“A Great Total Package”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Havelock Island
Island Vinnies Tropical Beach Cabana
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Havelock Island
Hong Kong, China
“A Great Total Package”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Taken as a single 'resort', the Island Vinnie's/ Full Moon Cafe/ Dive India combination is a great all-in-one package. But each on their own isn't perfect.

Island Vinnie's - the rooms are spacious (given the price) and clean, and their verandas are very nice. However, the bathrooms aren't the best and the tents are all located quite far from the sea so rather than the sound of waves breaking, we fell asleep to the sounds of the resort which isn't noisy but it still isn't the same thing. Given the price though, these are very good value.

We also took the transportation package which i would recommend to anyone, like us, who is flying in and flying out again. The process isn't as slick as it might be with quite a few hand-overs between different people along the way, but everything was arranged and it did save us from the confused queuing others had to put up with.

Full Moon Cafe - my wife had sprained her ankle so we were going to be stuck with Full Moon Cafe for most our meals anyway, but to be honest I don't know if that made a difference in the end. The food was fantastic, not just 'fantastic for a budget-friendly dive resort' but properly fantastic and at good rates.

I would suggest checking your tab each night though as when we settled at the end there were some strange charges n the bill, most of these were just mislabeling (we ordered a chicken salad and it was written up as a chicken schnitzel) but it left us a little unsure over the accuracy. Also note that they do not have a liquor license so you need to bring your own if you own - a cheap bottle of local rum and their pineapple juice makes a decent cocktail.

Dive India – Dive India is run by a great bunch of instructors. Everyone we dealt with was professional and patient in their teaching style and the equipment seems well maintained. However, from an admin point-of-view it was a little disorganized. Perhaps I just needed to get into the island mindset a little sooner but I got a bit irritated that eve though I had pre-paid for a learn-to-dive package there wasn’t an obvious process for us to follow. Once we got into the swing of things though it all came together.

2 Thank BrendanLeG

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Rawatbhata, Rajasthan
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Beautiful resort with excellent staff..a real place to chill and have fun..lil sort of private beach and an amazing Dive centre.. DIve India comes highly recommended..in addition to the Full Moon Cafe for its delicious food and service. Morning diving session...awesome lunch and a lazy afternoon on the hammock near the beach..perfect idea for a true vacation.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Loved loved loved this place - though we didn't actually stay there (didn't get rooms - book well in advance). My husband did one dive with them - and we fell in love with the place after! First things first - we had a rather crappy 'sea walk' experience @ Port Blair - so we were a little skeptical about the dive. But it turned out that my husband LOVED his dive experience with Dive India - their diving school. The instructors are very professional, patient and encouraging and really try to show you a good time. And their passion for diving is infective! Highly recommend diving with them.

What I loved more though about the place was the 'Full Moon Cafe' (plan to write another review on that separately!), the totally unpretentious, laid back, cosmopolitan ambience of the place, and the loads of interesting people we ran into there! In addition to the great food ofcourse - easily the best on the island.

All of this led to us eating most meals there, and hanging out at the café most of our free time.

I think we found a small piece of paradise on earth @ Vinnie's. Strongly recommend going there - you will have missed something if you go to Havelock and don't visit/stay/dive with them!

1 Thank Praveena P
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I didn't want to leave. I stayed with them for 3 days in the upgraded huts which is 950 per night. It is extremely comfortable with an attached bathroom and they give you an All-Out for you to plug in at night!

The food at the Full-Moon Cafe is superbh with one of the best ambiances in all of Havelock. They have 2 adorable dogs Frodo and Sam who make you envy their chilled existence.

The Dive Instructors are second to none. Super professional and extremly friendly they put you right at ease! It was easy to see why they were highly rated! From my experience if you come to Havelock you HAVE to dive with DiveIndia.

I travelled alone spending most of the time slung on the hammock that they have put out right by the sea. The staff is friendly and super helpful and you can ask them for anything and they will point you out in the right direction.

You meet a motley crew of people at Vinnies so prepare to have fun and live the Island life.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

i stayed at Island Vinnie's while doing a diving course with DiveIndia. It is easy to see why this place receives consistently good ratings on TripAdvisor (which I referred to while planning my trip).

Here is my take on various aspects of this resort:

Rooms (8/10)

I was on a budget, and therefore chose to stay in a standard hut. At INR 500 plus taxes, it's a pretty good deal.

The standard hut is small, but not cramped. It's perfect for people who plan to spend most of their time outside (like I did) and return only to sleep after a good day of diving. In addition to the bed and mosquito net, there is a good-sized cane shelf and a small table.

Standard huts do not come with attached bathrooms, and so you will have to use the common facilities, which I found to be reasonably clean and well-maintained. If you're feeling squeamish anyway, go for the upgraded huts.

Service and Food (8/10)

I found the service to be courteous, friendly and efficient from start to finish. The ambience and food at Island Vinnie's restaurant - Full Moon Cafe, was marvelous. I have reviewed it separately, but in a nutshell, I'd say you must drop by at least once while in Havelock.

Diving (10/10)

i had a fabulous time during my SSI Open Water Diver course with DiveIndia. The instructors are very good, the overall set up is efficient and this is definitely one of the region's top diving schools.

Overall (10/10)

Being from an urban jungle, I loved it here. If you like dogs, you will like it here even more. I had two adorable canine hosts in the form of Sam, a labrador, and Frodo, a retriever.

Island Vinnie's doesn't have a liquor license, but there are enough establishments within easy reach where you can get a beer.

in short order, would I recommend this place? Yes. I would!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Salilr
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It's a great resort! We stayed in a standard and upgraded huts, which were very simple, but didn't lack anything that you need. We even had hot water in the shower which we didn't expect.
The beds are big and comfortable with very good and spacious mosquito net.
There is an excellent restaurant on the resort grounds (Full Moon Cafe) and as excellent dive shop (DIVE India).
The location is great, very close to the centre of village no 3, but yet somehow secluded, so you don't experience any crowd there (there were times when we were the only ones on the beach). The beach is wonderful with crystal clear water and white sand.

Room Tip: Upgraded huts are very close to the main road, so it might be noisy during the night. If you don'...