“A Fun Family Place!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia
“A Fun Family Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This State Park Lodge was a real find for us when looking to stay for a few days over the Fourth of July holiday at a reasonable distance distance from home. The real bonus was that we were able to bring our ten-year old small dog along! Beautifully situated on Lake Erie, our very comfortable and impeccably clean 1st floor room had a view of the large outdoor pool and the lake beyond. There is a wonderful paved walkway to take you on a short walk to the park's large marina; or, one can easily walk into town for more fun activities. Don't want to walk? The inn rents bicycles in a range of sizes. You get relax in the one of two hot tubs or take an evening dip in the indoor pool, work out in the exercise room, or play games in a nice quiet game room. The staff, to a person, was super friendly and helpful. Meals are reasonable with decent quality food with both indoor and outdoor dining. All in all, this was a very nice place! My only recommendation is that you either bring a couple of extension cords or the hotel needs to add more outlets in the rooms, all of which were behind heavy furniture and hard to reach. A small refrigerator in each room would also be a nice upgrade with more ice machines per floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a patio or balcony. Some on the top floor only had a Juliet balcony. While our...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
Atwater,Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

First I have to say,I don't know why they don't have queen beds instead of doubles in their rooms.For the amount of money paid for a premium room with "lake view"-"NOT" ..... and double beds,so not worth it! The beds were not very comfortable, bad night sleep,average room,but very clean. Just like other reviews,the outside,the restaurant-bar area,the pool are all nice and modern,and then you get to your room......average. My daughter wanted to come to Geneva on the Lake for her 21st birthday to sample wines and such.I ordered a gift basket for her with wine,strawberries etc., which was VERY NICE and worth the money. Also,if you are visiting in the summer,keep in mind that there a lot of families with small children.I would not recommend this for a honeymoon,or couples getaway.Lots of little kids in the pool. All in all it was an "ok" place,but I would not stay again.

7 Thank BlackCatLady
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
BlackCatLady- Thank you for sharing your review about The Lodge, I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you expected.

We do have many families staying with us throughout the summer months as school is out and everyone is getting their vacation time in. I would recommend that you return in the early summer or even late summer when the kids are back in school and you can enjoy the warmer weather and the pools the way you prefer.

So excited to hear that you took advantage of the amenities we offer as a gift for your daughter! It was very thoughtful and I’m sure she loved the surprise from you.

We do offer rooms with queen beds and I would be happy to book your next stay personally to get you the best rate we offer at that time and the queen beds you desire.

Warm Regards,
Daisy Hall
Wadsworth, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary, this May. It's a very nice resort from the outside, and the lobby is spacious and beautiful. However I'll detail the bad first, and then the good.

The room I had reserved indicated views of Lake Eerie, I guess you have to be more specific when reserving, because the only view we got is if we stood way on the left of the balcony and leaned over...you could see the lake which was at a 90 degree angle from the balcony of the room...otherwise we were staring at the diners on the restaurant patio below...not the most romantic of views (or sounds!)

Also, I know they are in the middle of updating the rooms, and I had requested an updated room, because the older ones look like a plaid nightmare from the late 90's. and lo and behold when we open the door, there I'm faced with the plaid bedspread of my dreams...ick. oh well...it wasn't the end of the world, but it is NOT the way the premium king room is advertised on-line. The picture is COMPLETELY wrong.

now on to the good stuff:

All of the extras we ordered with the room were there and correct. Wine, chocolate, cheese and fruit, and they were a very nice addition, as we arrived too late for dinner, as the restaurant closes at 8pm on weekdays!!(?) Another bummer, but thankfully we had planned ahead.

The location of the Lodge is spectacular, and we took a nice walk along their paved paths on the lake edge. Beautiful sunset and the weather was perfect.

The room was meticulously clean, and we made sure housekeeping was tipped for that. no bad odors, astringent cleansers/deoderizers, plenty of clean towels and no questionable grout in the bathroom. All good things, and very appreciated.

My husband particularly liked the Keurig coffee maker, and I was appreciative of the full size hair dryer and Bath & body shop travel amenities. There was also a provided iPod dock/stereo/alarm clock that was a nice addition.

We had purchased the Bed & Breakfast special, and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast the next morning, Full entree, hot drink, juice ...gratuity included.
We ordered the 3 egg omelet that came with home fries and toast, along with coffee...and it was scrumptious! The red potato home fries were really good and it was a good size portion, plenty to see us around the area that day.

All in all....I think it was worth the money....$149.99/for the B&B special, but the additional food items were quite pricey adding up to another $78. Much more than if the restaurant would have remained open!! Also, I was a little disappointed that the view room and old furnishings were mis-advertised.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jody L
Carrollton, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Here on business retreat, and I loved the view. Got up early to walk (only got to walk a little way because it started raining), but was a good trip. The pool closes too early or maybe we just got in too late.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Holly P
South Elgin, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our family of 2 adults and 3 kids just got back from this hotel. While the hotel looks nice the service at the Horizon lounge on Thursday, July 5th night was terrible and incompetent. The lady at the bar who was in charge of drinks and a light menu was horrible and unprofessional. She should be fired. She completely ignored us and when I did get her attention, she was very rude and unprofessional. When we seated ourselves, the other employees at the lounge would not even clean up our table only the table around us. The staff that night wanted us to leave which we did and we will never come back. I politely spoke to the manager that night who apologized but the unprofessional people working at the Horizon lounge the night of July 5th, 2012 reflected poorly on the entire stay,

Room Tip: Do not go to the Horizon Lounge
12 Thank Kiran36718
Kiran36718- I am sorry to hear that you feel this way. We have met with the restaurant manager as well as the employees from that night to review your comments.

Like with many establishments, dinner service does end earlier than the Lounge stays open, so dining that late at night could not be accommodated. I was happy to hear that the bar tender offered an apology as well as drink offerings before you departed, though you did not choose to take advantage of them.

I was also glad to hear that another associate was able to help your group after all. We take the utmost pride in serving guests and would never knowingly ignore a guest at any time. Thank you for your comments.
Northern Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Our room was not ready when we arrived. We were told to come back later. We were able to check in when we came back at 5:30pm. Staff was busy getting ready for a wedding and taking care of them when we first arrived. I felt like I was annoying the front desk by trying to check in. If you are having a bad day do not take it out on me. We were there for our wedding anniversary. Had scheduled a dinner party for that evening with about 16 friends and family in the Horizon's Room. Dinner was good but slow. They probably should have had more than one waitress assigned to our table. We renewed our vows out at their gazebo. We were told by a staff member we might be charged if we got caught using it.
During the night we were awakened to some pounding going on. It lasted quite awhile. In the morning the front desk new nothing about it. We asked for a later checkout and were told we could have until 11:30 instead of 11:00am. We had reservations for 4 nights but that did not seem to matter. After spending approximately $550.00 on dinner and breakfast and the room for one night at over $200.00, we were not sure we wanted to spend 3 more nights for over $600.00 for an average to below average experience. I agree with the person that said this is not a 4-5 star hotel. This is a state owned lodge with state employees. We spent approximately $800.00 in a 16 hour period at this place. I expected a little better treatment. I am not the type to complain about poor service at the time, but I will not be back and will not recommend this place. For what we spent it was a very disappointing stay. I know much better places that are not 4-5 stars that would treat me like royalty if I spent over $800.00 at their hotel. Sitting out by the lake was great, but we can do that at many other places. Some of the other posters had good comments but if they really examined what they received for what they paid they might not think it was so great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rocketman1971
Dasiy_TheOneAndOnly, Guest Relations Manager at The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Rocketman1971-

I am so sorry to hear that your stay was anything but perfect for your anniversary. We take guest satisfaction very seriously at our AAA, 3 diamond resort. You may be surprised to learn that while we are located on State Park property, we are owned by the Ashtabula County and privately operated by Delaware North Companies, Inc.; who all manage iconic places such as Yellowstone National Park, Yosemite National Park, Niagra Falls, Kennedy Space Center and many other destinations.

We feel our guests are like family while they are with us, from check-in to departure; and strive to provide all guests with friendly and gracious service. Sometimes we may not be able to meet guest’s needs with late check-outs or even offer rooms exactly at check-in depending on the guests who stayed the night before- but we do respect each and every one of our guests and provide you with these services whenever possible.

I am ecstatic to hear that you renewed your vows and wish we had done even more to make your anniversary celebration an unforgettable experience. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and giving us the opportunity to be reminded that all guests at all times are our number one priority.

I certainly hope you will give The Lodge another chance to provide you with the service we pride ourselves in giving guests and if there is anything I can do for you in the mean time, please do not hesitate to ask.

At your service,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed here one night last month. We were very pleased with cleanliness of the room. The grounds were neat and well kept. The thing we did not understand was the layout of the rooms. There was no straight on views to see the lake. Some of the rooms had an angled view with a balcony so we tried it. The view was nice however, if you stay on the third floor there are air conditioning units above you on the balcony that kick on whenever prompted. This became annoying when you sat outside to relax and enjoy the angled view. The service was excellent though. The desk staff was more than accomodating to try to find us a better room. They were very nice and efficient.

Room Tip: Third floor balconies have A/C units above you on the balcony.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jon G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva on the Lake
Hampton Inn Ashtabula
Best Western Plus Lawnfield Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 5 in Painesville

Been to The Lodge at Geneva-on-the-Lake? Share your experiences!