home!

The next morning we went to the little town of Geneva-on-the-Lake. I'll review that on a forum or something. It was quite an unusual place!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank PennWanderer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
The Lakehouse Inn
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Holiday Inn Express Ashtabula-Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!