“Not as advertised”

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Findlay
Fort Edward, New York
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked for 1 night while going to tour a college for our son. Room was clean & comfortable enough although it is advertised as "newly furnished with updated furnishings, spa like bathrooms, hardwood floors". The beds were not as comfortable as other Red Roof Inns, the bathroom was not "spa like" and the room was fully carpeted, which was the most upsetting ~ one reason we chose Red Roof was because they advertise hardwood floors & we suffer from allergies so we liked the idea. We loved the drive through check in/check out and the fact that the hotel was smoke free. Also liked the late check out at 12:00. We did not request a room with a refrigerator & microwave but were given one (and charged for it) so double check your reservation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. All rooms now come with a fridge, microwave and a flat screen; wall mounted T.V. We are continuing renovations to next generation room types.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Waterford, Michigan
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I've been to this place three times and the last time was the worst experience I've ever had at a hotel/motel. Within the first 10 minutes we found bugs in the bathroom and decided we did not want to stay. Besides that, we had another couple with us and they complained that the blankets and pillow covers looked odd/questionable.
After talking to the front desk employee, she told us we would likely be charged but it would be up to the manager or owner. After hearing this, we asked to speak to the manager/owner but was told we couldn't speak to the manager or owner. What place charges for your stay when you complain about finding bugs within the first 10 minutes?! She called the owner when we were there and he still wouldn't talk to us.
After this, she said the manager would call us the next morning. He never called, so I called in the afternoon. Still no manager. The next day, both credit cards where charged for a room and yet still no call. I called a day later, left a message, and yet still no call. So in the end, I had to call my credit card company and dispute the charge. To this day, I haven't recieved any calls from Red Roof Inn. The owner is a terrible business person. I honestly wouldn't be here leaving a bad review if he didnt act so carelessly. Not only did we get charged for a room we never used and had bugs, but he never called to even talk to us. Looking at other reviews revealed similar issues with others. The owner is a crook! Want another place to stay? Try the Findlay Inn!

Room Tip: Try Findlay Inn
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brett0852
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about everything that happened. I am sorry that the room did not meet your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Findlay hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2014

As soon as I opened the door to the room I was greeted by a blast of mold smell. I did not have the energy or mindset to complain. We were in Findlay for a family members funeral and we were all pretty distraught. That eventing my kids kept asking me to change their socks because they kept getting wet. Then they showed me that under the night table and all in between the beds the carpet was soaked. There was a leak coming from somewhere under the carpet. I bent down to inspect it and sure enough that was where the very strong mold smell was coming from. The first night we stayed I noticed the carpet. We just stayed away from the soaked carpet in between the beds and just lived with the awful smell. As I said before we were all pretty upset about the loss of our family member, so I did not have the energy to go down and try to get a different room. At check out I asked the man at the counter if we could get some sort room discount since we had to sleep with moldy carpet and keep stepping in water. He said the general manager Kenny Patel was not in and he would call us the next day. That call never came. I called back and they said Kenny was not in but they will have him call me tomorrow morning when he comes in. That call never came either. I filled out the feedback form that they send you and all I got was a caned response. Its a shame that they would treat paying customers like this. I highly doubt that the GM Kenny Patel or anyone else working there would want to keep stepping on moldy wet carpet and pay full price for it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express how you felt your stay went. We have staff here 24 hours a day to assist with any issues that may occur during your stay. They will be more than happy to do whatever necessary to make sure your stay with us is a great one.
spartanburg
Reviewed November 18, 2013

cheap and clean -- yes.. sketchy has hell -- ABSOLUTELY.
Not sure we could have made it any more clear.
room reserved online - but not paid for with one cc# - just had $ auth'd on card.
On arrival since i was traveling with a friends minor child i gave my cc# for incidentals - totally
understood. I'm not new to staying at a hotels- specifically told check in clerk the room was NOT TO BE CHARGED TO THIS CARD. She understood. -- this was thurs night. Saturday evening
(how convenient) half way through our stay I was notified by my bank as a security measure as we were out of state that an authorization was put against my card for the full amount of the stay !! --- talked to pm clerk and got the 'i cant do anything kenny - the GM will call you' -- no call came. Talked to mom who rserved room - HER CARD HAD BEEN Auth'ed as well. . So -- now they have authorized TWO credit cards for the same room number -- WTH? If you already have the money authorized - basically 'held' back by the bank on one card, it seems VERY shady to me to auth it on another card when you know full well you've already got the funds pulled aside on the original CC. . I was informed by the staff that ' Kenny' advised them there was no way to release the funds-- I WORK IN RETAIL OF HIGH PRICED GOODS AND KNOW FOR FACT THIS IS FALSE. Yes, if you dont put the purchase through the funds return to the account in 3-4 biz days. HOWEVER if the merchant knows the sale is not going to happen the merchant is fully capable of releasing the authorization on the funds to have them put the $ back in your account. Perhaps this is why you only sell a fistful of rooms at that enormous hotel on a weekend. I have been told repeatedly that they did not charge my card, however my bank statement says otherwise. The facility was clean, no box springs on beds, just two dumpy spring mattresses stacked on top of each other. walls are PAPER THIN. breakfast was poor -- coffee / hot beverage machine was broken-- they had two.. neither worked .. no cereal or milk offered.. first and last experience w RRI -- ever.. Still waiting for the 'funds to be released'
if not released by tomorrow am i'm filing a complaint with my VISA card.. totally sketchy way to do business.. Stacy - the am clerk was incredibly nice ( no sarcasm she was just doing as she was told and was put in a VERY awkward position by 'kenny' the GM.... RRI Fail..

Room Tip: Stay away.... unless you prepay online and even THEN I might think twice since they'd probably c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you had so many issues with the billing. Unfortunately this can happen when changing payments. I have spoken with the staff to try to prevent such an incident from happening again in the future.
Lexington KY
Reviewed November 9, 2013

From the moment I arrived at the front desk to check in, it has been nothing but problems and a complete lack of customer service. Granted, when I pay $70 for a room, I dont expect a 5star hotel, but I do expect the BASIC services a hotel should offer. Here, none of that was the case. Existing reservation was inaccurate, fee quoted was different than fee given on reservation, the room was sparse to say the least even after their "recent remodel", toilet didnt flush, phone did not work-could not call front desk, the electrical cords on lamps were TAPED together with electrical tape....and this is just the first night!! All the employees that I came in contact with were rather creepy acting which made me feel unsafe. IF I had another option of a different hotel...I would have taken it gladly..but most places were full. Contacted customer service and the only thing they offered me was to "call back Monday". Seriously?? This is truly 'motel hell'.....

Room Tip: Pick another hotel...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your stay with us went. I am sorry to hear that the room was so unsatisfactory. I have taken a look at the issues you mentioned and can assure you they have been completely fixed.
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Cons:
This hotel is not newly renovated like many other Red Roof Inns I've stayed in. It was clean but everything was outdated...the carpet, bed, bedding, bathroom fixtures, etc. I can usually overlook these kinds of things because it was a cheap hotel and well, you get what you pay for. The thing I found unacceptable was that the bathtub did not drain. When I went to take a shower, the water pooled in the tub as I was showering. It was absolutely disgusting. There was no drainage whatsoever and by the time I was finished showering, there was three inches of water pooled in the tub. Again...disgusting. Also, the sink did not drain well. The water pooled in the sink for a routine tooth brushing. And the toilet was slow to flush. They have an obvious drainage issue here. Lastly, the front desk called me at 9:30 in the morning to ask me if I was staying an additional night. Check out was at noon. I felt like they were eager for me to leave.

Pros:
The lobby staff was friendly as I have experienced most Red Roofs to be. Also, they had a complimentary continental breakfast which is not the norm at a Red Roof.

Final prognosis:
I am a Redicard member and stay at a lot of Red Roofs (I am a sucker for those free bottled waters). This property is the worst I have stayed in. I will never stay here again simply because of the shower drainage issue.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We have inspected replaced and repaired all the drain issue with the room. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention so that I was able to address the matter.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The general manager charges is an extra 40.00 because we asked to stay in the room until 12:00 p.m. And because more than one adult was in the room. These hidden frees made the room more than $90.00. For that price, we could have stayed at a very nice hotel.

The general manager was my willing to work with us in this matter. He told us the housekeepers left at 12:30 so he had to charge the fee. What company thinks it's a prudent business decision to only have staff for 1.5 hours? Check out was at 11 a.m.

The room was okay. The toilet paper and tissues were not stocked and they only given patrons two pillows per bed. We asked for more towels from the housekeeping, but they did not speak English and they did not give us more towels.

They served breakfast. It was adequate. Mostly white breads and meats. There was no fruit available.

This was our first stay at Red Roof. I wouldn't do this again.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Lauren B
Red F, Manager at Super 8 Findlay, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us how your stay was. I have looked into the matter to ensure this type of misunderstanding does not happen in the future.