“The hotel was fine, but needs some improvements to live up to the name”

Hilton Akron / Fairlawn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Fairlawn
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The hotel was fine, but needs some improvements to live up to the name”
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I will be fair, but as a background I am a HHonors Gold VIP member so I have experience with hiltons across the globe.

Room: The room was fine. It was a little small, but the bed was very comfortable. The workspace is large and the office chair very comfortable. The bathroom needs a lot of improvement, the water temperature variates from too hot to too cold making the shower difficult and the shower head sucks. There was no stopper in the tub in the event that you wanted to take a bath. You can tell the room has been updated, but some key improvements in the bathroom should have been made.

Staff: The check-in staff was very nice and helpful. Accommodated my late checkout request.

Internet/Services: The internet was slow for modern standards. It wasn't as slow as dial-up, but it was difficult to watch videos and webcasts without continuous buffering. Parking is free and the internet was free. Didn't try the restaurant or room service.

Location: The location is convenient to shopping/restaurants. If you are trying to get downtown it is on a major road that does a decent job getting you there. There are probably better locations in Akron, but it is also very convenient to the interstate to get to Cleveland. It is about 20 min from the airport.

Problems that I encountered: The housekeepers are so annoying. My first morning at the hotel I was awakened by the knocks at the door, I ignored it because the dead bolt was locked and the stopper was on. She attempted to come in anyway, then the stopper caught the door and she closed it...and then what does she do? Keeps knocking...so I got up and told her I didn't need anything and put the do not disturb sign on the door. 20 minutes later she's knocking on the door again! So I was annoyed with that. But the elevators were TERRIBLE. there are two and they are SO SLOW. There's only four floors but it takes a good while for the elevator to get to the ground floor.

Overall the stay was okay. The value is good I suppose, but only because there aren't any better choices in Akron. If I return to Akron I probably will not stay there again, I will opt for the doubletree or another property.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank telamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton during New Years and were very satisfied with our stay. Our room was a two room suite with a very large spa-like bathroom. The suite was rather well equipped, three tv's (bedroom, large one in living room, small one in bathroom), nice size mini-fridge, microwave, individual cup (two cups at once) coffee maker, real nice cabinet furniture.

The room's environmental controls were simple, just set the temperature and you were set, no getting used to the AC/heating element settings. The room wasn't spotless, a small stain on the carpet, a few spotted stains on the curtains (possibly from the same source), but neither stood out and I barely noticed them. The bathroom is really nice, though the water pressure was a little low. The shower is open and therefore could be a little cooler than your normal shower which is completely enclosed. The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel itself looked real nice inside. There is a decent size indoor pool, a very small hot tub, and the exercise room seemed rather impressive with the equipment it had. The location is good for restaurants, as the Summit Mall has a few nice places to eat at, Vaccaro's Trattoria is just down the road as well. In addition, more "common fare" places like Red Lobster, Olive Garden, pretty much you name it, is located down on Market Street, about two miles west.

Our stay was very quiet and there were no outstanding issues. It is relatively pricey, but we were very pleased with our stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yespage
Windsor
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have stayed and held conferences at the hotel a few times. The conference facilities are very good and the staff well rehearsed for these events. Most of the people I met were helpful, polite and on hand. The conference rooms are what you would expect - large, well appointed and in good order.

Rooms - the rooms are fine but nothing specially. You really only want to sleep in them and nothing more. Bathroom was fine but in need of updating.

Food - Breakfast and dinner were good and very tasty.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
midwest
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at this hotel because a soccer tournament required us to stay in certain hotels. The tournament assigned our team to this hotel. It must be said that the hotel is nice, clean and well kept. However, if they did not want to deal with tons of kids and families they should not have agreed to book soccer teams into the hotel. Suffice to say-- restaurant manager was so rude and did not attempt any efforts to please the customers. Of course this manager did not think that families are tired and may not want venture out (one restaurant at hotel) to eat somewhere else. Security made it impossible for soccer players trick or treat (in early eve.) from teammate door to door. I understand if you do not want to tolerate children-- however-- do not take the booking/and our money and become unreasonable when kids want to leave their rooms. Boo-- won't return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel more times over the years than I can count because we have family in the area. They have made many updated improvements to the hotel and each one has made the hotel more comfortable, more accessible, and more fun. I do wish they would change the luggage ramp at the rear entrance...it's very tricky.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank NanaNana_9
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stayed at this Hilton for two nights while traveling for business. Check in and out process was fast and easy. Room was clean, furnished nicely, bed was wonderful! The front desk called about 30 minutes after I had checked in to see if everything was ok with my room. Ate in the hotel restaurant once for dinner and once for breakfast and both were very good. Hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, which made me regret that I had not packed my swim suit. Only problem I encountered was with the internet service. I would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend when two of our friends got married in downtown Akron. The room was what you would expect. We did have an issue with water pressure and temperature though. It would go from cold to super hot back to cold again throughout the shower. That probably varies based on where in the hallway you are, but I couldn't figure out the pattern. Maybe ask at the front desk when you check in if you can get a room to avoid that.

There was a very reasonably priced bar connected to the lobby. Maybe I'm just used to bigger city and resort prices at hotels, but everybody agreed the drinks were a good value. We actually ended up staying at the hotel to catch up with our other friends instead of going out to other bars. There was also a restaurant, but we didn't eat in it. The groom's parents did use the conference/meeting/party room in the lobby for a Sunday breakfast for the wedding guests, which was also nice.

We used one of the two-room suites for the groomsmen before the wedding. It had a nice bathroom. The bride's suite had an AC issue and they weren't happy to realize one of the uncles had a nicer suite. But it wasn't a huge deal.

Overall, the hotel did very well with the wedding. I would've liked to have seen an airport shuttle, at least considering we were a large wedding, but they said they stopped offering it when it was not used enough.

Room Tip: Ask for room without water pressure and temperature issues if possible.