“Overpriced and generic”

Taylor's
Ranked #1 of 26 Restaurants in Galion
Cuisines: American
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to Taylor's to grab some ice cream because my favorite ice cream stop closed for the winter, and I promise to never go back.
I got a banana split and thought the cashier was trying to shake me down! It was nearly double what I would pay across town at Darlene's.
Not to mention the half wit working looked up at the menu board and her phone more than she looked at me or her food she was preparing.
Once I got my ice cream I decided to stay and eat it, since it was dripping down the side I didn't want to get it all over me and my car. I sat down at the booth and GROSS! I sat in something sticky! It looked like the booth I sat at hadn't been cleaned since the last remodel back in the 80's.
So I dig in to my banana split and what a surprise, it tasted like chalky powder or something. The ice cream was terrible.
Then of course as I leave it took well over 5 minutes to get out of the parking lot on the worst intersection of Galion

2  Thank Travis W

Reviewed June 28, 2013

It's been a number of years since I've been into the dining section in the back, so I won't comment on that, except to note that it's sit-down (meaning someone comes to your table to take your order).

I've been into the front (ice cream parlor) section much more recently, so that's what I'll discuss. This section has the type of setup where you walk up to the counter to place your order and then sit down and eat afterward.

I can say that the shakes are pretty good (about as good as you can generally find in this price range, and they have more flavors than just chocolate and vanilla, though I don't remember the whole list). They also have some other items on the menu board besides just the ice cream, but again I don't remember the details. The ice cream and shakes are the main focus here.

The people are friendly, in the completely casual chatty just-folks way you sometimes find in a small-town mom-and-pop place. Service is prompt, in my limited experience, and nobody in the place has ever been brusque with me or made me feel rushed.

I don't usually pay a ton of attention to decor (so take what I say cum grano salis), but from what I remember it's pretty standard for a small ice cream place. If I remember correctly, there are several stools at the counter and at least half a dozen booths just inside the front windows. The view outside the windows is of traffic on 598, as it queues up at the big light; but you can just turn your back to the windows and talk with the people -- or just listen, if you prefer.

Parking is no problem, although depending on the time of day it can take a couple of minutes to get back out onto the road afterward. (To dodge the worst of this, avoid the mid-afternoon just as school is letting out.)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Taylor's is my all time favorite restaurant. They have such great food that it is hard to select one thing that I want to order. Be careful, Dick, that you don't price yourself out of business.

1  Thank RobertShroyer
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Very friendly staff with excellent Ice cream and food.Stop every time I am in town and the Owner is always working either cooking or serving.There is a counter in the front and a dining room in the back.

1  Thank Goat Man
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very friendly restaurant where the owner is always seen working right along with the employees. Talks to everyone who sits and eats. Clean. I believe it is 3rd generation family owned. Food very good with nice size portions. Milkshakes YUM! Homemade daily pies. Only 1 bad thing is tiny bathroom. This is were the locals come to eat at. If you on RT 30 make the turn into Galion at SR 598 and head into town just past McDonalds.

3  Thank Ledger05

Been to Taylor's? Share your experiences!