“A little secret treasure tucked away off Euclid Avenue”

Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I am not Catholic, but I have long looked at the front of this shrine as I drove by on Euclid Avenue (main thoroughfare)....finally one day I drove up the hill and went inside. What a lovely, peaceful and spiritual place this is! Anyone of any faith would appreciate it, for its beauty and contemplative qualities. It is beautifully maintained, and looks like a slice out of another world -- maybe in the 50s or in Europe. It is hard to believe it sits a hundred feet or so above a busy commercial road and factories. Once you are there, you are in a secluded little world. There is a beautiful shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, and stations of the cross located along a heavily wooded and twisting path. There is also a gift shop and I believe a cafeteria (I did not visit these).

Since discovering this hidden treasure, I try to visit every year and I recommend it to all my friends. It's one of the loveliest parts of the Euclid area, and a real surprise to visitors who can't believe it is hidden among such an unlikely part of town. If you are a local or visiting this area, make it a point to visit!

5  Thank Laurel F
There are newer reviews for Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Rising physically and metaphorically above the busy thoroughfare below, the wooded hillside on which the National Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes sits is truly filled with the peace one would expect on a mountain top retreat. Thousands have come here for prayer and for healing, many experiencing miraculous cures by visiting the grotto which is a replica of that in Lourdes, France. In fact, the waters that flow continuously in the grotto of this shrine do so over a chip from the stone on which Our Lady first appeared to St. Bernadette. Three pieces shaved from that stone in Lourdes (when it was being readied for a statue of Our Lady) were given to the nuns from this Euclid retreat when on pilgrimage in France. They were told by the priest in France who gave them the stone chips that it was Our Lady's desire that they use these stones in a replica shrine here. That is how and why this National Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes was built on this site, and why so many have found these grounds to be so holy. It is more than natural peace found here. It is the peace of heaven on earth.

8  Thank GREG M
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Any commuion baptism marraige they have lots of unique gifts for all holy occasions and it so beautiful to just sit and think.

4  Thank Christina L