“Great Value”

Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great Value and location which is right off Interstate 70. Staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean beds were ok. If you are looking for a inexpensive place to stay near the interstate this is a great choice. We had our softball team move to this hotel after we originally were to stay at the Holiday Inn which is located next door. Holiday Inn was so bas we checked out immediately after seeing the poor condition of the rooms. Best Western was great alternative to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Teresa W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for the great review! I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate your team. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and hope that if you are in the area again that you will stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Overall a good experience. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. Bathroom was fine. Breakfast was a 9 out of 10. Fresh waffles. Eggs, sausage, cereals, juices, etc. Clean. All we could ask for. Conveniently located, easy access to the highway.

I've read some other reviews complaining about smokers. Well, smokers are always going to be smokers. By nature they are inconsiderate. But you can't blame that on the hotel. They didn't bother me. And the night we stayed there, they had 5 buses loaded with Boy Scouts. We were assured at check-in, that if there was a problem with them, to give them a call and they would take care of it, but no call was needed. We never heard a peep out of them.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Teresa W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for the excellent review!

We strive to make every guest experience enjoyable even when we are at capacity.

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and with 5 buses of Boy Scouts and there were no problems. I appreciate the comments and will be sure to pass your comments on to the entire staff.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Great staff and service; room was clean and comfortable. Everything worked! I was able to connect my smartphone to the internet and I watched a movie on HBO. The bed was great and I slept uninterrupted.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your excellent review! It is always refreshing to know that our guests experience was a good one. I will be sure pass on your comments to the entire staff.

I hope that you will stay us again if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I went out of my way to stay at this property because I had had a very good experience here on three prior occasions. Unfortunately, this one was not so good. The staff is still friendly, accommodating, and professional. The "basics" are still attractive, albeit a bit more threadbare. Set back from the highway, this property is relatively quiet, although I discovered that the walls between rooms are thin. (Fortunately, the party next door ended early.)

But the arrival experience was bad enough to sour the stay: On either side of the front entrance there were clutches of smokers, so I had to run the thick and odoriferous gauntlet to get to the desk. There used to be outdoor tables with ash trays further away from the door--a pleasant spot for smokers and pleasantly distant for non-smokers--but the desk clerk told me that the Best Western corporate standards required that they be removed! When I asked why the smoking area couldn't be by the back door (at the other side of the lobby) she told me that people came in that way too. (Of course they do, but it's at least not at the main entrance!)

I hope the management of this hotel will join with others to tell "corporate" that their "standards" in this case are bad for business and bad for public health. Meanwhile, smokers deserve a comfortable spot to do their thing, and the rest of us deserve a smoke-and-odor-free main entrance. Even on the 4th floor front, I could smell the stale smoke. Surely the management can work something out to satisfy all parties. Until then, I do not recommend this hotel for non-smokers and people who don't mind the having to be around it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Teresa W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I want to apologize for the problems you encountered upon entering the building with the smokers.

I have spoken with the front desk staff for them to inform smoking guests that there is a smoking area in the back and also at the south end of the building. We will be putting the outdoor tables back in the area where you stated you saw them last year.

We will begin a complete renovation that will begin this fall. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to provide an excellent guest experience to you if you are in the area again.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

It has been ages since I last stayed at a Best Western Hotel. This particular Best Western was nice and has a very convenient location off of the I-70 corridor in Englewood, OH. I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while visiting Dayton, OH for a family reunion. I looked at other hotels in the vicinity (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, etc) but I opted to stay at the Best Western because I booked the hotel at a much cheaper rate on Priceline.com by naming my own price (saved about $30 per night off the price listed on Best Western's website.) What I did like about this hotel is that the staff was very friendly and helpful. It rained pretty hard one of the days we were there and I didn't have an umbrella. One of the front desk staff let me borrow his umbrella in order to let my boyfriend to get the car and pull it up to the front entrance so that I wouldn't get too wet. Likewise, on our first night there our room for some reason did not have a remote control for the TV. We stopped by the front desk and they were more than happy to get us a new remote. So, I must say the staff is very accommodating :-) Another perk is that they offer free breakfast from 7-10 am. I didn't eat the breakfast (because of food being provided at the family reunion) so I cannot comment on the quality/selection of the food, but it was nice that they offer breakfast.
Now, what I wasn't super impressed with was the hotel decor. This is certainly my personal opinion. Other people may not care about what their hotel room looks like on the inside, but I do! The room was not in horrible shape, but could certainly use some sprucing up! There was no funny smell when upon entering the room (thank God! LOL!) The wallpaper on the walls and the couch were outdated. The bed comforter also needs to be replaced with something more modern. Thankfully the bathroom was clean, but there was evidence of water damage (light brown stained ceiling tiles) on the ceiling. The shower curtain super thin, so it would have been nice to have a more up to date curtain (thicker material.) Again, these are just my personal preferences (compared to other hotels I have stayed at in other cities), but overall I was happy with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always good to hear that the staff was very accommodating and helpful.

We are going to be starting a complete renovation which will begin this fall and will include updating all the guest rooms as well as the lobby area. I hope that if you happen to be in the area again that you will stay with us.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I travel for a living and this was our second time at this hotel. Last year's visit was the same time frame. I must say this is the only Best Western I have ever stayed at and it is basically a good place to stay. The location is in a very good neighborhood. The front desk staff were nice and friendly. We never get room service during a hotel stay and so when my wife would swap stuff out with the housekeeping staff they were very accommodating.

The hotel has upgraded the TV's since last year to nice, 37" HD ones and I believe the channel variety also got better. The AC unit cooled sufficiently but not as good as it should have. We had to set the ac unit temp to 60 and turn the fan on high and so it took overnight to finally get it comfortable and then it stayed that way for the rest of the week. I failed to mention this upon check out because of the fact that it did cool the room and I never gave it another thought the rest of our stay.

In addition to the upgraded TV's they are in the process of hard-wiring the internet access. I hope they keep the wireless. The wireless internet speed was not an issue for my laptop or our iPads. In the room we stayed in there were some cosmetic issues in the bathroom where the plaster had fallen off the ceiling in a couple spots exposing the drywall but other than that the look of the hotel is ok.

We never ate the breakfast but I did check it out one morning. They had sausage patties, scrambled eggs, cereals, breads and juice so the variety was good. The breakfast area was kept clean.

I did use the fitness room a couple of times. The only issue I had with this was the lack of a waste basket that would have been nice to throw out the Clorox wipes used to wipe down the equipment after using them. I did mention this upon check out and the staff member said he would take care of it right away and was very apologetic.

Overall it was a good, comfortable visit. I am unsure of our travel plans next year, but if we do return I would have no problem staying at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for writing a review regarding your stay with us.

We are in the process of doing our upgrades. We will keep the wireless throughout the entire hotel in addition there will be hard-wired in every guest room.

We also will begin a complete renovation this fall and the issues that you mentioned will be taken care of.

I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay and I hope that you will stay with us again if your travel plans bring you to the Dayton area.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This stay was booked through a "hot prices" site, so I didn't get to research it first. While waiting for check-in, I noticed that my price was about $10 less than their auto club rate so that was a bonus. The carpet could have been cleaner, but the beds and bath were clean. The staff was friendly and helpful and an included breakfast is always a good thing. This was a good place to lay our heads for a few hours on our way home.

• Stayed: July 2013
Teresa W, General Manager at Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take your comments seriously whether they are good or bad. Any comments help us to determine where we may need improvement. We will be going through a renovation soon and the carpet will be replaced as well as many other upgrades. We hope that if you are in the area again that you will stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Airport
Comfort Inn & Suites Dayton
Clarion Inn Dayton Airport
Drury Inn & Suites Dayton North
Hampton Inn & Suites Dayton-Vandalia
Best Western Plus Dayton South

Been to Best Western Plus Dayton Northwest? Share your experiences!