“Blast from the past....carhop provides instant service”
Review of Skyway Drive-In

Skyway Drive-In
Ranked #6 of 62 Restaurants in Fairlawn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We celebrated purchasing our "new to us" Mustang GT convertible with lunch at our favorite place to "eat in your car" Skyway Drive-In, in Fairlawn (suburb of Akron). It was a sunny day, top down, music playing and hungry for grub. We both got the fish and chips dinner. (Had an option to have a sandwich instead), but chose the former. Although it was not drop dead fantastic....like I had in London forty years ago...it was good enough. The fish was tender, (though probably had been frozen), the cole slaw decent, and the fries abundant. Actually we were given so much to eat, we had leftovers and I reheated the fish a day later and it was still good. The container was Styrofoam...would like to see that more environmentally friendly cardboard stuff....but still lunch was fine. The waiter was TERRIFIC however. He was fast, smiling, cheerful, and went the extra mile...when the wind grabbed some of our napkins and blew them out of the car, he was "Johnny on the Spot" to give us more, and picked up the ones that flew back. We were there for a Saturday lunch. Ohio is one of the few places left where you can have a "drive in lunch" and then go out for a "drive in Movie" under the stars...at places like the Blue Sky in nearby Wadsworth. I've lived in LA, Bay Area, Virginia Beach, Mazatlán, Mexico, and near Boston. Some things can't be beat that are offered in the Midwest. Give Skyway a chance. They'll give a decent meal and great memories! There is a wonderful Mexican saying: Pansa llena, corrazon contenta: Full Stomach, Happy Heart!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I'd really love to give Skyway a great review. They are a venerable local business and I love hamburgers so from time to time I give them a try. The problem is that the hamburgers are just bland and uninteresting. I've tried the regular cheeseburg along with the SkyHi and neither one was worth coming back for. The sides didn't make any impression on me so nothing to recommend there, either.

Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

Skyway Fan ALL the way. Food is consistently good, great-tasting burgers, buns are great too. Just an overall reliable place to eat at. I eat there weekly and they always deliver the goods! Sometimes its so good, I have to go back twice in one day. Kind of embarassing but oh well..Knocks Swensons out of the park!!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Skyway is a classic and a nice alternative to chains. We like to call ahead right when we get off the highway so it's almost ready when we arrive. I love the old fashioned fries and burgers made to order. We don't have one near us so I use it to bribe my teen boys when I want them to go to the Akron Art Museum!

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Decent burgers and fries. Slightly better than chains. Drive in and sit in car or to go. Usual assortment of burgers and other sandwiches. Very similar to a swenson menu and slightly better. Very quick service at car

Been to Skyway Drive-In? Share your experiences!