“Hilton Akron”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fairlawn
Pittsburgh PA
“Hilton Akron”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located across from the mall and several resturants. The room was clean and spacious. I would recommend this hotel to someone visiting the Akron area. The fitness center was nicely equipped.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 29, 2014

To start, we ordered lunch at Beau's Grille where my daughter ordered a tuna wrap. While eating the wrap she bit into a large metal object, which ended up being a large, sharp spring from the ice-cream scoop used dish out the tuna. Luckily, she noticed this before swallowing the object. We asked for a manager and it was her second day on the job. She wasn't quite sure how to handle the situation and said she would get back to us. She later came back and asked to take down my name and contact information. She then offered a beverage and I requested she comp the meal instead. She was genuinely apologetic for the mishap and our day went on.

Later that evening, I took my son to the mall across the street to pick out a pair of swim trunks. He had been looking forward to the hot tub and swimming in the pool all day. When we returned, there was a sign on the door that read "Indoor pool temporarily closed." We went to the front desk and they said there was an issue with the chemicals. Apparently, there were other guests who came out with blood-shot eyes and rash-like skin. We were told the pool would be open in a couple hours once they stabilized the chemicals. My son decided to check every 15 minutes and was disappointed after two hours had passed. At that time, they were offering for guests to use the pool next door at the Doubletree. We made our way across the parking lot to a pool that was filled with screaming girls and where two large families were eating dinner. My son was getting irritated with all the yelling and screaming and asked if we could go back to the Hilton. We made our way back, wet and cold.

Once we returned, I stopped by the front desk and shared my displeasure. The gentleman at the front desk said that the Front Desk Manager may issue some points for the inconvenience, since I paid for the stay with points. A few days went by and I had yet to see the points post. I called the hotel and spoke with a lady at the front desk. She informed me the pool is not a guaranteed amenity and the hotel does not compensate for it being out of order. I was told different and asked for the Front Desk Manager. She later called me back and offered a $35 credit to my card for the issues experienced - I found this to be insulting. Even though the website lists the pool as an amenity, you may wish to call and ask if it's in working order, as this is not a GUARANTEED amenity. Maintenance needs training in this area to avoid a chemical spike.

In terms of the rooms, they're in need of TLC and updating. We were upgraded to a large suite, which was appreciated. However, the ceiling was stained (water damage), wallpaper was peeling from the walls, there were several gross stains on the walls, the curtains were worn and soiled with nasty stains, spider webs in the windows, and the furniture was old and stained. This was the last disappointment. Hilton hotels are normally a sound choice when traveling, but this experience proved otherwise.

Room Tip: Make sure all non-guaranteed amenities are in working order before checking-in. Otherwise, you'...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manager3180, Manager at Hilton Akron / Fairlawn, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
GDJM, thank you for choosing the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn and for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your recent stay. I'd like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment you and your family had in your visit. I have discussed your comments with our General Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Chief Engineer, and Executive Housekeeper. They are embarrassed that the issues you encountered during your stay were not immediately resolved to your satisfaction. Your stay certainly does not reflect the Hilton standards we hold our staff and property to. GDJM, it is through comments such as yours that we are able to continually improve our facility and I thank you for bring these issues to our attention. If you wish to discuss your stay further, I invite you to contact our General Manager, Timothy Winter at timothy.winter@hilton.com or (330) 867-5000.
Spring Branch, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The staff were outstanding and made every effort to provide a superior experience for the wedding guests. The wedding reception food, drinks, and service was excellent. All of our out-of-town guests had a great time at this hotel. Centrally located to shopping as well.

Loudonville, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Amazing facility. Very well maintained and groomed. You never have to leave, they have it all. We frequent this location at least 3-4 times yearly. Anniversaries, Birthdays, Graduations, and a great area for shopping. Many surrounding restaurants, entertainment, and things to do. We live only over an hr. away, and use this location as our "go to" to come to the city. Would highly recommend this area for a long weekend. A nice couples getaway as well.

Reviewed May 16, 2014 via mobile

Rooms incredibly clean, bed clean top to bottem, bathroom spotless, staff wonderful, smiling all around, my first time staying there. My brother recommend this hotel, I truly understand why
would stay again in a heartbeat.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Manager3180, Manager at Hilton Akron / Fairlawn, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Paula, thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our rooms and staff. We hope to welcome you back again the next time you are in the Northeast Ohio area.
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This hotel is so focused on their restaurant patrons that all of the parking in front of the hotel is reserved for people just dining. (This is even when the restaurant isn't open!) Most of the parking on the side is reserved as well until 10pm. So I park down a dark poorly lit stretch of parking spots and haul my stuff inside in the rain.

Front desk staff was nice enough and the room itself was very nice. I was in a king suite. Bed was nice and comfy.

I review the in room dining menu - I'm in luck, service until 11pm! I call and it just rings and rings and rings. So I call they front desk. They inform me that room service ends at 10 they've just never changed out the menus. I am then told I can walk to the Doubletree and get room service there. Um....the whole point of room service is that it is brought to your ROOM!

They did provide my two bottles of water but they were put into a fridge that wasn't turned on so nice warm water for me!

Leave this place to the restaurant crowd. I'd suggest the Doubletree next door but it is owned by the same people as the Hilton and these owners are clearly not guest oriented.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Lisa, thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Akron/Fairlawn. I sincerely apologize for any disappointment you had in your visit. We highly value all of our guests and only provide a handful of Beau’s Grille reserved parking spots on the side and corner of the building during the hours of 12pm-10pm, however, these spots are open to all of our guests when parking is limited. I have spoken to the General Manager regarding the room service menus and he extends his apologies for the misprint and would like to assure you that we are looking into options to correct this situation. Lisa, although we cannot change the previous experience, we do hope for a future opportunity to serve you. Upon returning to our area, I invite you to contact our Front Office Manager, Jennifer Anderson at Jennifer.Anderson@hilton.com or (330) 867-5000 so we can ensure your stay is pleasant.
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had several of our basketball team members staying in Akron for a tournament. The Hilton was conveniently located and the staff was available to help 24 hours. Very friendly and efficient. We were able to check in quickly and get enough rest for our 8 AM game the next day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlawn
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Akron Fairlawn
Hilton Garden Inn Akron
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Sheraton Suites Akron/Cuyahoga Falls
Fairfield Inn & Suites Akron Fairlawn

Been to Hilton Akron / Fairlawn? Share your experiences!