Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Worth going out of your way

Came across this place on Tripadvisor, and reviewers loved it. So we went, and we loved it! Both... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
jcp08
michigan
What a surprise

This is the house President Hayes grew up in and lived his life in. I barely knew anything about... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
djhohman
Ellijay, Georgia

All reviews house tour civil war home tour original furnishings gilded age burial site president of the united states no photography guided tour american history spiegel grove minute tour northern ohio love history well worth the trip presidential library museum great museum
Selected filters
Reviewed July 24, 2019

I had the pleasure of visiting the home of Rutherford B. Hayes, the 19th President of the United States. It is a magnificent, 31-room structure that is perhaps the most beautiful and elegant I have visited. It lies on a property that is filled with big, mature trees. The house has 12 and 13-foot ceilings and many floor to ceiling windows. The upper two floors had bedrooms often with sitting rooms overlooking the property. The library was fascinating, especially Hayes's stand-up desk. Unfortunately, visitors were not permitted to take photos of the interior. Not far from the house is the tomb of Hayes and his wife.

The museum was interesting and provided good information about the historical times and Hayes's unexpected win of the presidency, being the first the lose the popular vote but win in the electoral college.

Anyone interested in the homes is US Presidents should put this one at the top of the list. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 14, 2019 via mobile

We pulled into Fremont at about 4pm and saw a sign for this historical home and museum. My husband is a retired history teacher and was very interested in visiting. We got to the museum about a half hour before closing and were told by the docent at the entrance that because the house tour takes an hour and we couldn’t do that, he would let us into the museum for free. He asked about our primary interests (personal life or political life of President Hayes) and directed us to the correct area. The museum is not on the list of the 13 “official” presidential libraries because it is not Federally funded. We thought it certainly compared well with the others! After leaving the museum-Library we walked around the lovely grounds and paid respects at the family burial plot.

Reviewed July 13, 2019

My wife and I were getting ready to head home from a small getaway trip when we advised about the Rutherford B Hayes Presidential Library and Museum. This sounded like something we would like to see and it was more or less on our way home so we stopped by.
Right away you notice the beautiful grounds. Ample parking near the museum. Allow at least an hour and a half to walk through the museum which has several artifacts with a personal history.
The staff are very friendly and even allow you to handle an item or two as long as you put on white gloves (provided). The museum is spacious and extremely clean as well as being very organized.
The tour of the home is very informative. I learned more in one hour at that tour than I could ever learn in formal education. The guides obviously have a passion for the job and relished the chance to give any information you wanted to hear regarding the Hayes family and home. The portraits and paintings are exquisite.
For us it was an unexpected exclamation point to a great getaway.

Reviewed July 8, 2019

We had a wonderful tour guide take us through the Hayes home. He was extremely knowledgeable, interesting, and funny! I learned more about President Hayes and his family in one tour than from all my previous educational experiences. Our 45-minute tour lasted over 90 minutes! I enjoyed the museum, too, but we didn't have time to look at everything...

Reviewed July 3, 2019

I have been to the grove many times. The grounds are gorgeous. It is a great place to go for a stroll. This was the first time I have taken in the Museum. Very interesting to be able to view all of the history and life of Rutherford B. Hayes. While in Fremont, a trip to the Grove is a must see.

Date of experience: June 2019