“Okay at best”

Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Fairlawn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The hotel is under construction so get ready for the noise and hassle. Some of the rooms have not been updated so they will be dark and dirty. Workout area is good. The breakfast service sucked and instead of asking me if I needed anything my waiter decided that carrying on a conversation about Obama being in town and how Ohio would effect his chances of winning was more important than a customer. There's a PF Chang across the street which is a plus. Since I'm a Diamond I'll likely stay at the other Hilton property next door on my next trip to Akron.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Manager3180, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

I am so sorry for the construction issues you experienced while you stayed with us in November 2012. Your comfort and safety is my number one concern, so I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. As you could tell we were renovating our hallways, and I sincerely apologize if we caused you any inconveniences. We are happy to announce that our renovation is complete. In addition, I am very sorry if you did not enjoy your breakfast experience. I can assure you that your comments will be shared with the restaurant staff. Again, please accept our apologies and do not hesitate to contact us if you should have any further questions. Thank you.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed in the Doubletree Fairlawn (Room 212) for one night on January 19th to visit my niece and nephew (while actually staying in another hotel in Pittsburgh on a business trip). I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member (soon to be a Platinum after my 5 week stay in Pittsburgh). I mention this because I spend 175 plus nights a year on the road and I know a good hotel from a bad hotel. My ratings are usually high and liberal because I believe MOST hotels go out of their way to give you good service in these "internet" times. This is NOT one. Let me start by saying room 212 (probably like all their rooms) is very darkly lit .....which incidently hid the serveral large stains in the well designed DARK carpet to hide stains. By using my IPhone flashlight I could tell the room carpet was not cleaned in a LONG time. The check in was very bland and rushed and never did they acknowledge that I was a Honors Member .... other than to give me the free breakfast coupon. I had to ask where the breakfast area was too. Speaking of breakfast, I had to wait almost 5 minutes while the 2 or 3 wait staff was serving ONLY 3 tables in the small breakfast nook while I waited in the entry area. They NEVER even acknowledged my presence, even though they were actively chatting among each other. Final a man came in and rushed behind the bar (probably the manager) and asked me if I had been helped. I said no .... I was standing here for some time!!!! He DID actually get a waitress to help me immediately. I ordered an omlette. Fifteen minutes later, the omelette arrived by itself. No potatos, fruit, parsley or anything accompanying it... just an omlette alone on a BIG plate alone. The waitress quickly walked away before I could ask her .....where were the potatos!!! I finally got her attention and she said ...."You SHOULD HAVE asked for any extras"!!! I told her very nicely ... in most breakfast shops it's usually included. I should have said, "I didn't know this was the Ruth Crist of breakfast establishments (which it isn't ....its just a plain small breakfast nook).

Also, that night, it seemed that a High School group was inhabiting my ENTIRE floor. They kept me up ALL night slamming doors, talking loudly in the halls, etc. You would think that they would HIGHLY advise the "watchers" of these kids to be very firm about their hotel etiquette. Also, you would think the hotel would corner these kids in a remote section of the hotel....or maybe I was in it .... because I was using my "points" for this stay and they purposefully put me on this floor!!!

I am VERY disappointed in my stay. I used my HH points for this one night stay because it was a pleasure trip. I HOPE my front desk treatment on arrival or room selection was NOT given just because it was a non revenue night for the hotel. The restaurant service was deplorable and I hope some of the treatment by the waitress was NOT because of the free breakfast coupon I had out on the table when she arrived ...probably concerned about NOT getting a tip. If it was ....it was a mistake because I usually tip extremely well ---especially when I get my meals for free. I will NEVER frequent this hotel again....especially if this is how they treat their valued guests!! The only plus side I forgot to mention, was their gym with Precor Equipment with attached TV Monitors.

Room Tip: Stay at the nearest Hampton instead of this place. Usually all have the same quality, service and r...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kirby B
Manager3180, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Input such as yours is most important to us as it helps us achieve our goal of constant improvement of our service and facilities. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. It is our goal to make every effort to correct issues such as these promptly and efficiently; I truly apologize we were not able to do so while you were with us. We highly value the Hilton HHonors Members staying with us, and certainly want you to enjoy most those stays and benefits that you have earned. Thank you again for the feedback pertaining to your stay. Please consider returning again soon, as we would like the opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Typical Doubletree with a warm cookie when you arrive. Great location with a nice upscale mall across the street. Rooms aren't huge but are comfortable. Great and very reasonably priced breakfast in the restaurant.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler2001a
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is a well maintained property. The room was modern, clean, and more than met our expectations. Bed was very supportive and comfortable, the room was vault quiet. Front desk was efficient and everyone was friendly. Although the area (Fairlawn) would give us no concern for our personal safety, we saw a security person in the hotel which is very reassuring. There is no reason to look any further for a room if this location fits your travel plans.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor at the ned of the hall (by request) and that probably contributed to t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 102Reno
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very clean, nice furnishings, the beds were very comfortable, plenty of warm water and good water pressure in the shower. Although the hotel seemed pretty full during our stay with soccer players due to a tournament in the area that weekend, it was very quiet and we heard very little noise at night. The front desk staff was very friendly and greeted my two-year old daughter by name ever time we went into the lobby. The chocolate chip cookies we got at check in were delicious. Check in and check out were both quick and easy. We ate at the hotel restaurant for dinner and twice for breakfast and had good food and good service each time. The guy from housekeeping who cleaned our room was very nice when we needed to get something from our room while he was cleaning. The hotel has plenty of free parking, is across from the Summit Mall and there are tons of restaurants close by. We didn't swim, but the pool area was clean and warm and there was nice exercise equipment. Our only issue was that we were there for my daughter's soccer tournament and after a day of playing in the rain, we would have loved it if the hotel had laundry facilities so we could clean and dry our clothes. The front desk staff gave us directions to an area laundromat but it was kind of far (15-20 minute drive) and not in the greatest area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kate J
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Front desk and resturant staff was fantastically accomodating to our very large group - family wedding. The hotel is clean, and conveniently located to retail, eating and highways. The NFL HOF is only 1/2 hour away, and the Akron airport is less than that.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Very nice hotel. The room was big and the beds were very comfy. I felt that they kept the hotel clean and kept up very nice. Eveyone at the front desk was very helpful. They have a restaurant that is connected to the hotel. I had breakfast there one morning. I was the only person in there the whole time. The food was ok. The food was a little expensive for what you get but not bad. The area around the hotel is very busy. They have a nice mall and many restaurants nearby. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Trvl4fun12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlawn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Akron Fairlawn
6 mi away
Courtyard Akron Downtown
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cuyahoga Falls
Hilton Garden Inn Akron

Been to Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Akron - Fairlawn? Share your experiences!