“Shangri la in Guwahati”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Prabhakar Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guwahati
Prabhakar Homestay
Ranked #5 of 87 Guwahati B&B and Inns
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Shangri la in Guwahati”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife, an army officer, was posted in Tenga valley and there she found the love of her life. Mabby, a lovely milky white Arunachal mountain dog with an affectionate disposition, was thoroughly spoilt by my wife during her time there. When the time came for her posting to Wellington, all the kings’ horses and all the king’s men, were roped in to ensure Mabby had a safe trip during the move.

Day 1 of the journey was an 8 hour car drive from Tenga to Guwahati which Mabby took in his stride. The main hurdle was in Guwahati though. I couldn’t find a hotel that would let us keep him. From the most expensive top the most homely, I tried them all. Finally after hours of trawling the net, I came across Prabhakar homestay. Prof Bora was honest. They were open to us bringing Mabby to their home, but put their foot down when it came to taking him indoors. I acceded rather reluctantly because Mabby had been brought up sharing our bed.

When we reached Prof Bora’s house though, I could see why they didn’t want him in the room. The decor was impeccably artistic, fragile tables carrying delicate artefacts abounded. The staff met us and took us to our rooms. The wife fell in love with the place. Personally given my profession I am used to more rustic surroundings but the wife lapped it up. The dinner they provided was a delight. We took second servings of practically everything. They have a nice library and all you really want to do is curl up on any of the comfortable armchairs and read till eternity. The Boras' looked us up at night and we spent a pleasant couple of hours chatting.
As a guy who prefers staying in forest guesthouses, I found it a tad expensive but the wife assured me it is great value for money. She knows more about these things so I will go with her on that. Our room was immaculately furnished with every possible comfort. The feather mattresses were the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The bathroom was thoughtfully equipped. All put we had a fabulous stay, excepting poor Mabby who was locked in the balcony. This, even though we spent every possible moment with him.

The Boras were additionally helpful while clarifying check in details with their friends in the airport cargo section. But for them we would have spent a fruitless 2-3 hours waiting for the Guwahati airport to open.

Pros: Comfort, grace and luxury, good library, amazing food, friendly service, more or less centrally located in Guwahati, pet friendly
Cons: Not for backpackers or people on tight budgets
I would recommend that they have packages for couples wanting to stay longer. The wife expressed a wish to return and stay longer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Arjun A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is an unusual "lodging" review because I really count my stay here more as a stroke of serendipity that allowed me to go on one of the best trips of my life, than as a place to sleep or eat! However, let me start by saying that as a place to stay it is also fantastic: it really combines the the best of staying in someone's home, and the best of a hotel. Lovely (and spotless) rooms and bathrooms; delicious home-cooked food; beautiful garden. But from even before I arrived, Mrs. Bora treated me more as an adopted niece than a customer -- she strongly encouraged me to embark on my solo trip around Assam and Meghalaya in which I avoided most of the more conventional forms of touring (tour buses, hired cars), and I really wouldn't have had the courage to do it without her encouragement. She spent so much of her personal time in conversation with me and helped me figure out where to go, where to stay, how to get from Point A to Point B, etc., without overplanning the whole thing. I am so grateful to her as well as her dedicated staff especially her cook who not only makes delicious food but is also really a wonderful and kind person. Big, big thanks to everyone at Prabhakar for one of the most memorably experiences of my life!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MainaTraveler
Beersheba, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

We have had the privilege to be introduced to this special villa, the Prabhakar homestay. Tucked on a hillside in an affluent Guwahati neighborhood, the Prabhakar offers a one of a kind experience, incomparable to any we have encountered in our recent travel in India. The spacious villa comprises of two spacious guests suites, classically decorated with excellent taste. After exhausting travel throughout Assam we found the Prabhakar homestay a refuge from the hassling Indian ambiance, a great place for recovering one's forces for the travels ahead. The owners, Shiela and Mahesh were out-of town during our stay, nevertheless, the professional local staff took good care of us and were highly efficient, attentive and fed us yummy local delicacies.
We certainly look forward to our next trip in the North-East, and our next stay at Prabhakar!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amirb445
ShielaBora, Owner at Prabhakar Homestay, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Amir,
Thank you very much for your warm feedback. We are sorry to have missed you; we do hope to see and welcome you again some time in the near future!
Warm regards,
Shiela
Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The drive from the airport through Guwahati to this homestay does little to lift the spirits, but the house is in an elevated position away from the city's noise and pollution and proved a delightful antoidote. Our room was clean and spacious with an excellent bathroom, and had both a TV and the wherewithal to make tea. A good supper and breakfast was served. More than that, it was a pleasure to talk with our engaging hostess, an academic at the local university, and to be taken around her beautiful garden the next morning. I recommend this homestay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NR16
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

This lovely homestay set in a lush garden is a welcome change to the drab looking hotels that are otherwise on offer in Guwahati. The Boras, the couple that run the Prabhakar Homestay, are extremely hospitable and can give a lot of information on what to see and do in Assam. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious, light and the cleanest I have ever come across in India. Located in a quiet and green neighborhood there is no sound that disturbs a good night's sleep. One can lounge in the garden, on one of the balconies, in the living room or in the cosy library. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. A lavish breakfast is included in the room price. Lunch and dinner are prepared on request. The food is delicious. Staying at Prabhakar Homestay is a perfect place to recuperate and relax.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FreischwimmerBerlin
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Whether it is the sound of the many birds chirping, the hundreds of orchids, the large, comfortable rooms, the yummy food and general good cheer in the Bora home... all of it added up to a loveliest stay for me. The place was such a welcome refuge from the din of the city as I made my way up the Brahmaputra towards Majuli Island. It is quiet and peaceful. In the morning before leaving, I had a lengthy talk about Assam with Shiela, Prof. Emeritus of history at University of Guwahati, and with Mahesh about his new business making artisanal paper from Assam rhino and elephant dung! I'm so happy to have stayed at Prabhakar and to have met the Boras, and i hope my travels take me back that way again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Claudio C
Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Tucked away in the quiet lanes of Chandmari in Guwahati is Prabhakar Homestay, a charming homestay run by the Boras. A well travelled couple, their exposure to global culture shows in the love and taste with which they’ve appointed their home. Not only is the last word in furniture and object d’art, but each room literally more comfy than home. ACs, TVs, free Wi-Fi, plush beds to sink into, and warm shower jets – it’s easy to see why Bollywood stars are amongst their most loyal patrons.
But perhaps the thing that most warms the heart here (apart from the lovely hosts) is the soul food they serve. Trust the cook (as I did) and you will be surprised by local delicacies like squash salad and chicken in green sesame curry. Give them advance notice and they will even arrange treats like Pork with Bamboo Shoot, an Assamese speciality.
Guwahati is a vital transit point to the North East, and Prabhakar is my strongest reason to stay back a night or two.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any El Poo products in stock. Mr. Bora runs the company that makes lovely paper ite...