“Nicer hotel in the area starting to go downhill...”

SpringHill Suites Cincinnati North/Forest Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forest Park
Medina, Ohio
“Nicer hotel in the area starting to go downhill...”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I stay at this hotel half a dozen times a year for work. For the last couple of years, it was the nicest option on the exit as the Hampton was going downhill. The Comfort Suites/Inn that went up is supposed to be nice, but I hadn't tried it b/c of this hotel. I stayed on 7-12-12 and it's the first time I noticed it was showing it's age. Scuffs on the wall, curtains not properly hung/installed in my room, dirty carpet/floors that had been stained, etc. gave me the impression that it needs to be "freshened up" a bit. I will say that the gym they have is better than most as it includes a bench and some free weights. The b-fast is also slightly better than most. Finally, the staff is friendly. I just hope they realize it's time for a deep clean, some paint and attention to the "details." Otherwise, folks are going to gravitate over to the Comfort Inn/Suites that is new. That would be a shame as this hotel really was very nice!

Room Tip: You need to take 275 East to Tri-County to find good dining options. Not much on the exit where the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
indianapolis
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I think the rest of the reviews that speak of this property being "average" are spot on. I stayed there Saturday, July 7th, 2012. I've written reviews in the past about ultra-modern/boutique hotels and their lack of attention to detail, and this property is no exception. Lobby was nice, staff was friendly and prompt, however, the room was definitely lacking. Carpet was stained and needed a good cleaning, couch was stained in several places, desk lamp didn't work, bathtub and shower fixtures were not flush with the tub, so they stuck out a good 2 inches from the wall (you could actually see the plumbing of the fixtures) and wiggled a LOT when you tried to turn on the shower or adjust the shower head, the mattress on the bed seemed to be old and was NOT comfortable at all, and the road noise was horrible (my fault for not requesting a room on the other side of the freeway). They have an outdoor pool and I smelled nothing but marijuana every time I walked to my car (I guess some patrons were partying out by the pool).

For the price, you're really paying for the "ultra modern" interior of the hotel, which is a bit of a gimmick, because I've stayed at older hotels that are the same price but much, MUCH cleaner and better maintained. Housekeeping seemed to be rushed while preparing the room I was staying in as well, lots of things out of place and the extreme lack of detail is very obvious.

Room Tip: request a room away from the freeway!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Evansville IN
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The hotel is average, redecorated recently with a sixties decor. Staff was friendly but not exceptional. Breakfast was the usual for this type of hotel. Room was fine though small (king with sofa sleeper). We were on the third floor facing away from highway, so limited traffic noise but a constant noise from the large fans/HVAC just below our window on roof of first floor -- that made it necessary to turn up the TV while in the bedroom. I wouldn't say "don't stay", but I've been in more attractive Springhill Suites. Just be sure you have a value rate!

Room Tip: Watch for HVAC noise on third floor - request higher!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I've stayed here dozens of times for work. Friendly staff, great rates, clean rooms. Exercise room is simple, but they have a deal with a local gym to go for free if you're there for an extended time. Breakfast is super, location good right off of 275. No fans in bathroom is an issue, but it's dealt with.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Kentuckiana
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was my first stay in this property. I am in Cincinnati for business periodically & am trying to find a clean, quiet, safe place to become my "usual" spot. This came close. The other reviews I read on tripadvisor warned about freeway noise. I forgot to make a request to stay on the back side when I checked in & I paid for that mistake. All night long, even with the AC & fan running, the road noise is loud. The room was clean, it appeared to have been recently renovated. In fact, the shower curtain was new - still had fold marks in it, smelled like new vinyl & the little pop out holes were actually on the floor of the bathroom. I had a King room, but the room felt smallish. Since I travel alone, it didn't really matter, but I remember thinking if I was with the husband, it would be crowded. There was an odd pickle like smell in the hallway, but I wasn't in the hall for long & it didn't permeate into the room I was in.

Breakfast was adequate, you know the kind - make your own waffle, some soupy oatmeal, scrambled eggs, bacon, variety of breads to toast, some fruit, really plenty of choices & if you need a "first breakfast" before a business meeting, it works quite well. And, remember, these SpringHill places also have the little market, which is nice for that sweet tooth at night.

There are places SO much worse to stay in Cincinnati. I can't flat out say that you shouldn't stay here, it really wasn't bad at all. In all honesty. I'm still on a mission to find the spot with the right appeal for me when I'm in town. This was close, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, get a room away from the interstate! Please look through other reviews here &a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I will start by saying this hotel was clean which is always my first priority however...
There was a "family reunion" going on and when you entered the hotel this "family" had completely taken over the lobby and the breakfast area and it was so incredibly loud and disruptive that I cannot begin to explain. Music blaring, people yelling. We travel a lot with a group in the summer and we frequently will have group dinners in the lobby but we would never consider being so loud and disruptive.You could not hear the girl at the front desk to check in, kids were running EVERYWHERE. There were a LOT of kids, all easily under the age of 10 running the halls and slamming doors most of the night. Between that and the super loud freeway noise being that we were on that side, there was NO sleep to be had. I cannot believe that the people working the desk allowed this complete chaos to be going on and did nothing to try and control it. You couldnt even stand in the lobby with your luggage because not only were they loud, they were rude and no hotel staff intervened. Management was notified of the kids running the halls overnight but yet it continued.
Its unfortunate because it WAS clean but because of the lack of respect for every other hotel guest who wasnt there for the reunion that was exhibited by the staff, I would not return. If you dont have a meeting room to accomodate a group like that then it should not have happened. I give the property a good rating because it was clean, restaurants close and easy access (well not currently with construction but the hotel cant control that) because the overall hotel was nice, breakfast was average but again the area was clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here while on a family vacation in Colerain. Hotel is clean and the staff friendly. We got a room on the interstate side of the hotel, and the road noise is excessive. We asked to be moved to the other side of the hotel, but were not able to be accommodated. The outdoor pool is on the west side of the hotel and can be chilly until the sun hits it, the highway noise level is also very loud at the pool. While the kiddies could have cared less, it was hard to relax with the noise. Also the room layouts seemed to be smaller than other SpringHill Suites we've stayed at. Wireless Internet is free and signal is excellent. Breakfast is also solid.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Cincinnati/Sharonville
Cincinnati Marriott North
Cincinnati Marriott North
#4 of 16 in West Chester

Been to SpringHill Suites Cincinnati North/Forest Park? Share your experiences!