The accommodation is average but overpriced for what you get.
- The room smelled like urine and many areas of the hotel smelled like sewage as there is an open sewage running from the hotel to the beach.
- The hotel is not directly on the beach but you have to walk through a construction site to get to the beach.
- Food at the hotel is pretty good, not much selection if you are vegetarian.
- Rooms are damp and very basic. Overpriced for what you get.
- Location is fine close to one of the nicest beaches.
- Hotel looked better than most other hotels we saw on the island.
- At checkout, double check your bills as they are not very good at math and calculate everything manually.
The biggest problem we had was on arrival. We prepaid the hotel room and also paid for the hotel to purchase ferry tickets for me and my wife from Port Blair to the Island as they sell out very quickly and need to be purchased a day or two in advance.
On arrival in Port Blair the agent of the hotel only purchased one ticket even though we had a reservation for two and confirmed via email and sent in both of our ID cards to them.
This meant we would have to travel the next day, get a hotel in Port Blair and would loose one night already paid for at the Wild Orchid. The only response from the agent was that he didn't care and tough luck.
The one ticket they purchased for us was printed on someone else's ticket and they didn't want to give us the one ticket and had to get the police involved. A very unpleasant experience.
At the hotel nobody was aware that they messed up the ticket purchase, no apology, we had to follow up several times for a refund of the ticket they didn't buy and we had to buy one our own. We clearly got the impression they don't care other than taking your money. Especially since we paid a 2300% markup for them to buy the tickets for us in advance it was a very poor performance on the hotel's part.
If anything goes wrong don't rely on the hotel. Recommend planning in extra day in Port Blair to buy the tickets on your own to avoid the risk of the hotel messing it up again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We, your hosts, are dedicated to making your stay a delightful mixture of discovery, relaxation, luxury and simplicity ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Wild Orchid reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wild Orchid Hotel Havelock Island