“STAY FAR AWAY”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Fairfield
Columbus, Ohio, United States
“STAY FAR AWAY”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was by far the WORST hotel i have ever stayed in. It was dirty - the kitchen dishes has old dried food stuck to them. The kitchen was covered in sticky hair and dirt. The mattresses were stained and broken. The toilet was broken and it was not repaired until the next morning. we took the blankets from the bed to cover the mattress on the broken dirty sofa sleeper and then were told there were no more blankets in the hotel. The carpet was filthy. Then entire hotel smells of stale cigarette smoke. GOD KNOWS what was smeared on the wall in the bathroom. The room is covered in dirt and dust. The drawers had garbage in them from a prior guest, and the oven was dirty. The refrigerator drawer was broken, and the counter is falling off the wall. The smell stayed with us after we left - and we left a day early. We paid $69 per night - we moved to a different hotel - paid a bit more - but had a clean room with clean beds.

WE had hoped that we could tolerate the dirty conditions - but even a run down apartment on a college campus would have been a step up.

Silver lining - Darrel at the front desk was friendly and kind. Super easy reservation - and he worked really hard to try and mitigate the shortfalls of the hotel.

I would drive out of my way to avoid staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank xtandcharlie
Joe O, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cincinnati - Fairfield, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
I regret that the hotel did not meet with your satisfaction. The managers and the staff will be made aware of your concerns and use the feedback to improve the facility. I hope you found the new Grab and Go breakfast that we just started offering at the hotel and the new flat screen TVs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was far the worst.hotel ever....it was gross
It was nasty.it was filthy ...and overall just not the place to be....i was scared to use any thing in the kitchen ...the first room box spring was as black as the black top in the parking lot ...the second room was 1% less gross then the first room....i would not stay there again if my life depended on it.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank jtanisha
Joe O, Manager at Extended Stay America - Cincinnati - Fairfield, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review. I regret the rooms at the hotel were not to the standard that was expected by you. I have spoken to the managers at the hotel and with the information in your review we will be able to correct the issues. I hope you will give Extended Stay America another try, if not at this location then at another hotel in the country.

Travelers are raving about these Fairfield hotels

Plainfield, Indiana
Reviewed August 6, 2012

PROS: Full kitchen! Got a GREAT rate of $35/night through name-your-own-price on Priceline. Rooms were small but not uncomfortable. Kitchen had a decent amount of dishes and pans. Fridge was clean. Internet worked fine. We asked for more pillows and they delivered them quickly. Accepted pets for $15/night. Close to main roads and lots of shopping/restaurants. Staff was very friendly, and I almost hate to leave any negative feedback just because they were so nice.

CONS: Very strong odors of what everybody is cooking. If you're sensitive to odors, this is not the place for you. Our room had what I think was a curry smell. It stayed in my clothes and luggage even after I got home. It wasn't disgusting, but not something you care to smell every time you go back to the hotel. To be fair, we added our own smell with some chili I made, so I can't be too harsh. The kitchen was the main reason we chose this place, and it worked well. Overall, the place had a feel of a run-down apartment complex, with florescent lighting and really dirty carpets in the hallway. No elevator - we asked for a ground-level room because our dog recently had surgery and stairs are difficult; but non-smoking rooms were only on 2nd level, so we just carried her up and down the stairs. The lobby TV was staticky and unwatchable. I think they just had it on for the sound. Room cleanliness and comfort was just OK, about what I'd expect out of a 2-star hotel. Pillows were flat, but they delivered more when we asked. Drains didn't drain well. No dish soap at all - we used hand-soap to clean our dishes.

Probably would opt for a nicer place, even if we had to spend a lot more. For $35/night, I think we got our money's worth, but not much more than that.

Room Tip: Priceline name-your-own-price got our hotel for only $35 a night. I think regularly it was around...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AngieG_11
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Cincinnati - Fairfield, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I recently received a copy of a review about your experience at our hotel. Our company prides itself on providing superior guest service and a great room at a great rate. I was happy to read that we provided you with 100% guest satisfaction in terms of our guest services, but was saddened to read about the rest of your stay. For that, please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the condition of your room. Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Only certain rooms are designated as smoking rooms, the rest as non-smoking. It should never be the case that a guest who requests a non-smoking room is placed in a smoking room when the preferred room type is available. As well, because we offer kitchenettes in each of our rooms for guests to enjoy, it is sometimes a challenge to control the smells which can linger after one is done cooking. In response to your comments, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out how such an experience occurred and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Bid on priceline, and was assigned to this hotel. This is an extended stay property, so there are no extras. The property is in need of an update, very well worn. There is no housekeeping service for the duration of your stay, unless you stay for more than 7 days or pay a per day fee. The room comes with one bar of soap, no shampoo in sight. Bed was small (full size) and uncomfortable. Two flat pillows isn't enough for two adults.

Room comes with a full kitchen with pans and utensils, range/oven/microwave/toaster/coffee pot and full fridge. We didn't need this because we didn't go seeking out an extended stay hotel. Room was clean, but very well worn. Very stale smelling. AC worked excellent, temperatures were over 100 degrees.

Hotel has an outdoor pool which looked clean, but I did not use it. There are better hotels in the area that cost the same or less than this one, shop around. We liked this hotel so much that we checked out a day early to go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JustinH
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Cincinnati - Fairfield, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Cincinnati - Fairfield. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

It's not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging to read, it will help us make our hotel even better in the future. Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). I hope we have addressed your concern satisfactorily, and that you would give us the pleasure of having you as a guest again at this hotel or any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) brand location in the future
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I stayed here for a few weeks recently and the workers are nosy, rude, and pushy. I had to speak to Darryl a few times about some issues and the man rushed me off the phone every time. He could care less about the problems in the room. The room was clean and decent for the price. The food was VERY stale in the vending machines. I will not return due to the terrible customer service.

Room Tip: If you want horrible customer service this is your place. Just ask for Darryl.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Kingmondo
Fairfield, Ohio
Reviewed January 8, 2012

So after researching this hotel and looking into it, I only found one bad review. I figured it would be alright to stay at for a week, so I went and checked in. The woman at the front desk was very arrogant, rude, nosey, pushy and I found it to be quite disrespectful to someone paying their company. The room keys she activated for my room wouldn't work and she had to go to my room with me to make sure they worked. She awkwardly stood in the room asking a thousand questions about why I was staying there and what I would be doing, it was beyond friendly conversation and went onto asking for personal information.

I stayed in this hotel because of the price and because it seemed like the only decent hotel for this cheap price in the area. The first night I'm there, I had to go back down to the front desk later on in the evening to ask for the password for the wireless internet. The guy at the front desk sighed very loud over me asking for help and then slammed the password on a slip of paper into my hands. Didn't speak a word to me, just had a very crappy attitude.

A few hours into using the wireless internet, that you have to pay $5 for, I started receiving warnings from my anti-virus and malware protection. Keep in mind, I work on computers for a living and I am very aware of what I do on my computer and I keep all my programs updated and I do not visit sites that will cause any problems. Needless to say, the wireless internet service that they provided was putting a tracer on my computer, watching everything that I was doing. Inside the tracker they were using, was a trojan virus that wiped windows off my computer and it stopped working. So, now I have to fix my computer because of a cheap hotels nosey intrusion.

On top of that, the room was okay to the eye, but when you started looking around, you found things you do NOT want to see in a hotel room. The fridge, dishes, and silverware had a HORRIBLE smell that I have never smelled in my entire life. It smelled like some horrible chemical you'd think to associate with some kind of meth lab. I really can't explain the smell, but it did not smell clean. I searched the bed, trying to look for bed bugs or something of the sort, and found multiple blood stains as well as huge, dark yellow stains. The bed sheets had blood on them as well as tiny brown smudges. The comforter had a musky, old stench, that really grossed me out.

The toilet was filthy and looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in months, with a black ring around the top of the bowl. The shower had stains all over it and I had to wipe it down with a disinfectant before stepping into it. The carpets had huge stains all over them. The television was ancient and barely worked, the batteries in the remote were dead, the lightbulbs in the lights by the bed were left unplugged with blown lights. The window had water leaking in and left a horrible stain on the wall as well as a mold smell.

The second day of staying there, my room keycard was deactivated and I couldn't get into the building. I had to go back to the front desk and deal with the same guy who, again, sighed very loudly and threw my card on the desk after reactivating it, for me to pick up. This was the final straw for me, I decided my $283 was worth more than I was getting out of this place.

The area its located in, is very handy and close to everything, but I wouldn't advise anyone spend their money here. No customer service, dirty rooms, and monitoring/viruses on your computer. It is cheap and you are getting what you pay for here, garbage. Nothing more, nothing less.

Room Tip: Just don't bother staying here.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anonymous180
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting the Cincinnati area. It is very well located to food and the highway. Great place to stay as it is well situated and a reasonable price too. The rooms are a tad old and need updating but we can't complain as it was clean. Kitchen was supplied with basic items but no dish detergent so bring that with you. The young lady at check in was amazing and very helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
WoodSpring Suites Cincinnati Fairfield
#2 of 2 in Forest Park
Comfort Suites Forest Park
Comfort Suites Forest Park
#28 of 51 in Cincinnati

Been to Extended Stay America - Cincinnati - Fairfield? Share your experiences!