“Friendly staff, clean rooms”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Elyria
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Friendly staff, clean rooms”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here this past Friday night. First impressions are very important to me and although the area itself was a little daunting, the hotel, its staff, and amenities were fine. The woman at the front desk was friendly and efficient. The cookies and coffee station were a nice gesture for tired travelers. My decision on whether or not to stay in a hotel is always based upon how clean it is and I have absolutely no complaints in that department. Our room was very clean. I am the only one of the us who detected a very faint stale cigarette smell, but I am hypersensitive to odors and as I understand the reviews they are phasing out smoking rooms. It didn't affect me in any way - and it typically would. Breakfast was fine - standard issue. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank SammyJo227

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
West Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed June 27, 2014

My sister and I were traveling from New York back to Indiana, and Elyria, OH was our stopping point. First coming up to the place, we were a little worried because the area doesn't look to be that welcoming, and the hotel is right across from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections. To be perfectly honest, my sister and I were considering just driving straight home.

But we didn't. We gave the place a try, and it was perfectly fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this place, and while the location looks a bit scary- it's totally fine. There were a lot of people at the hotel, and for some reason, a lot of the men there that night liked to hang outside and smoke. It's a little worrisome for two women, but they were friendly and left people alone, and that's not the hotel's responsibility anyway.

Lady at the front desk was very nice. Room was clean and comfortable. After staying in a few hotels with AC that wasn't very efficient, we were happy to find that we actually had to turn up the AC since it chilled the room so fast.

The breakfast was very nice- lots of choices. The lady in the room cleaning was also very nice.

Pulling into the parking lot was like driving over a curb, so be careful on your tires.

But overall- very nice hotel. Very good deals. Don't let the location fool you!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Newer property - very clean and comfortable rooms. Only reason for not assigning 4 stars was poor wifi. Also slow check-in - missing 1 person at desk. Decent breakfast and clean dining area. Finally, air cond unit was very loud.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Sayre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were traveling from PA to Chicago and the Country Inn and Suites was our halfway point - we got there around 10 p.m. The front desk staff was friendly, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The continental breakfast was typical with fruit, pastries, waffles, etc., but the breakfast room attendant was very nice. We just had a quick overnight but the pool looked nice - it would have been nice to spend another night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We thrive on providing our guests with a clean and comfortable stay followed by a quality breakfast to begin every morning. Thank you for letting us know we are on the right track! We hope you have the opportunity to go for a swim or relax in our whirlpool when future travels bring your back to the area.

Paw Paw, Michigan
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was our first time staying at Country Inn & suites and my wife & I were very pleasantly surprised by the way the entire staff went out of their way to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The rooms were clean, perfume-free, neat, and very well supplied. What impressed me the most is NO PLASTIC at the breakfast buffet. They used real plates, real silverware, real cups for coffee...when was the last time you saw THAT in a motel?? The server - Tina - always went out of her way to make sure everything was to your liking, and really catered to the kids.I would highly recommend this motel to whoever may be staying in the greater Cleveland area - it's well worth the trip!

Room Tip: Suites on the ground floor are very large and convenient
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Richard B
Our entire staff wishes to thank you for your kind words about our hotel and your experience here. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed a clean and comfortable room accompanied by excellent service. Tina was honored you mentioned her by name. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to thank her for a job well done! It is nice to know that are choice to use dishes instead of foam plates and plastic wear for our breakfast is appreciated! Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us, we look forward to assisting again with future travels.

Edwardsburg, Michigan
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We stayed at Country Inn and Suites for two nights in a one bedroom suite for our teen's visit to Oberlin. I was expecting it to be quite nice given the reviews. On the plus side, the king bed in the bedroom was comfortable although once we removed the bedspread/comforter there was only a sheet and no blanket. The sofa bed in the living area was very lumpy and uncomfortable.
A lot of noise came in from the hallway especially as there was a tour group in the hotel and the leader kept knocking loudly on one door after another in both the evening and the morning. Although the breakfast bar was fairly extensive, on Saturday morning the food was pretty much all gone at 8 AM because of the tour group and it wasn't replenished by the time we had to leave for Oberlin. There weren't even any cups for coffee/tea left. This was disappointing. I walked by the desk and there were other guests complaining that they had been waiting 20 minutes for food.
Another problem with the hotel is that it is fairly isolated/cut off by two highways so that it is difficult to get to any restaurants and once you navigate, they're places like Bob Evans and they seem to close early. The area around the hotel is fairly sleazy with a correctional facility next-door and an 'adult' store just down the block. If we go back, I'll try to stay at a hotel on the other side of the highway, more convenient to restaurants and shops.
My guess is that the hotel would have been a better experience if not for the tour group, which seemed to overwhelm the staff and breakfast situation and resulted in a fair amount of noise. I still don't think it lives up to other recent comments but it probably would have gotten another star from me if not for the particular situation when we stayed.

Room Tip: Unless you absolutely have to have a separate bedroom, I'd probably choose a single room with tw...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay with us. I regret hearing of the inconveniences you experienced while visiting us. Our breakfast staff plans ahead and prepares for our busier days because we thrive on providing every guest a delicious breakfast to start their day off right, and I do apologize that the task escaped us during your stay. I have shared your review with our staff to ensure similar situations do not occur again in the future. I understand the frustration you must have felt when venturing out for shops and places to eat, I agree it can be quite a challenge. Everyone is looking forward to the improvements the road crews are bringing to our area that will eliminate the need of the bridge that accesses the North side of the highway where our local restaurants and shopping mall are located. I can assure you that although the location of our neighboring building may cause a little concern for a few visitors, we have never experienced any negative interactions from there. On behalf of our entire staff here at the Country Inn & Suites, Elyria OH, we appreciate your business and look forward for the opportunity to exceed your expectations on future travel needs.
apple creek
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Every staff person I encountered was very kind, helpful and friendly. The place is very clean & the chocolate chip cookies at the front desk were so yummy!! Lots of choices for breakfast. Not one complaint! Would highly recommend it!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
CISElyria, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. I am pleased to know that you had a clean and comfortable stay. Your compliments of our staff's service is appreciated and will be passed on to them. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the cookies and we look forward to assisting you again on future stays.

Michele
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elyria
Hampton Inn & Suites Elyria
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#3 of 11 in Elyria
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cleveland/Sheffield
Cambria Hotel & Suites Avon - Cleveland
Holiday Inn Express Vermillion
Candlewood Suites Cleveland North Olmstead

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Elyria? Share your experiences!