“nice rooms & restaurant, great views”

The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The guest rooms at the Lodge are nicely-furnished, with an armchair & desk w/ chair in the king bed rooms. The bed was comfy, albeit with foam pillows. The bathroom had marble tile on the floor, a curved shower board, and a Keurig coffee maker. We had a balcony room with a beautiful view of the pool and lake. The balcony had two chairs and a small table, perfect for relaxing, but partially unusable on the warm day we visited due to the warm exhaust from the in-room AC.

We ate at the restaurant (Horizons) for dinner and breakfast and enjoyed both meals. The restaurant is pretty, with views of the lake, and the menu had a nice variety. We particularly enjoyed the wine list, with nice choices of both Ohio and non-Ohio wines at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet was particularly inventive, with made to order omelets with interesting cheeses, potato pancakes, and pancakes stuffed with apples.

The grounds are very pretty, with a pool, playground, and a short walking trail along the lake. It's also easy to walk from the Lodge into town.

The only real downside was the wireless Internet. It was slow when we arrived, very slow at 10pm, and broken the next morning. We don't know if this was a one-time event or a common occurrence, but if you need reliable Internet access you might want to check more reviews to see if Internet issues are mentioned. We definitely found this frustrating and is the primary reason we can't give a five-star review.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a full balcony and a lake view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank walkerbob
There are newer reviews for The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at the lodge, The room was very large with King Bed, couch, 2 chairs, table and more. Very modern and clean. We had the B&B package and the food was great. We went on the wine shuttle and it was well worth the 15 bucks. Everyone very freindly and help us with local restrant ideas and locations to visit. Very nice view of the lake but you have to walk to the
public beach, They have 2 very nice swiming pools which is better to swim in than Lake Erie.
The pool lounge did close up because she was not busy ( see was young) but we made do.
I will go back for long week end to vist town and wine shuttle.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Don't get me wrong, there wasn't much WRONG per-say with the Lodge, I'm just not sure it was worth my money. We were staying at the Lodge over Labor Day weekend for a wedding which was being held there. We were late booking our room, so all they had left was a "King Suite with a Lake View". The "King Suite" was essentially a room with more square footage, and one king sized bed. Technically if I walked out on the balcony, I could see the lake, but really the view from our room was the patio from the resturaunt.

The staff at the Lodge were very friendly and helpful, but I'm not sure that I felt my money was well spent.

1  Thank shelly875
Reviewed August 30, 2012

First off, let me state that I DID NOT stay at The Lodge.

I made reservations well in advance for a long weekend vacation for our anniversary. We travel I-90 often, and saw the signs for Geneva-on-the-Lake. I thought it would be a nice surprise for my girlfriend to book a couple nights, especially since there was a dinner theater happening at The Landing that sounded fun. I couldn't find any hotels that seemed "special enough" until I came across The Lodge. It was extremely pricey for October on Lake Erie, but I figured I'd bite the bullet and surprise her with an extravagant stay.

Then I ran across the reviews on TripAdvisor that said the rooms weren't anything special, and that the service was subpar. I got nervous, because I wanted the weekend to special. I decided to email The Lodge for some assurances that problems were being addressed.

I got a relatively quick response from "Eva", the Front Desk Supervisor. Unfortunately, it wasn't really a response. Eva had intended to forward my email on the Daisy Hall (who is responding to bad reviews on here quite often recently) and simply replied to me instead. I emailed Eva back and told her about the mistake she had made. Unfortunately, that was the last time I heard from The Lodge, so 2 days later I canceled my reservation.

At the prices The Lodge is charging, I expected much more from The Lodge than it appears they are able to offer.

We're going to Baltimore instead and staying in the inner harbor at a Hilton Garden Inn. The package includes admission to the science center, the National Aquarium, the Top of the World Observation Level, Sports Legends at Camden Yards and American Visionary Arts Museum.

And I'm still saving $75 over the cost of my cancelled trip to The Lodge.

3  Thank Parksy52
Daisy H, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Parksy52-

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am disheartened that you canceled your two night stay at The Lodge without ever even visiting the property to see who we truly are and what we have to offer. I am also sorry that the response I sent to you on August 30th did not reach you in time and was not considered acceptable customer service.

We work hard every day to meet guests’ expectations and strive to provide the best customer service possible- though it is inevitable that we are not perfect and in some instances have fallen short of our goals. We have also been adding and improving amenities, rooms and furnishing year after year based on customer response and an endeavor to continually improve for our guests’ benefit.

A mishap response from one person at the front desk certainty does not represent our customer service as a whole. My response to you just two days after you sent your initial inquiry, prior to you canceling your room, explained this and offered to make your stay more enjoyable with a complimentary upgrade to one of our best two room suites for the miscommunication on our part.

You are correct, I do reply to many guest comments. It is important to us as a global hospitality company to create lasting relationships with our guests so they can be certain that we are a company they can trust when looking for a getaway, event or vacation destination.

If a guest has had a less than perfect experience, we want to ensure that whatever the case- that experience never happens again and that all guests are left with a satisfied feeling that we did everything in our power to exceed their expectations. I am sorry we did not get that opportunity with you.

Sincerely yours,
~Daisy Hall

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at the Lodge for a class reunion. The weekend was wonderful. We had hospitality rooms on Friday and Saturday just outside the pool area. Everyone brought lawn chairs to catch up with classmates. Our room was on third floor with a great view of pool/lake. The room was large with king size bed and seating area. We were pleased to have a refrigerator also. It was a very nice accommodation for the weekend.

Took advantage of our free time and walked by the lake/marina. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. Everyone we met were extremely nice. We had the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning. It was delicious. Staff in restaurant were very friendly and accommodating. On Saturday evening we had a catered dinner in one of the banquet rooms. Food was good, again staff very good.

We are from Ohio but this area was new to us. While the "strip" is what it is, we felt there were a lot of families and everyone was pleasant. The wineries were very interesting. We enjoyed several of them. This is a great place for a get-a-way trip. We would return.

Room Tip: We received a little discount for booking with a larger block of rooms. Felt the rate was a little...
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and 2 small children recently stayed for 3 nights at The Lodge. We opted for the lake view room and were glad that we did. We were on the bottom floor so had a walk-out patio with a couple of chairs and a small table. We enjoyed sitting outside and watching the lake. Our kids had a nice grassy area to play in plus the gazebo. To the left you can see the restaurant with outdoor seating but not at all noisy. There were benches all along the walking path by the lake. Again, very nice to sit on the benches to watch the lake. Also, there are beautiful sunsets!

All employees were very nice, our room was clean. It was a nice surprise that our room had a Keurig coffee maker. If I'd have known, I would have brought extra coffee from home but there was also complementary coffee each morning by the restaurant.

The Horizons restaurant was average. We thought it was a bit pricey for the quality of food received. We only dined there once.

The gift shop sells local Ohio wines, wine glasses and other accessories. I would definitely recommend trying the wines and visiting the wineries.

If you are traveling with children, The Lodge has an indoor pool that starts at 2 ft so its great for small children. There is also an outdoor pool (I think starts at 3 ft.), a splash pad and 2 hot tubs. There is also a nice playground area. The "strip" is within walking distance and has several mini-golf courses, arcades, water slides, restaurants, etc.

Overall, my family had a great time! Our only concern was the price of the food in all of the restaurants that we went to. We brought snacks with us and had a refrigerator in our room so that did save a little on the food costs.

I hope this review will be helpful.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank OSU_MOM_OF_2
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The staff was friendly enough at check-in, but don't try before 3 PM. Weddings in the hotel, and bachelorette party across from our room. If you are a light sleeper, if you are near the elevators don't plan on sleeping before Midnight. The music from the bar sounds like it is just outside your door. Front desk mans the gift shop so if they are busy don't be in a hurry. For the price, the room is average, the TV is terrible. The shower had hair in it too. Nice walking trails along the lake, other than that I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try for lake view
1  Thank Gary B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
#1 of 3 in Geneva on the Lake
Motel 6 Geneva
Motel 6 Geneva
#1 of 2 in Geneva

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!