“Adding insult to injury”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Rainier, Oregon
“Adding insult to injury”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This review would have been "average", or maybe "poor", based on the "non-smoking" room that reeked of cigarette smoke (others have registered the same complaint), the malfunctioning toilet and the generally dingy appearance of the room and the motel in general. The room had been prepaid using a bank card rewards points. But when we checked out, there was a $64.65 charge to the AmEx card that had been processed the night before for "additional charges". Showing the front desk clerk the paperwork to show it was prepaid made no difference. She refused to remove the charge, saying it was Choice Hotels policy. An e-mail to Sam Pandya, the manager, got no response. I have written to Choice's CEO, and expect some sort of response, but not yet. Clearly this motel is run by people who just don't care. As someone else suggested, they should be dropped from the Choice Hotels roster. Will not recommend this motel, and will never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

For starters, the hotel is difficult to get to from I-90, if it wasn't for my GPS i probably would not have been able to find it. The hotel itself reeked of cigarette smoke, and the upstairs hallways smelt of marijuana. As frustrating as smell was, it's not a deal breaker.

Bed bugs on the other hand.....are.

Upon doing a routine sweep for bedbugs, we found a dead insect in the sheets of the bed. When we informed the front desk, they seemed more perplexed by the fact that the insects had made it upstairs somehow, and not that they had a problem to begin with. This lead me to believe that they know that they have a problem, but have not done anything about it yet.

Regardless, they gave us a new room. Did the sweep again, found irregular black spots on the trim of the mattresses, but no other signs of insects.....until prior to going to bed when we saw one crawling across the headboard.

That was the deal breaker. We packed up and left immediately and booked a hotel elsewhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. You'll have a better night sleeping in your car. Probably a more hygienic on...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colin A

Travelers are raving about these Elyria hotels

Lilburn, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Hanging from the ceiling smoke detector, broken security lock on door, broken patched up bath tub!
room 109 should not be rented...health dept and fire dept have been made aware of problems.
I called priceline the following day to complain and was promised a phone call within 5 days....still waiting.
Sent email to the hotel manager= no response.
I will get a refund one way or another!
Will complain to health and fire department etc
Boy they are messing with the wrong guy...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pascal v
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a top ‘quality’ Quality Inn, no issues. Clean, quiet, with a big lot (but I wouldn’t call it ‘big rig’ parking). Another after midnight check in, meaning a late check out. Sign said breakfast until 9:30 but I was advised it was usually available until later, but it wasn’t. So I missed breakfast on one of the few days I was around late enough to eat it. Looked like it was a full layout.

*** usually I post my write-ups within a couple of days of my visit. This one is being posted a month later because I wanted to see how the billing issue was resolved before posting. I knew there might be an issue when I checked it, things just didn’t seem to go correctly. I had hoped it was resolved the next morning, but I watched my credit card to be sure.

There did end up to be an error, so first I emailed a reply to the address that my invoice was emailed from. No reply (ever), I did this twice before I started calling. I was told that the person I needed to talk to was not in when I called … and was not in when they said I should call back. So a month, two emails and three phone calls later I am no longer a happy camper. If things had not get moving on my fourth call I was ready to call corporate and my voice may have gotten that point across as after first giving me the ‘the person who handles that is not here …’ run-around, they decided to ask me some questions and we found out that I would need to contact the billing company to find out why I was double billed, the motel said they had done things correct.

I did email the billing company and within a couple of hours I received a reply that my account would be credited. So after all of this it was not the motel’s issue … but to find this out a month later, I had to contact a whole bunch of people at the motel who were not interested in helping. ***

As I am ready to post this, I read the other reviews and it looks like I may have given this location it’s first 4 STARS … until the billing issue.

I apologize to those I dealt with in person, but you are outnumbered by those I talked to on the phone and the person who ever answers their emails (at least not in the 1st month after receiving them)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Due to the recent storms from Hurricane Sandy - my hotel in Westlake lost power for two and a half days. I booked for two nights at this hotel out of desperation as every hotel I called was booked. I checked in at 9 am and by 4 pm the same day I checked out due to how filthy and nasty it was in my room. The bathroom is so small you barely have room to use the toilet. The toilet looked like it had not been cleaned in several months and so was the tub. I did a hover to even use the toilet. Dust, cobwebs, spiders and etc.....I was forced to use their shower and stood on a towel in the tub. The water barely came out of the shower and the water was gross. My skin and hair felt worse after the shower. the manager was a jerk - when I had called on the phone at 7:30 am he was going to charge me for the previous night as a early check in fee. I wanted a shower so bad that I still went. I arrived at 9:00 am and he told me that since it was after 9:00 he would not charge me the early check in fee? There was hardly anyone in the hotel so it wasn't like they had to scurry around to prepare a room. I went to work and was ready to cry thinking about how I would have to return to this hotel at the end of the day. I had decided I would spend the night in my office and only go back to take a shower. Thankfully, my original hotel called and said the power was back on. I drove right over checked out of this hotel. Because I had originally said I may need to stay two days...they tried charging me for two days. I told the older blonde lady at the front desk that was not happening. Then she tried to charge me for the previous night when I was not even checked in. She asked why I was checking out as I had only been in the room for a couple of hours. I told her how the bathroom was dirty and gross. I could not see how they were charging $70.00 when I had to share a room with a couple of spiders. I would rather stay in my truck. The women never said a word. Word of caution - do not stay here!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tecumseh, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed here 2012 08 25. we were met at the front desk by a young man named Dustin. Dustin works nights here to pay for his tuition.
No elevator and no rooms available on ground floor. Second floor rooms were adequate, clean and reasonably priced. Decor is a typical bland "Interstate Chic", inoffensive, efficient and unobtrusive
After a long day's drive, we checked in, dropped off our suitcases and went nearby for a quick bite to eat. Upon our return, we were locked out of our room because the swipe card reader (lock) was not working. Dustin, at the main desk initially offered us another room for the night until a handy man would arrive in the morning, (around 9:00 or 10:00) and then we could be reunited with our clothes and toothbrushes. He stated that he was alone at the front desk and not allowed to tamper with the swipe reader and that only a handy man could work on it. I explained that I had medication locked in the room with my luggage and could not wait until the serendipitous arrival of a handyman the following morning.
He was reluctant to let the manager know of this predicament, a troubling fact for me, as I thought that any manager would be keen to know of any issue effecting his business. Apparently not so in this establishment.
At any rate, Dustin worked on the lock, trying a couple of ways to get us back to our luggage. His consideration and diligence to our predicament was most appreciated and is the best part of our stay. At the end of his efforts we were reunited with our luggage, given another room as he felt that the lock may not be permanently fixed.
The rest of our stay was uneventful. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast satisfying and the staff friendly.
Concerns are: a feeling of a poor management and of course the troubling card swipe reader.
Dustin appears to be able to think for himself and act in the best interest of the business. He is a good employee working under what may be questionable management. If Dustin is not working, I would be hesitant to stay there.

Room Tip: There are 4 or 5 other hotels within 3 mins of this place. Check them out first.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColindeBain241
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

This is the worst Choice Hotel I have ever stayed in. I should have read the reviews. We took the last room for the night. As we walked into the lobby the stench of smoke was everywhere. The front desk staff was playing on the Internet on the business center pc. Check in was fine.

As we walked into the hallway of our hotel, the no smoking wing, I felt like I had just walked into a smoking bar. There was smoke lofting out of the first room of this wing. The door was propped open and I later saw the front staff person going in and out of that room. Our room had a strong odor of stale smoke.

Do not stay here. Choice hotel needs to not be associated with this hell hole.

Our smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling by one wire and the light next to my bed was broken.

The bedding had holes burned in it from I am guessing a cigarette.

There was wax candle wax on the tile floor that no one had bothered to clean up from previous guests.

I am a Choice Hotel Platinum member and will be in touch with corporate on Monday.

We haven't gone to the breakfast yet but here we go...

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jsanstrom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Best Western Inn
Cambria Hotel & Suites Avon - Cleveland
Days Inn Amherst
Days Inn Amherst
#1 of 2 in Amherst

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!