“Stayed for a wedding weekend, great views , location and food”

and 1 more site!
The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

This was a lovely setting for a weekend wedding. I would return my own. Outdoor firepits/heaters make it easy to take advantage of the outdoors spring and fall. . They rent bikes and are on the bike trail w easy access to the lake front area. Very nice property.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank mollyd2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,416)

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Just visited the hotel for their Mother's Day Brunch and the breakfast part of the buffet was great, while the lunch/dinner side was not so much. They only had 3 dishes (+ carving station) to choose from and nobody in my party had anything from that side. The desserts were no good at all and again very limited in selection. We've been to these kind of functions before and they keep getting worse. Upon bringing our bill the waitress charged us for my 5 year old who ate next to nothing anyway but also according to their website 5 and under eat free. I remembered that specifically reading that thinking I can't believe they want to charge 16.99 for a 6 year old (that was the highest price I saw for brunch anywhere else I've been or looked). So I asked the waitress why she was charging us that, and she said oh it's 4 and under that eat free. I said not according to your website. So she went and got the manager who again said No mam' it's 4 and under, so I then pulled out my phone and showed the manager their own website for her to see. She didn't apologize or say anything she just went to the register and our server came back with a new bill, this time for 4 adult buffets (we had 3 adults and 1 child in our party). So i said you charged my card for 4 adult buffets, there are only 3 of us and 1 child here. The waitress had to go get her manager again to fix our bill, and she then came over telling me to sign the check and write in the correct amount. Never once did she (THE MANAGER) apologize for all the confusion or the time she wasted of ours doing all this nothing! It was no big deal to her, and I was very disappointed and upset. At least the waitress had the decancy to come over and offer her apologies. Here I am trying to treat my mom and grandma to a nice brunch and we get nothing but headaches and hassle.. Not a great way to bring back people to your establishment.

I have stayed at this hotel before a few times. It's nice and newer in comparison to most places in the area. If I did stay at the hotel again, I would steer clear of Horizons, I'd rather eat at Eddie's on the strip after the grief they gave me.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kristadylan
Daisy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear Kristadylan-

Thank you for sharing your experience. On a busy day like Mother’s Day, when we serve hundreds of guests, our team does try to make each and every encounter seamless and enjoyable. We were ecstatic to be able to hold the Mother’s Day Brunch in the restaurant this year to afford our guests a lovely view of Lake Erie.

The extensive menu was primarily breakfast items until 10am, at which time we added lunch items including 4 main entrees, appetizers, soups, salads, a sirloin carving station as well as 5 dessert options. I am sorry the items offered this year did not meet your expectations.

This event was priced the same as in years past at $29.99 for adults and just $14.99 for children ages 6-12. For this price we actually provided added value by offering many more options than in past years when the event was simply a lunch buffet rather than a full Brunch buffet. However, this pricing was in line with many nearby restaurants and was even lower than our counterparts at a nearby resort.

We also increased the age of the children’s price this year allowing 5 year old children to dine for free. This may have been the source of confusion regarding your bill, and for that I do apologize. Though I am glad our restaurant supervisor was able to assist in correcting your bill while verbally offering her apologies for the inconvenience.

We have already spoken to your server from that day and provided additional training to improve customer satisfaction. I certainly hope this one instance will not impede you from returning to The Lodge for holiday events. Thank you again for your comments, we truly appreciate all feedback and take it as a genuine opportunity to meet all of our guest’s expectations.

Sincerely, Daisy Hall

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Here for a large meeting. The lodge is right on Lake Erie with great places to walk or run or sit. Rooms were comfortable. Large meeting food was OK, not great. Cell service was dicey at best. The wireless was out for most of a day. Made it easier to relax and be away, but impossible to connect when you needed to. A bit understaffed with a large group all checking in at the same time. They knew we were coming, could have been better prepared.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is a fantastic place to stay! Just a short walk to the strip where there is lots to see and do! The restaurant is excellent. The staff is very friendly and accommidating. I went May of 2012 and am going back June of this year and I can't wait. The pool is awesome and so is the hot tub! It's only an hour from Cleveland and there is tons to do there. My friends and I had a great time! We are going to make it a yearly "girls getaway". You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: The rooms with a view of the lake are the best!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank amybliss
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The location of the Lodge is unbeatable. I simply wish the architecture design could be more a wide A shape to accommodate more rooms to be lake front . The view from the swimming pool is awesome. The on-site restaurant offered the best breakfast in town with beautiful view as well. It is very close to the state park nearby, take a afternoon walk by the lake shore is quiet relaxing treat of the trip.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank LDING2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just completed a 2 night romantic getaway to the lodge and were very disappointed with the facility. The place attempts to cater to too many different audiences with conflicting expectations. While it is a great escape with the kids to use the pool and recreational facilities, it is NOT a romantic getaway. The rooms are noisy with tired stained furniture. A hot shower was not possible either morning we were there. The one high point was the breakfast buffet ..... excellent food and service. Restaurant and front desk personnel made it a point to know who you were, by name. Too bad their efforts were over shadowed by personnel in the lounge and other places in the lodge. For the money paid at the lodge, there were other lodging options in Geneva that offered a greater value for a getaway, inclusive of lake front properties with sole occupancy. Look before you leap if your goal is romance!

Room Tip: Go to the top floor ..... you have a chance since no one is above you!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stacksEriePa
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The room housing the restaurant is lovely. The hostess was pleasant, and showed us to a table overlooking the lake at sunset, when I asked for it, though she originally showed us to a table behind a large barrier blocking all view of the lake. There were two other parties seated about 7 on a Wednesday night. There is a kind of disconnect between the elegance of the room and the formica tables with ketchup bottles. I got chicken and rice with apricot sauce and my friend got steak. It was ok, though not great. The view was great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Margray_53
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
The Lakehouse Inn
The Lakehouse Inn
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!